Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: How long will it take the average sailor to become a submariner? The average sailor will never become a submariner.
Cowboy.
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Hairball
Posted 2009-07-19 3:17 AM (#28712)
Senior Crew

Subject: Cowboy.

I was backing up my files when I came accross this. I never met Cowboy but we did exchange a couple of emails. In one of them he told me all about his (4 legged) buddy Zeke. Zeke loved to watch TV and when there was anything that had cattle doing bovine stuff Zeke would bark at the TV and race about his room. Cowboy and Zeke were best buddies.

As I said, I never met him and I wish I had, but it's on my, 'To do,' list for the next life.

Hairy.

====================

38 Years Ago Under the Stars
by Gary McLaughlin aka Cowboy
I was driving along this morning coming back from getting my truck serviced and my mind just wandered off (it does that a lot as I get older)......

In my mind it was 38 years ago, aboard the USS Sterlet, somewhere in the South Pacific. We were in transit, it was 0200, the after battery sleeping compartment was dark, only the sounds of farts and snoring could be heard over the melodic hum of the Fairbanks Morse engines. We were running on the surface, in transit, not involved in any ops, just cruising along at "All Ahead Standard", propulsion on two main engines, with a fully charged battery!

The boat was rolling gently as we traveled along in a generally westerly direction on our way to WestPac. I was a brand new qualified QM striker, "standing" a QMOW (mid watch). The control room and con were rigged for red, and the blast of fresh ocean air coming down the conning tower hatch into the control room, then aft to the engine rooms, was exhilarating!

With permission from my boss, the QM2, I climbed up the ladder into the con, and yelled up through the hatch, "Permission to come topside, Sir?" "Permission Granted!," the OD answered. I brought him and the lookouts fresh coffee.

I climbed up that short ladder to the bridge, and thought about farting in the face of my buddy who on the helm as I went by him, then thought better of it, the night was too perfect for that). And once topside smelling the fresh ocean air, feeling the light breeze in my face, watching the phosphorescent plankton in our wake, the most amazing blanket of stars imaginable, it was like you could scoop them with a ladle! And there was the gentle hum and vibration of the engines, and the smoke coming out with the sea water in the exhaust. Every so often the breeze would change direction and we would get a whiff of that diesel exhaust mixed with the seawater - what a smell, like perfume to a pig boat sailor - nothing like following a big truck or a bus down the road. That was the smell of heaven to nineteen year old who just trying to learn how to be all grown up!

Every so often a flying fish would fly by the sail, almost close enough for me to reach out and catch with my bare hand!

Then, the OD, a great "jg", whose name I cannot remember but whose face I can clearly see, would give me a lesson on the sextant, teaching me how to shoot the stars just as it had been done for centuries before by our seafaring ancestors.

"Permission to smoke, sir?", I would ask. "Granted", the OD would answer, and I would reach up and unroll my t-shirt sleeve (just like they did in West Side Story, because I was "cool", and shake a Pall Mall out of the pack, take my official USS Sterlet Zippo out of my cut-off's, flick it open with one hand (because, after all, I was cool and an old salt by then), and bring the lighter up near my mouth and the end of the cigarette. Just as I was about to light it, I remembered, "what if there's a Jap airplane up there, and he sees the flash of my lighter, it could give our position away!" So I would duck down behind the bridge cowling and light up, always remembering to cup the lit end of the cigarette in my hand so the glow couldn't be seen by the "enemy", whoever they were that night!

As I look back now, an older man, to those wonderful days of my youth, to the adventure, the thrills, the friendships, I do think that if I knew then what I know now I might have paid the Navy, instead of them paying me (about $98.00 per, plus $50.00 dive pay) just to be a part of that. For whatever it might have cost me, the memories and pride I have at this stage of my life for having been there and done that would have made it the best deal I ever got!

Happy Independence Day, America.......and to you, my wonderful shipmates!

Cowboy
(This story was written just a few days prior to Independence Day, 2000 -- Ed.)

steamboat
Posted 2009-07-19 6:46 AM (#28716 - in reply to #28712)
Master and Commander

Subject: RE: Cowboy.

Just another example of the debt of gratitude the we owe THE COWBOY!.(And for that matter for all those who have the talent to put into words how all us old DBFers feel about our boats and the time we spent aboard them).
Thanks for posting, Aaron, and thanks Cowboy. Hope you and Zeke are riding a good mount over the plains of Fiddlers Green!

Steamboat sends
Ric
Posted 2009-07-19 7:13 AM (#28717 - in reply to #28712)

Plankowner

During the Bash At The Ranch Denisse and I had Zeke's "room" to sleep in. It was a nice room. The only reason that Denisse and were staying in the "big house" was because Denisse is handicapped. When I was asking Gary about some place we could rent an RV to bring to use at the Bash and told him the reason, the really great guy that he was came to top and he offered to have us stay in Zekes' room. Getting back to the story, we'd wake to hearing Zeke barking in the TV room next door. (I think John Clear was sleeping in there on a cot). Gary would put Zekes' favorite tape in the VCR and he would go nuts barking at the action on the screen. The screen was wet with Zekes' drool, (kind of like Stoops when he sees Billy Mays in a OXYCLEAN commercial). The dog was in 7th heaven. He got to see that tape a number of times a day. R.I.P. Zeke and Gary!
Hairball
Posted 2009-07-19 8:20 AM (#28720 - in reply to #28712)
Senior Crew

Cowboy and Zeke were the best and I think that Zeke had the soul of a Submareener (or Submariner for our Ozzie friends).
As I mentioned we only emailed once or thrice and I wish I had saved them. But I do remember that even though I'm a Wannabe, he once called me, "Shipmate," and to someone like me - and coming from him... well, you treasure it.

Yep, I think Fiddler's Green has to have the best Tavern's and Barbeques and for Zeke, the prettiest, female Canine beauties and - the best and biggest steaks.

Moored by the dock will be Gato's, S Boats, Balao’s and other fine smokeboats... not to go to war, but to experience the, "One more time," sounds, smells and brotherhood that only a submareener would understand. And yes, perhaps this Limey too.

Bloody hell, between the bloody phone and the paper-mountain on my desk - I have to actually do some work.

Hairy.
Gil
Posted 2009-07-19 8:35 AM (#28721 - in reply to #28712)
Master and Commander

Thanks to all of you and especially the cowboy for a wonderful memory lane post - wish he were still here.  
Don Gentry
Posted 2009-07-19 8:38 AM (#28723 - in reply to #28712)

Admin

I thought that looked familiar!  I saw that post on a bbs... can't remember if it was Martini's or Olgoat's.  But I really enjoyed it and asked him if I could post it - of course, he said yes.  Nine years ago it was....

http://www.submarinesailor.com/stories/cowboy1.htm

Doc Gardner
Posted 2009-07-19 8:58 AM (#28724 - in reply to #28720)

Master and Commander

Ah; Fiddlers Green; a great place for sailors; Gary used to call me on the phone at the strangest times just to swap a story he'd remembered. The oral stories were every bit as good as the written ones

Edited by Doc Gardner 2009-07-19 5:49 PM

(fgreen-s.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments fgreen-s.jpg (21KB - 441 downloads)
Runner485
Posted 2009-07-19 10:19 AM (#28727 - in reply to #28723)

COMSUBBBS

Damn it's been awhile. When did Gary go on Eternal Patrol? Seems like just yesterday I was reading where he died in his pickup..
Ric
Posted 2009-07-19 10:25 AM (#28728 - in reply to #28727)

Plankowner

I think it was 2002 just shy of his birthday in October. As I understand it he was driving back from a subvets meeting and felt something was wrong and pulled off the road and shut the truck off and then passed. If someone has better info please post it. I miss the guy. I watch the Bash video from time to time and can hardly believe he's gone.
Corabelle
Posted 2009-07-19 10:52 AM (#28730 - in reply to #28728)

COMSUBBBS

September 17, 2005. Elmer and I had met him at the Sterlet Reunion in May (or, was it June?), 2005. In fact, we had just returned from Nashville the day before we met you for the first time here in Rapid. You were on your way to work at the Russian submarine when you drove through our town on I-90.

Cora
Stoops
Posted 2009-07-19 10:54 AM (#28731 - in reply to #28728)
Master and Commander

Ric - 2009-07-19 10:25 AM

I watch the Bash video from time to time and can hardly believe he's gone.

You're one to talk about drool. The only reason you watch the Bash video so much is you're lusting after Don and his dark hair....don't cha wish you had some?
Ric
Posted 2009-07-19 11:56 AM (#28733 - in reply to #28730)

Plankowner

You are right Cora. It comes back now. I was in Providence when he passed.

I went thru your area May 25 heading east.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software