Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: How long will it take the average sailor to become a submariner? The average sailor will never become a submariner.
Cuba Opening Up
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Gil
Posted 2009-07-02 9:15 AM (#28238)
Master and Commander

Subject: Cuba Opening Up

This came from a translation of the Miami Herald I made on Babel:

The direct flights from Los Angeles to Havana were resumed Tuesday, after almost five years of interruption. Re anudación of direct flights happens two months after president Barack Obama eliminated the restrictions to visit Cuba and to send remittances from the United States. During the government of president George W. Bush, the Americans with immediate relatives in the island could visit them once every three years and only send up to 100 dollars monthly to their relatives. Although with few passengers, Boeing 737-800 patient by Continental Airlines left from the Airport the International of Los Angeles course for the Cuban capital in a flight that would take five hour and a half. The last direct flight from Los Angeles to Cuba was in July of the 2004, when the restrictions of Bush entered in force, indicated Maria Of the Carmen Sicard, owner of Marimar Travel & Tours, with soothes in South Gate. " This renewal of flights (from Los Angeles to Havana) is very important because it will save hours to the passengers and it is more advisable because now no longer it must go away by Tijuana or Cancún" , it said with reference to flights through Mexico disapproved generally by the American government. But since Obama eliminó=2 0restricciones in April, no longer are limits in the frequency of the trips that a Cuban can make to the island from the United States nor the amount of remittances be sent, and the family definition was extended to include until cousins in second degree, as well as to whatever it lives like " familia" in the house of the authorized traveller. Approximately 1,5 million Americans have relatives in Cuba. Also they can travel, previous permission of the federal government, certain people like professionals, academic and lecturers; also it is possible to be traveled by religious and humanitarian sports, and reasons. Although all cannot still travel to Cuba, apparently the elimination of restrictions has caused that Cuban want to travel to the island, added Of the Carmen Sicard. Nevertheless, the flight of Tuesday started off just by with 55 passengers, in the airplane with about 135 seats, explained Elise Heads, assistant of the general manager Michael Zuccato, agency Cuba Travel Services, with soothes in Long Beach, that denied that there is little demand. " We do not like to take to the airplane lleno" , it said Heads, whose company also is ordered to transact vu elos to Cuba. Heads added that until now only they have permission until August for direct flights from Los Angeles to Cuba. " Hopefully the Department of Transport resumes the permission to us in diciembre" , it pointed Heads, standing out that in Los Angeles are about 55.000 Cubans.
I never made it to Cuba, but may go now.  Hemingway's grand daughter shot a documentary on visiting her grandfather's bars, restaurants, and favorite places to go in Cuba that fascinated me.  I never got to Guantanamo or to Cuba when it was legal.
I assume it is legal now for non Cuban citizens or it will soon be.

Edited by Gil 2009-07-02 9:19 AM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software