Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: The first diesel engines built by Electric Boat for submarines were installed (1913) in the USS NAUTILUS and SEAWOLF, namesakes of the first nuclear powered submarines, also built by Electric Boat.
We got our butts kicked today...NSR
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Doc Gardner
Posted 2009-08-01 5:10 PM (#29263)

Master and Commander

Subject: We got our butts kicked today...NSR

Last year we took first place at the "open piping competition" at the event we were at today. Well we might as well have put a big target on our backs this year. We went up against 11 other bands and the best we could do was 4th. Where were all these bands last year?
What a way to end up the year; oh well there's always next year.
Flapper
Posted 2009-08-02 12:14 AM (#29267 - in reply to #29263)

Master and Commander

Subject: RE: We got our butts kicked today...NSR

You're getting awfully seriousĀ  - step back and do some more planning and 'what ifs'for the upcoming scooter journey.
I mean what the hey - the pipes are just a skin bag and a trio of over-sized flutes ... and surely any ex-corpsman (FMF, in particular) isn't going to take plying the skin flute too seriously!

(((PING!)))
Ralph Luther
Posted 2009-08-02 2:10 AM (#29268 - in reply to #29263)
COMSUBBBS

Doc, it's very tough staying at the top. When you are upthere, many are gunning for you and the only way to go is down. It is good y'all got to the top when you did. I'm sure youse guys will be back.
Sewer Pipe Snipe
Posted 2009-08-02 5:43 AM (#29270 - in reply to #29263)
Master and Commander

When I shot competition Sillouette, PPC and NRA there was a select group that always needed to be near the top. If they arrived at a shoot, and too many folks that shot better than them were already there, they left for another shoot where those folks weren't. That way they had trophies and status. So if you always want to be at the top, select that course. However, if you just enjoy matching your skills against others, face up to the music. The few medals, ribbons and badges I have were earned. Plus the wanna be's don't have no silver tens for Chicken, Hogs, Turkeys and Rams. All in High Power. It ain't competition if you can't lose sport.
Doc Gardner
Posted 2009-08-02 6:49 AM (#29273 - in reply to #29270)

Master and Commander

We go to the same competitions every year and generally know the bands we will be competing against; makes it fun to see the positions change each year and renew old rivalries. Last year we were on top and this year we got our noses tweeked. To borrow and adjust a phrase from NASCAR; that's piping. The new bands that showed up this year were great to listen to and pick up pointers from; we deserved the position we got and while we were disappointed we knew we got "out played". We'll take a week off and then start practicing for next year. New tunes; new dedication; but for me the same old fingers. I wonder if they make new hands for old pipers?
I may take a year off from the competition circuit and focus on taking that ride to the Northwest.

(St. Andrews 2009.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments St. Andrews 2009.jpg (85KB - 446 downloads)
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software