Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: "I don't know why we have to be down here on this hold down exercise(at the 60th hour). Hell, I went through this on the Thresher (SS 200) during WW ll with a Nip Sea Going Tug hooked onto our screw guards, trying to lift our butts out of the water. They didn't get us then, and these Tin Cans (ours) ain't going to get us now." -- "Hambone" Hamilton SD1 (SS). "Hambone" made 13 war patrols on USS Remora, SS-487, uttered these words in July 1957 during a hold down exercise off Kobe Japan.
Frank McCort Dies NSR
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Runner485
Posted 2009-07-19 4:55 PM (#28745)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: Frank McCort Dies NSR

Frank McCourt, a former New York City schoolteacher who turned his miserable childhood in Limerick, Ireland, into a phenomenally popular, Pulitzer Prize-winning memoir, “Angela’s Ashes,” died Sunday. He was 78 and lived in Manhattan and Roxbury, Conn.

The cause was metastatic melanoma, said Mr. McCourt’s brother, the writer Malachy McCourt.
============================================
Sad to hear of his death....He was a gentle man who told a wonderful story.
miss lumpy bumps
Posted 2009-07-19 5:49 PM (#28749 - in reply to #28745)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: RE: Frank McCort Dies NSR

A truly wonderful man of great courage.  He and his brother, actor Malachi lived a life of pure hell and turned it around to become part of the best that is Irish.  He will be sorely missed. 

"May the road rise up to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, and may you be in Heaven 1/2 hr. before the Devil knows you're dead.  God Bless.
whalen
Posted 2009-07-19 5:50 PM (#28750 - in reply to #28745)

Great Sage of the Sea

Subject: RE: Frank McCort Dies NSR

I really liked Frank McCort's writing -- and his brother Malachy's too!

I told a friend about ANGELA'S ASHES (very depressing memoir) and he picked it up as a book-on-tape for a long car trip.  After a while, he said, it was all he could do to keep from driving into overpass columns....

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software