Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: USS SKATE and USS SEADRAGON, after affecting a historic rendezvous under the ice, surfaced together at the North Pole through an opening in the ice on August 1962.
great news from Gary Walker
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

TSpoon
Posted 2009-07-22 7:47 PM (#28854)
Great Sage of the Sea

Subject: great news from Gary Walker

Gary called this afternoon with the news that his son has completed BESS and is on his way to the USS Los Angeles out of Pearl.

This is the son who used to do docent duty with us aboard the Pamapnito a few years back.

Gary of course is very PROUD!!

T.Spoon, DBF
Don Gentry
Posted 2009-07-22 10:46 PM (#28862 - in reply to #28854)

Admin

Subject: RE: great news from Gary Walker

BZ Gary... nice to see a "Spoon post" as well!  Gary, where art thou?  Mike Hemming... time to muster in and write something for the good of the order.  Time to get all the players back out on the stage and rekindle the family. And all your lurkers... stop in and introduce yourselves... it won't be any worse than your first day on a boat (honest )
TSpoon
Posted 2009-07-22 11:57 PM (#28863 - in reply to #28854)
Great Sage of the Sea

Don, Gary wanted me to tell you all that his computer suffered major melt down a while back and he is having trouble getting it back it order. He said the Bess info is safe but will be a while longer to get it back on line. Sort of what happened to you recently. He also is suffering some major arthritis issues that make moving his hands and such very painful.

As to my life my Mom is 88 and takes me on a lot of trips to Northern California to care for her. She went non-responsive on the Fourth of July and I got to sit with her in the hospital for two days. One day while trying to get her to stay in bed with all the attachments she said, "Why don't you go back to work!" and I have been retired ten years. She does tell some interesting stories using facts from her past. She tells about riding around in a horse drawn wagon to move their cattle to summer pasture in the Trinity Alps, going to a one room school house that her mother taught, and the old neighbor they called "Old Black Charlie" who had been born into slavery then ventured west after the 'Civil War. About how he was a sad old man who never knew his family. Also about Uncle Ernest who after WWI came home to work the cattle ranches and timber industry of Northern California. On friday night he would go into thsoe little mountain town bars inhabited by the timber workers and miners, say "I can lick any man in the house", then usually do it. My Moms family were some big Irish/German Immigrants. They had a special chair for Uncle Ernest to sit on as he usually broke normal ones. LIke I said some great old stories.

Then a month back my wife suffered 'Transit Total Amnesia' one day at work and forgot the whole day. She is fine but there again was a day in the hospital. The doctors said there is no known cause for it and it causes no physical damage, just that day is gone from her mind and memory. Now while there are a couple of other days I wish she would forget it is scary when it is involuntary.

I did get to visit with 8 Pamanito WWII vets when they held their reunion and BBQ for Memorial Day. Also got to visit with Blue and Kathy aboard the Pamapnito.

Briana graduates from her school this week and will be posted at Creech AFB near Las Vegas where she will interpret images sent down from the Predators flying over Iraq and Afghanistan. Wish I could ask her more but we all know that drill.

I do lurk here just a lack of time to post,

T.Spoon, DBF

Edited by TSpoon 2009-07-23 12:03 AM
Ric
Posted 2009-07-23 12:27 AM (#28864 - in reply to #28862)

Plankowner

Subject: PEP

Talking about regrouping folks. I've been trying to contact PEP. I've phoned any number of times and the phone just rings and now just says the party isn't available and there is no place for a message. I sent a letter but no response. Anyone in Northern California that can make it to McKinleyville to check on him?
steamboat
Posted 2009-07-23 3:32 AM (#28865 - in reply to #28854)
Master and Commander

Also great to "hear your voice", Tim. I would say something political to raise your ire, but once is quite enough, methinks! Your family truely has some tales to tell about your ranch and the early days in the West. Wish I could visit to hear them first hand. I take it that with all your other obligations, that you have not been hog hunting lately?
Green Board, Shipmate,
Steamboat sends
Ralph Luther
Posted 2009-07-23 7:28 AM (#28876 - in reply to #28854)
COMSUBBBS

Congrats to Gary and especially his son. ATTA BOY!!!!!!!!
viejo
Posted 2009-07-23 8:42 AM (#28879 - in reply to #28864)

Senior Crew

Subject: RE: PEP

Ric, I put up a post, about PEP,  on Cyberspace Base as those guys keep in pretty close touch with PEP, but he hasn't posted there in awhile nor on Martini's. So if I hear of anything about him, I'll post it here.

Viejo

viejo
Posted 2009-07-23 8:45 AM (#28880 - in reply to #28863)

Senior Crew

Sorry to hear about Gary's problems. I knew his site was being reconstructed, but didn't realize about the arthritis. That makes it doubly hard to do anything with a computer. I'll have to send him my rattlesnake and tequila recipe for fixing that arthritis. I look forward to seeing the rest of the 60s as he can get them back up. That is when a lot of us went through BESS.

Viejo

TSpoon
Posted 2009-07-23 10:24 PM (#28921 - in reply to #28854)
Great Sage of the Sea

Steamboat my brother, California politics do keep my mind off other things. I am afraid this state may be setting the future for the country.

No hogs in the summer as they don't like the sun and stay hidden. Plus hiking around the hills on 100 degree plus days is not really fun.

I wish I had listened to my Grandparents and Parents more when younger and they talked about the past. We have recorded a lot but there is a lot still missing.

T.Spoon, DBF
Donald L. Johnson
Posted 2009-07-23 10:32 PM (#28922 - in reply to #28854)

Great Sage of the Sea

TSpoon - 2009-07-22 7:47 PM

Gary called this afternoon with the news that his son has completed BESS and is on his way to the USS Los Angeles out of Pearl.

Better qualify quick, or he'll have to finish on another boat.

"Los Angeles will be inactivated Nov. 2, 2009 and Philadelphia follows June 10, 2010."

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software