Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: A church in Kyoto, Japan calls its congregation to worship with a bell from a submarine. The bell, from the submarine USS RAY was purchased for the church, and was transported to Yokosuka, Japan by another submarine, the USS RONQUIL.
Aw, DEX...
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Corabelle
Posted 2009-07-22 4:58 PM (#28846)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: Aw, DEX...

I have a question for you. On the Internet, and also as a kinda gift from a couple of the guys here, is a picture of the USS Sterlet. It's labeled as 'Circa 1944-45.' It does look as it looked during WWII - armament and all, so I'm putting it into the book. There is a problem, though. The hull number '392' is boldly painted on the conning tower. That's the right number, of course, but my brother told me several times that, for security reasons, the hull number was NOT painted on the hull during the war. The picture is in the thread (rolled off now) named 'Questions, Questions, Questions.' And, Crystal put it up for me on another thread, so, 'splain this picture to me, please.

And, who e-mailed you that I wanted to slit your throat? That's misinformation. In fact, I think you ought to come to Rapid and help me with the technical parts of the book. As I said before, I don't cook though...unless it can be warmed up in the microwave.

Cora
Ric
Posted 2009-07-22 5:55 PM (#28849 - in reply to #28846)

Plankowner

Subject: RE: Aw, DEX...

Cora the photo was most likely taken just after the war ended. Hull numbers were painted out during the war. As soon as the war ended they were put back on.
Bear
Posted 2009-07-22 6:37 PM (#28851 - in reply to #28846)

Great Sage of the Sea

actually it could have been before she went on 1st war patrol arrive in spring of 44 or after her last war patrol in summer of 45 right before she left for states
PaulR
Posted 2009-07-22 6:44 PM (#28852 - in reply to #28846)

Master and Commander

Here is the same photo, minus the numbers.

(sterlet.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments sterlet.jpg (98KB - 474 downloads)
Ric
Posted 2009-07-22 7:41 PM (#28853 - in reply to #28852)

Plankowner

PaulR - 2009-07-22 6:44 PM

Here is the same photo, minus the numbers.

Well, she's in Pearl that is for sure. I'm willing to bet the numbers were removed to make it look like a WW II photo. Perspective is too good to have been added.
I have many photos in my collection that have been modified by someone to make the boat look like another or going a differet direction.

Corabelle
Posted 2009-07-22 8:43 PM (#28856 - in reply to #28852)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: Thank you, Paul...

...Did you delete the numbers? Or did you find another picture. Jeez, I wish I could see the faces of the men on the boat. If the dates are right, my brother could be one of the sailors in the picture.

Thanks again - I'll use this copy in the book.

Oh, they were on the fifth war patrol, right off the coast of Japan when the first atomic bomb was dropped. They were told to move farther out to sea and dive as deep as they could. No one, of course, knew what to expect with this bomb, and the men on the Sterlet were given those instructions, but were not told why. They returned to Midway (I think it was Midway), and didn't leave for San Diego until later that fall. Elmer had a leave (only his second - the first was after Boot Camp) and spent Thanksgiving at home, but had to return to San Diego and the Sterlet for a couple more months before he could be discharged.

Which is the genuine, original picture? Were numbers added to, or deleted from, the original? How do you know it was Pearl, Ric?

Cora

Edited by Corabelle 2009-07-22 8:59 PM
Ric
Posted 2009-07-22 9:14 PM (#28858 - in reply to #28856)

Plankowner

Subject: RE: Thank you, Paul...

I recognize the buildings. Pearl would have been a logical stop after Midway

I'm 99% sure the one with numbers is the original as I said in my post.

This photo was taken September 1, 1945.
The day before the Japanese surrendered. No numbers.
I bet the next day numbers were being painted on.
Sterlet could be any one of these boats.
Note buildings and palms.

iPOD
Posted 2009-07-22 9:42 PM (#28859 - in reply to #28858)

Master and Commander

And I bet the guys on the roof in the foreground thought they had the best goofing off spot in town until the CO got acopy of the photo.
Ric
Posted 2009-07-22 10:10 PM (#28861 - in reply to #28859)

Plankowner

The photo was taken from the escape training tower.
docbeeghly
Posted 2009-07-23 5:30 AM (#28868 - in reply to #28846)
Senior Crew

And I dont see any numbers painted on the sails of any of those boats.
the beagle doc
PaulR
Posted 2009-07-23 5:55 AM (#28869 - in reply to #28853)

Master and Commander

Ric - 2009-07-22 10:41 PM
PaulR - 2009-07-22 6:44 PMHere is the same photo, minus the numbers.
Well, she's in Pearl that is for sure. I'm willing to bet the numbers were removed to make it look like a WW II photo. Perspective is too good to have been added.I have many photos in my collection that have been modified by someone to make the boat look like another or going a differet direction.

You're right Ric, I took the pic to my "Photoshop".  I have no idea when the original (with numbers) was taken, but it was MODIFIED last night @ 2130 EDT.

I thought this would fit into Cora's plans better than the original.

Ralph Luther
Posted 2009-07-23 7:21 AM (#28873 - in reply to #28859)
COMSUBBBS

I believe POD is referring to those skylarking swabs on the roof top of the building in the lower left
Doc Gardner
Posted 2009-07-23 8:12 AM (#28878 - in reply to #28873)

Master and Commander

Ralph Luther - 2009-07-23 10:21 AM

I believe POD is referring to those skylarking swabs on the roof top of the building in the lower left

Those guys are skylarking; the COB sent them up there to inventory all that trash and to stack it neatly. They're just developing their work plan
Damn "A" Gangers always picking on the deck apes
dex armstrong
Posted 2009-07-23 10:28 AM (#28892 - in reply to #28846)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: Cora, Info from Naval History Section, Washington Navy Yard

Cora, Thanks for the kind words in your post. I'm a self confessed China Shop Bull...I walk through flower beds, spend a helluva lot of time pulling my foot out of my mouth, tapdance through cow pie piles and say inappropriate things at inappropriate times. Ask your future forebearance, and forgiveness. I do love teasing with you....I am trying to learn how to cook (Jon Krup....has taught me some bachelor cooking tips. Jon's one helluva good cook...I'm interested in survival cooking...fixed income heated chow for idiots that live by themselves....boiling corn-on-the-cob...hot dogs...slapping together peanut butter and mayonaise sandwiches...ham sandwiches...chicken salad sandwiches....heating up Mrs Paul's fish sticks....frying up hamburgers and heating up Dinty Moore beef stew. I can operate the stove...toaster...pressure cooker...(learning Crock Pot cooking) and the microwave....I make a great melted Jarlsberg cheese on Vienna Bread toast. Just want to find a gal who can turn out a meatloaf using real genuine atery clogging bacon grease. Next, Here's the Naval History take on your hull numbers question. (They talked to four WWII submarine sailors.) Hull numbers were obliterated when heading to, while in and returning from combat area assignments....This was done to keep enemy observers from being able to tie specific submarines to their missions, their known characteristics or limit the impression that we were operating with a specific number of boats. Post war study of Japanese intelligence analysis found that they were under the impression that we had far more (over two times of our actual number of boats) boats than we actually had. When boats returned stateside for yardwork, configuration modifications for specific patrol missions and routine maintenance, many (not all) boats repainted in their hull numbers to identify them for parts and stores delivery and allow people working on the boat to find it easily. The photo section has a number of photos taken during WWII showing visable numeric designators. Hope this helps. DEX
TSpoon
Posted 2009-07-23 10:41 AM (#28894 - in reply to #28846)
Great Sage of the Sea

Did anyone notice the teeth and eye painted on the boat to the far left?

Would be nice to know which boats those are.

T.Spoon, DBF
PatH
Posted 2009-07-23 10:49 AM (#28895 - in reply to #28894)

Great Sage of the Sea

That would be the Baya.

Ric
Posted 2009-07-23 11:07 AM (#28896 - in reply to #28894)

Plankowner

...on the far right, too. Puffer (L) and Redfish or maybe it was Redfin (R)
Ric
Posted 2009-07-23 11:09 AM (#28897 - in reply to #28895)

Plankowner

You are right Pat, Baya is on the right. Puffer is on the left.
Ric
Posted 2009-07-23 11:14 AM (#28898 - in reply to #28894)

Plankowner

Subject: Here you go

PUFFER

Baya
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software