Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: The USS NAUTILUS SSN 571 was the first submarine with a satisfactory single plant that can be used for main propulsion both surfaced and submerged.
Disinterred in Illinois
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

RCK
Posted 2009-07-09 11:25 AM (#28438)
Master and Commander

Subject: Disinterred in Illinois

The news about bodies being removed from their graves or stacked to make room for other deceased is dispicable. I have no doubt that this is going on in cemetarys across the country and not just Illinois. If we are running out of room to bury people than I favor cremation, but I think the current situation is caused by the greed of cemetary proprietors rather that lack of burial space.
Posted 2009-07-09 12:10 PM (#28439 - in reply to #28438)
COMSUBBBS

Subject: RE: Disinterred in Illinois

It's been going on for centuries. Usually with family crypts.
Hairball
Posted 2009-07-10 9:21 PM (#28473 - in reply to #28438)
Senior Crew

My brother, mother and father were cremated with thier ashes were sprinkled in the Atlantic and that's where I'm going. Our family always had a strong tie to the sea and there's something clean and decent about doing it our way of doing it.

Cheers. Hairy.

John396
Posted 2009-07-11 11:47 AM (#28495 - in reply to #28438)
Old Salt

Good for you Hairy one.
My ashes will be scattered around my moutain cabin, and along my favorite fishing stream. UPPPPS watch where you step.
JrKrup, Skimmer
Posted 2009-07-11 1:35 PM (#28500 - in reply to #28495)

Master and Commander

I want to be cremated, with my ashes interred in that mountain in Nevada where they will be storing the high level radioactive wastes. That way nobody will be able to walk on my grave without themselves keeling over in radioactive death.

The devil that I am!
Land Lubber
Posted 2009-07-11 2:51 PM (#28504 - in reply to #28438)
Old Salt

I remember this also happened a few years ago in California. I remember people found their loved one's headstones had been removed and stacked in a romote area of the cemetary. When the investigation started small remains of human bones were found laying on the ground in some areas.
Like one woman interviewed recently said.. the cemetary had not expanded in years so how was it possible to continue to bury people?
I think in the old days a cemetary would simply close when it became full but that led to it being abanded and usually fell into disrepair. Now it seems they simply empty the graves and re-use them and are able to stay in business.
It is a sad sad thing.
I just read about Captain Bligh being placed in a tomb next to his wife. After a few years the cemetary ceased operation and became overgrown. People began using the cemetary as a trash dump. Later it was decided to clean up the property and they re-discovered Captain Bligh and his family.

Take Care,
Steve
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software