Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: "Submarines Forever, Forever a Submariner" - Mike Hemming
Does anyone know which navies have women submariners?
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

dex armstrong
Posted 2009-07-24 7:15 AM (#28936)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: Does anyone know which navies have women submariners?

I know that Norway has them and I think several other countries allow females to serve on boats. Just wondered what other nations allow female boatsailors. I think Australia has them. DEX
Blue from West Oz
Posted 2009-07-24 9:01 AM (#28939 - in reply to #28936)

Master and Commander

Subject: RE: Does anyone know which navies have women submariners?

dex armstrong - 2009-07-24 9:15 PM

I know that Norway has them and I think several other countries allow females to serve on boats. Just wondered what other nations allow female boatsailors. I think Australia has them. DEX

Yes Dex, we ( Royal Australian Navy ) have women at sea on our subs.

It's been 10 years since they started too, I am no longer in the loop so I don't know how many we have serving on them anymore.

I trained approximately a dozen of them in the fine art of being a Fore-Endy/Torpendoman....of sorts.

Blue *_*
Pete
Posted 2009-07-24 9:20 AM (#28941 - in reply to #28936)

Senior Crew

I think Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Germany,South Africa,  Canada and Brittan in addition to Australia have females aboard submarines.The Netherlands had them aboard on a temporary basis.
PatH
Posted 2009-07-24 9:21 AM (#28942 - in reply to #28939)

Great Sage of the Sea

It's interesting to me that OZ has women submariners in that OZ sub patrols tend to be longer than those of most other countries with female submariners.  I've also noted that OZ is having a hard time attracting submariners, to the point that boats cannot go to sea for lack of manning.  There are other economic factors, without doubt and I've read the reports about morale problems, but I also wonder if having women as sub crew is affecting the retention or recruiting.  (I'm not interested in getting into a theoretical battle over what is right or fair, just what the effect if any is, or if it has even been considered.) 
viejo
Posted 2009-07-24 11:32 AM (#28946 - in reply to #28936)

Senior Crew

I wonder if China and India also allow women on subs?  Here is an article that makes it seems as those having them on US Subs is a done deal. Sounds like it will happen as new boats come out. Says they already have 340 Female officers and Chiefs picked to go on subs.

Viejo

http://www.subsim.com/new_york_times_sub_article.htm

PatH
Posted 2009-07-24 1:35 PM (#28949 - in reply to #28946)

Great Sage of the Sea

Published: April 1, 2008
That article was a spoof.

Edited by PatH 2009-07-24 1:36 PM
dex armstrong
Posted 2009-07-24 1:51 PM (#28950 - in reply to #28936)

COMSUBBBS

Just think about the positive side of carrying women....After you qualify you could have a prom....You could have formal dances in the sonar shack....co-ed showers....wet tee shirt contests....Hooters messcooks....Tuck-in Petty Officers to tuck you in and read you nightie-nite stories out of the Bluejackets manual....pretty Corpsman and not ugly sonuvabitches like Beeghly and Gardner...(Is that Corpsmen or Corps-sweeties?) Midwatch hula dancers. Foulweather bra lockers. Cooks who make quiche, midrats finger sandwiches and puff pastery... Crew running to battle stations in baby doll nighties....the faint aroma of perfume masking the smell of dirty socks, sour towels and salt caked dungaree armpits....a chior for Sunday Religious Services....the sound of the steady hum of blow dyers. Hairdressers Mates....and tampon machines in the heads....more mirrors....and PLEASE MAKE SURE THE HEAD SEATS ARE LEFT IN THE DOWN POSITION UPON LEAVING THE HEAD and DO NOT TOSS SANITARY PRODUCTS INTO SANITARY TANK, THE DAMN THINGS JAM THE OVERBOARD DISCHARGE VALVE. "For those it is deemed appropriate, TURN TO, TOENAIL PAINTING"...."Attention all hands tonights practical factors lecture will be on Female Health and Hygene." Females will wear robes to and from the showers. Until the heater is repaired off duty personnel are free to select warming personnel to bunk with. Yes, there might be some definite advantages to gender divided boat crews. Like the BLUE AND GOLD concept...you could have PINK and BLUE crews.....DEX
viejo
Posted 2009-07-24 2:15 PM (#28952 - in reply to #28949)

Senior Crew

well and it had some guy in a uniform so I trusted it. Oh well.
Flapper
Posted 2009-07-24 11:58 PM (#28964 - in reply to #28950)

Master and Commander

DEX WROTE: 'Yes, there might be some definite advantages to gender divided boatcrews. Like the BLUE AND GOLD concept...you could have PINK and BLUEcrews.....'

All very amusing you silver-tongued devil ... but! One of the tidbits on this topic that I've gleaned over the years on these august forums on the subject is that one way to see how things would work out, with females serving on boats, would be to form an all-women (or as close to as possible) crew for a Trident boat. The key of course is that the powers-that-be would need to form it from qualified candidates ... which means the gals would have to integrate with mostly-male crews. But again, Trident boats have the space to accommodate a few 'aliens', right?

John396
Posted 2009-07-25 11:19 AM (#28971 - in reply to #28952)
Old Salt

Just think about the positive side of carrying women....After you qualify you could have a prom....

Got to love it!!!! John396
iPOD
Posted 2009-07-26 10:14 PM (#29002 - in reply to #28942)

Master and Commander

No Pat it's not the girls causing the shortage, we've had a shortage of Submariners for well over 20 years, it's more a case of better money and conditions in the private sector especially in the Fly in Fly out mining in the North West of Oz were salaries around $150K are the norm rather than the exception.

The girls are doing a great job and are no longer considered novelties just fellow boatsailors!!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software