Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: "The Turkish skipper of ex-USS Tang, when asked about the difference between the German designed and built replacement boats for their retiring ex-US boats, is reported to have said, "American submarines are built for war, German submarines are built for export."
Questions, questions, questions.....
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Corabelle
Posted 2009-07-10 7:57 PM (#28468)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: Questions, questions, questions.....

Elmer said, "My battle station surface was on the 30 caliber machine gun." Should he have said, 'surfaced' instead of 'surface'? Was he using correct Navy lingo by leaving off the 'd'?

Did he hold the machine gun in his hands, or was it mounted on the deck? I'll try to find a picture of a 30 caliber machine gun. When this is written, is there a period in front of the '30'? Such as '.30 caliber machine gun'?

I'm a little confused, because since I asked questions last, I found more information on Wikipedia about the Sterlet, and it says, in describing the boat, "Armament: one five-inch gun, one 40mm cannon, ten 21 inch torpedo tubes."

My questions about this: Is the five-inch gun the one that had 'pointers,' 'setters,' 'trainers,' 'labs,' & 'poodles'? Just checking to see if you were paying ATTENTION!

A 40mm CANNON on a submarine? Can this be right?

TEN 21 inch topedo tubes? TEN? I thought there were four forward and two aft. If there were TEN, how were they placed?

I have a brilliant idea, DEX. If your lovely Doris can spare you, why don't you commona my house, and help me with all this technical stuff? Warning; I don't cook. If it can't be warmed up in the microwave, forget it.

You guys should see the top of my desk. Submarines all over it. And on the dining room table. And on the breakfast bar. No flat surface is left uncovered. Can structure come from all this? If I ever finish this project, it will take the rest of my life to find the SURFACE, SURFACE, SURFACE of everything in my house!!!! (Did I just hear three 'o-o-o-gas'?.)

Getting silly now. Gotta go.

Cora

Ric
Posted 2009-07-10 10:22 PM (#28476 - in reply to #28468)

Plankowner

Subject: RE: Questions, questions, questions.....

Elmer said, "My battle station surface was on the 30 caliber machine gun." Should he have said, 'surfaced' instead of 'surface'? Was he using correct Navy lingo by leaving off the 'd'?

Answer: Either could be correct, your call I would think.

Did he hold the machine gun in his hands, or was it mounted on the deck? I'll try to find a picture of a 30 caliber machine gun. When this is written, is there a period in front of the '30'? Such as '.30 caliber machine gun'?

Answer: No, this was a heavy gun and it was mounted so all he had to do was point and shoot.

I'm a little confused, because since I asked questions last, I found more information on Wikipedia about the Sterlet, and it says, in describing the boat, "Armament: one five-inch gun, one 40mm cannon, ten 21 inch torpedo tubes."

Answer: The Perch class was the last class to have 6 tubes. This was followed by the Salmon, Sargo and Seadragon classes with 8 tubes, (4 bow, 4 stern). The Tambor class and all to follow had 10 tubes. 6 fwd and 4 aft.

My questions about this: Is the five-inch gun the one that had 'pointers,' 'setters,' 'trainers,' 'labs,' & 'poodles'? Just checking to see if you were paying ATTENTION!

Answer:Yes but not sure about the poodles.

A 40mm CANNON on a submarine? Can this be right?

Answer: This was the 40MM Bofors gun, the gun had pointers and trainers minus the setters and poodles and fired ammunition from 4 round clips dropped into the top. Most film footage is of the double mount gun shooting at aircraft.

TEN 21 inch topedo tubes? TEN? I thought there were four forward and two aft. If there were TEN, how were they placed?

Answer: The Perch class was the last class to have 6 tubes. This was followed by the Salmon, Sargo and Seadragon classes with 8 tubes, (4 bow, 4 stern). The Tambor class and all to follow had 10 tubes. 6 fwd and 4 aft.

I have a brilliant idea, DEX. If your lovely Doris can spare you, why don't you commona my house, and help me with all this technical stuff? Warning; I don't cook. If it can't be warmed up in the microwave, forget it.

Answer: You really don't want to do this. you will never get the house smelling right again.

JrKrup, Skimmer
Posted 2009-07-11 1:27 PM (#28498 - in reply to #28476)

Master and Commander

The 30 caliber Browning machine gun was light enough for one man to carry, and it COULD be fired while being carried, but it would have been cumbersome. It had a swivel arrangement on the bottom that would be set into a verticle "pipe" that would/could be called a "mount." They were NOT left topside when the submarine would submerge, but would be either carried below, or stowed in a watertight locker.

The Browning M1919 .30 cal machine gun is an air cooled, belt fed, recoil operated, fully automatic, mounted weapon. It weighs 31 lbs unloaded and without mounts. It had a rate of fire of 400 - 600 rounds per minute, firing a (civilian version 30-06) round.

For a photo (on a ground tripod) go to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M1919_Browning_machine_gun

Flapper
Posted 2009-07-13 3:41 PM (#28551 - in reply to #28468)

Master and Commander

Corabelle wrote:
'Elmer said, "My battle station surface was on the 30 caliber machinegun." Should he have said, 'surfaced' instead of 'surface'? Was heusing correct Navy lingo by leaving off the 'd'?'

I think Elmer's version is fine. To put it in context, I suspect that the the 1MC announcement would have been "Man battle stations surface!" or "Man battle stations torpedo!" The latter case implies you're submerged, and the guys that would normally be in gun crews if surfaced would likely go to the forward or aft torpedo room to assist in reloads, if neccessary.
Bear
Posted 2009-07-13 4:43 PM (#28554 - in reply to #28468)

Great Sage of the Sea

Cora   Something that might help you with you project is a book called

Squadron Signal Gato-Class Submarines in Action No.28

It shows drawing of the weapons and the layouts of the different types of boats and lists on ebay for $12.99 plus $3 shipping

I will try to scan and send you the 5" and 40mm drawings Here is a picture showing Sterlet's 5" and 40mm (5'' is closest) I think there are some 30 cals in the picture as well I just can not pick them out.

Edited by Bear 2009-07-13 4:45 PM

(0839204.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 0839204.jpg (49KB - 506 downloads)
Corabelle
Posted 2009-07-13 6:46 PM (#28559 - in reply to #28554)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: JAN...Mr. BEAR...ahem...

I have that picture of the Sterlet. It was taken, I believe, after WWII, but before major 'refit' was done, which included the enclosure of the sail (?), and the addition of the bulbous sonar nose.

But...did you find the picture of the Sterlet in the book, 'Squadron Signal Gato-Class Submarines in Action No. 28'? The reason I ask is that the Sterlet was a Balao-Class Submarine.

Are there lots of pictures in this book?

Oh, and is the 40 mm on the cigarette deck?

Thanks, much...

Cora

Edited by Corabelle 2009-07-18 10:36 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software