Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: There are more airplanes at the bottom of the ocean than there are submarines in the sky; therefore I chose submarines over aviation.
'The Sailor'...does anyone know who wrote this?...
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Blue from West Oz
Posted 2009-07-21 4:52 AM (#28805)

Master and Commander

Subject: 'The Sailor'...does anyone know who wrote this?...

I found this saved on my computer and I posted it on my Facebook page...and I don't know who to credit for it.

THE SAILOR

Between the security of childhood and the insecurity of second childhood, we find a fascinating group of humans called sailors. They come in assorted shapes,sizes,weights and states of soberness. They can be found anywhere on ships, submarines, in bars, in love, in brothels and always in debt. Girls love them, towns tolerate them and governments support them.
A sailor is laziness with a pack of cards,has the brain of an idiot and the inspiration of Cassanova, and when he wants something it is usually connected with grog. Some of his likes are women, girls, females, dames, and the opposite sex. He dislikes answering letters, wearing his uniform, superior officers, navy food and having to get up in the morning. No one else can get into a uniform pocket, a little black book, a packet of cigarettes, photo's of current girlfriends, a comb, a bottle opener, keys of a woman's apartment and what's left of a months pay. He likes to spend his money on girls, horses, a lot of beer and the rest foolishly. A sailor is a magic creature you can lock out of your home, but not your mind. You might as well give in, he is your long away from home lover, your blurry eyed good for nothing bundle of worry and all your dreams become insignificant when your sailor knocks on your door and looks at you with those bleary bloodshot eyes and says " Hi Ya Honey".

Blue *_*

Stoops
Posted 2009-07-21 5:24 AM (#28806 - in reply to #28805)
Master and Commander

Subject: RE: 'The Sailor'...does anyone know who wrote this?...

Written in the style of Arthur Godfrey who did two of those---"What is a boy?" and "what is a girl"

I don't know who wrote that story, but thanks for posting.
docbeeghly
Posted 2009-07-21 7:23 AM (#28807 - in reply to #28805)
Senior Crew

I dont know who wrote it but it sounds like the story of my life.
The beagle doc
steamboat
Posted 2009-07-21 2:09 PM (#28811 - in reply to #28805)
Master and Commander

It was definately written by a sailor. This guy has BTDT. And his references to a bottle opener and a comb (present-day sailors don't have hair enough to comb), dates him about the mean average age of us old pharts on this board. Good words for sure!!
Steamboat sends
Stoops
Posted 2009-07-21 3:53 PM (#28813 - in reply to #28805)
Master and Commander

http://home.att.net/~scorh/WhatIsBoy.html
dex armstrong
Posted 2009-07-22 5:41 AM (#28821 - in reply to #28805)

COMSUBBBS

On REQUIN we said...."A boatsailor can go damn near anywhere and make out OK if he has a Zippo and a shot glass." Remember when we all carried packs of sea-stores, nickle a pack, smokes in our sock? DEX
Doc Gardner
Posted 2009-07-22 5:50 AM (#28822 - in reply to #28805)

Master and Commander

Subject: There is a Royal Marine version of this

Apparently there are many versions of this. If found this version on a Royal Marine Website and it attributes it to a "WREN" but there is a ? so they don't know either.
Nice quote, however
Cheers,

What Is a Bootneck !?

Between the security of childhood and the insecurity of manhood, we find a fascinating species of humans called “BOOTNECKS”.

They come in all shapes and sizes. In trucks. In boats. In various barracks. In love and always in debt.

Girls love them. Towns tolerate them and the Government supports them - Just.

A “BOOTNECK” is sharp with a pack of cards. Deadly with a set of darts and protector of the earth on half a dozen pints. He has the speed of a striking slug - the slyness of a fox - the brains of a rocking horse and the stories of a sea captain. He has the sincerity of a born liar and the aspirations of Casanova.

Some of his interests are girls, woman, females, dames, birds, the opposite sex and spending other peoples money.!!!

His dislikes are answering letters, wearing uniform, provost Sergeants, BFT, the RSM and reveille.

No one else could cram into one pocket - a crumpled ID card, a packet of crushed cigarettes, a picture of his (or an oppo’s) girlfriend(s), a comb, a bottle opener, an old leave pass and what’s left of last months pay.

He likes spending money on beer, sometimes on girls, some on horses, some on football pools and the rest... foolishly.

A “BOOTNECK” is a magical creature. You can scratch him off your nominal roll - but never off your mind.

He is your one and only hairy arsed, good for nothing bundle of worries. But all your shattered dreams come whole again, when he comes staggering home - looks at you with those big bloodshot eyes and simply says..“Hello love Gis a go of your body”

By a WREN?

Corabelle
Posted 2009-07-22 5:24 PM (#28848 - in reply to #28822)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: RE: There is a Royal Marine version of this

Maybe I shouldn't ask, but what does, "Hello love Gis a go of your body" mean?

Cora
iPOD
Posted 2009-07-22 9:51 PM (#28860 - in reply to #28848)

Master and Commander

Yes Cora maybe you shouldn't ask.
Blue from West Oz
Posted 2009-07-23 4:56 PM (#28907 - in reply to #28848)

Master and Commander

Corabelle - 2009-07-23 7:24 AM

Maybe I shouldn't ask, but what does, "Hello love Gis a go of your body" mean?

Cora

"gis a go".......... basically,, "give us a go"
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software