Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: In 1921, a United States submarine, the R-14, having run out of fuel at sea while looking for the missing tug USS Conestoga, rigged sails from blankets and hammocks sewn together. Bunk frames were used for yardarms and booms. The torpedo loading king post for a fore mast, the torpedo loading boom for a mizzen mast and the telescoping radio mast, for the main mast. The R-14 sailed 100 miles in five days to the port of Hilo, T.H. at a speed of two knots. It has been reported in March 2016 that the Conestoga has been located 3 miles off Southeast Farallon Island, probably sinking with-in a day of leaving port. All hands lost.
NSR - VA Service
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Roy Ator
Posted 2009-06-27 9:32 PM (#28078)

Great Sage of the Sea

Subject: NSR - VA Service

I have a service connected [ zero % ] hearing loss. In 1997 the VA Outpatient Clinic in Fort Worth fitted me with a pair of analog (oldstyle) hearing aids. I hated them with a passion as they amplified everything and were a great source of frustration. However it was essential that I wear them in many situations where hearing was of critical need. They did work! After 11 1/2 years, one of them finally crapped out (died). On Friday, 6/19, they replaced them with modern, fully automated, computerized over the ear units. After a full week of usage, I'm still amazed at their efficiency. I wear them all of the time. Wow, it's great to hear near normal again! I'm also a Priority 8 category patient but this is also being "reviewed".

I was very pleased [impressed!] with the service received from a VA clinic that is obviously operating way beyond designed capacity!

Edited by Roy Ator 2009-06-27 9:35 PM
steamboat
Posted 2009-06-28 6:20 AM (#28084 - in reply to #28078)
Master and Commander

Subject: RE: NSR - VA Service

A? Speak up, Roy, I can't hear Ya!!
Both my wife and I have some hearing loss. An outsider would really laugh at some of our attempts at conversation.
Glad you have found a solution. Also glad to hear that VA is providing benifits to you in return for all you (and Robin) have done personally for Vets.
Stay well, Shipmate.
Steamboat sends
Box kicker
Posted 2009-06-30 11:32 AM (#28168 - in reply to #28078)

Old Salt

I, also, recently changed from the analog hearing aid to a digitial hearing aid, and the difference is HUGE! It is interesting to fly now, where the hearing aids greatly decrease the jet noise, though now I hear most every conversation on the plane! Egad! And they dont come with volume controls any more as they are supposed to adjust automatically.

All kidding aside, they are well worth it!

Stan
docbeeghly
Posted 2009-06-30 1:01 PM (#28171 - in reply to #28078)
Senior Crew

Roy,
Can retired pukes like me use VA clinics for benifits? Medicare and Tricare for life wont pay for hearing aids. If so how many greenbacks do they cost thru the VA?
Doc Beeghly
subvetss
Posted 2009-06-30 3:36 PM (#28176 - in reply to #28078)
Senior Crew

The VA still will not acknowledge the hearing damage caused by long periods of snorkeling. Like for 50 plus days on 'spook' patrols way, way up north. Maybe that's because they won't acknowledge the 'spook' patrols.
Joe'the'Most
Roy Ator
Posted 2009-06-30 3:59 PM (#28178 - in reply to #28171)

Great Sage of the Sea

Doc, I'm in travel and don't have your new email address or phone number. Please send to royator@lipan.net and I'll get back about the VA procedure.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software