Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: Traditionally, United States submarines have been named after fish and other marine creatures. One exception was the Navy's first submarine HOLLAND which was named after its inventor, John Philip Holland. Today, ballistic missile submarines are named for famous American patriots, with the newest class, the OHIO class, named after states. The LOS ANGELES class of attack submarines are named for United States cities. The nations news class of submarine, the Virginia class, is also named for US States, making them the capital ships of the navy.
Need for new cookbook......
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

dex armstrong
Posted 2009-08-02 1:47 PM (#29281)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: Need for new cookbook......

A lot of people travel and spend a lot of time in big chain motels/hotels. In this day and age motel room amentities often include refrigerators and microwaves. To avoid cafe and restaurant meals and the paying of tips, a lot of folks (none of whom will admit it) do "in room on the road hobo style cooking"...Campbell soup with Ritz crackers and peanut butter and ice cold 2% milk....SPAM sandwiches....melted Swiss cheese on toast....Dinty Moore gourmet surprise. Being a 33rd degree Cheap Sonuvabitch...I indulge in Motel Room "Heat em up" chowdowns...The last time I was on the road, I wondered if anyone else had any other ideas for fast pop microwave paper plate feasts....You know the kind you eat watching cable news in your skivvies. There's a market for such a cookbook. I like to buy three of the McDonald's dollar menu cheeseburgers and add a slice of domestic Swiss cheese and nuke the rascals...Great! Hey, if you have any ON THE ROAD AGAIN favorites...sure could use a couple of good ones....Graham Crackers with melted peanut butter....with CNN, OK but not great...I'm a cold milk junkie. So, I look for stuff that goes well with 2% milk, is not complicated, uses commonly available AMERICAN ingredients...No gourmet hummingbird livers, rare jungle vegetation or fish you only see on Sea World, Marineland of National Geographic....well maybe canned tuna. If you modify fast food, make sure you can pick it up at the drive-thru window....Pot pies and frozen fried clams with Phillip's Seafood Cocktail sauce are good. Hey, If you practice this cheap bastard's art, jump in. DEX
miss lumpy bumps
Posted 2009-08-02 5:34 PM (#29290 - in reply to #29281)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: RE: Need for new cookbook......

Dex, you can actually make some very tasty meals.  Garry and I have bought Roast Beef, gravy mix and a  nice loaf of bread and done hot sandwiches and a salad...or any luncheon meat will do...like turkey.   You can do bacon and eggs in a microwave...scrambled eggs, that is.  I have made even made chicken soup using the Perdue
cut up cooked chicken, chicken broth,  some noodles, frozen carrots and onions and dry parsley.  It didn't come out half bad.  Just a few to mention.
Stoops
Posted 2009-08-02 5:57 PM (#29292 - in reply to #29290)
Master and Commander

Hell, I got a preview of Blue's new cookbook coming out in mere months. I have no idea how popular it might be, but he has some delicious sounding recipes which include old tires, recycled oil, roadkill, live cockroaches, and all of the equipment Dex refers to in getting PCs to start working again. Of course, you will have to get a highly scientific calculator to re adjust Blue's proportions...where as he uses units like tons instead of pounds.....and "cook the hell out of it" instead of "bake at 450° for an hour"

Plus, Blue neglects to list all of the environmental permits you will have to apply for nor does he provide any sort of antidotes for those of us that have not grown familiar with the palates of the bush.

Nah.....I think I will pass on this book'
GaryKC
Posted 2009-08-02 6:00 PM (#29293 - in reply to #29281)

COMSUBBBS

DEX, you could use this LIFE magazine photo taken in 1944 for the cover.

(spamlife1944.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments spamlife1944.jpg (60KB - 448 downloads)
Ralph Luther
Posted 2009-08-02 6:16 PM (#29294 - in reply to #29293)
COMSUBBBS

Hold on there, Gary. You'll have to explain to Blue and Dex what those things are laying next to the plate. Blue eats so fast and furious that he doesn't use them and Dex may not remember them since it's been so long that he's sat at a real dinner table. I think they use small shovels at the Waffle House these days and out there in the hobo jungle they use sticks and folded up tin can lids.
Donald L. Johnson
Posted 2009-08-02 9:56 PM (#29298 - in reply to #29281)

Great Sage of the Sea

dex armstrong - 2009-08-02 1:47 PM

I like to buy three of the McDonald's dollar menu cheeseburgers and add a slice of domestic Swiss cheese and nuke the rascals...Great! ................ Hey, If you practice this cheap bastard's art, jump in. DEX

Hey, I resemble that remark!

When I was teaching EM & IC Schools in San Diego in the mid-1980s, I lived near the Sports Arena, and was within walking distance of McDonald's, Arby's, Wendy's Jack-in-the-Box, Taco Bell... you get the idea.

My favorite was Arby's regular Roast Beef Sandwiches. Every Tuesday the "Penny-Saver" had coupons for Arby's sandwiches - Regular Roast Beef, 5/$1.00, Arby-Q, 4/$1.00. I used to pick up all the ones my neighbors threw on the mailroom/lobby floor, and share with the other instructors & students.

A few packets of deli lunch meats and cheeses from the Commissary, add a couple slices of each to the Roast Beef sandwich, 30 seconds in the microwave to soften the cheese, add a slice of tomato and pickle and a soda or carton of milk - you have a meal fit for a King, at 1/3 the cost of a similar sandwich from the "Roach Coach" or the Snack Bar. Now Arby's good deal is 4/$5.00, but the recipe still works.

A more recent option that I have been using when I work for the USDA is Hormel's new "ComplEATS" - small meals you can take from the store shelf straight to the microwave. 90 seconds on high, let stand for 1 minute, stir (if needed) and eat. I'm partial to the Meatloaf, the Turkey & Vegetables, and the Dinty Moore Beef Stew.

And several pasta companies have come out with side dishes and entrees that you just tear the corner off the pouch or add a little water, microwave, then pour onto a plate.

You don't need a cookbook anymore, just check the soup & pasta aisles at the grocery store.

Edited by Donald L. Johnson 2009-08-02 10:02 PM
Palm Bay Ken
Posted 2009-08-03 4:56 AM (#29301 - in reply to #29298)

Great Sage of the Sea

Donald L. Johnson - 2009-08-03 12:56 AM
A more recent option that I have been using when I work for the USDA is Hormel's new "ComplEATS" - small meals you can take from the store shelf straight to the microwave. 90 seconds on high, let stand for 1 minute, stir (if needed) and eat. I'm partial to the Meatloaf, the Turkey & Vegetables, and the Dinty Moore Beef Stew.

The new Hormel MRE's are really good. We stock our Hurricane Kit with them in the summer, and use them for fine dining in the winter
Tom McNulty
Posted 2009-08-03 6:47 AM (#29306 - in reply to #29281)

Master and Commander

I'm still an over the road sales type although not nearly the years I spent an average of 35 week out of the year on the road. I just started my 35th year as an outside sales person, but a regional manager now covering from eastern Canada down to all the Caribbean. I dont' expect any sympathy. To the point, if it wasn't for take out Chinese and Pizza I would have starved to death a long time ago. I just don't like eating in restaurants by myself. The changes in supermarkey cuisine are remarkable. many have take out dinners that you can buy by weight. You can get a whole darn roasted chicken in places for less than $6. You can easily milk one of those for 2 days if the room has a fridge. If there's a microwave in the room the culinary world is your oyster. Lots of prepacked frozen meals to be had. I've also gone to Manhattan delis and bought some pastrami,. corned beef, cheeses. a small mustard, and some really good rolls or bagels and made sandwiches in the room. In the old days in VA Beach we used to descend on Piggly Wiggly and load up so that we could invade some poor married sailors house to watch Batman. Bring plenty of food and you'd be pretty sure you'd be let in provided you cleaned up after the last invasion.
dex armstrong
Posted 2009-08-03 7:41 AM (#29309 - in reply to #29281)

COMSUBBBS

Thanks to all...I really appreciate some of the great ideas here. I love SPAM...My old man was an infantryman who led an ABN battalion across Europe from airborne drop to airborne drop. Oddly enough, his post war memories ran mainly to the spectacles (sp?) of joy and gratitrude displayed by liberated populations...especially children. The lads under his command had grown to maturity in the Great Depression and many had known first hand what being a hungry child felt like. The youngsters in towns they freed from the yoke of Nazi sonuvabitches, had never seen anything wearing a uniform and hauling weapons, that had not brought anything with them but pain. And all of a sudden, these dirty smiling and laughing American soldiers came slogging through town passing out their rations to hungry families...they went without, so children could taste meat for the first time in their short lives they tasted meat. His memories of how thankful Dutch and Belguim folks were to receive SPAM made him consider SPAM to be a wonderful invention he think brought us more European gratitude than any other single concept in post-War European relations. My sister and I came to love it.....and he collected SPAM can keys. For what reason? Damned if I know. Back then SPAM cans came with a key fastened to the bottom...You used the key to wind off a sort of steel ribbon that opened the bloody can...Once the can was opened you had your can key with ten miles of tin ribbon wrapped (coiled) around it....unrolling the tin ribbon to remove it from the key was an art...doing it wrong could have you picking up previously attached fingers from the floor. In 44 and 45, SPAM fed much of liberated Europe and is still popular there to this day. This damn thing started out as an expression of gratitude for all the great ideas and suggestions. Thanks for taking the time. DEX
Doc Gardner
Posted 2009-08-03 9:41 AM (#29316 - in reply to #29301)

Master and Commander

Subject: Mountain House meals look easy and tasty

Palm Bay Ken - 2009-08-03 7:56 AM

Donald L. Johnson - 2009-08-03 12:56 AM

The new Hormel MRE's are really good. We stock our Hurricane Kit with them in the summer, and use them for fine dining in the winter

These meals from Mountain House look interesting and I'm thinking of getting some for the ride out to see Don
http://www.mountainhouse.com/
JrKrup, Skimmer
Posted 2009-08-03 12:42 PM (#29319 - in reply to #29309)

Master and Commander

dex armstrong - 2009-08-03 2:41 PM

Thanks to all...I really appreciate some of the great ideas here. I love SPAM...My old man was an infantryman who led an ABN battalion across Europe from airborne drop to airborne drop.

His memories of how thankful Dutch and Belguim folks were to receive SPAM made him consider SPAM to be a wonderful invention he think brought us more European gratitude than any other single concept in post-War European relations.

In 44 and 45, SPAM fed much of liberated Europe and is still popular there to this day. This damn thing started out as an expression of gratitude for all the great ideas and suggestions. Thanks for taking the time. DEX

AMEN to that, Dex. On my second trip to Russia, I took cans of SPAM and small jars of Skippy Peanut Butter to give to my friends. One elderly woman in Moscow remembered getting SPAM from shipments coming into Murmansk. Tears came to her eyes as she ate it. I told her (through an interpreter) that this SPAM isn't like the WWII stuff, that this has much less salt. It didn't matter to her.

The jars of Skippy PB went over really well with the younger generations, especially in Alma-Ata, Kazakhstan.

GaryKC
Posted 2009-08-03 3:21 PM (#29333 - in reply to #29281)

COMSUBBBS

Well....I'm sold, let's do it. The market potential in today's economic climate is unfathomable. After serious consideration I believe the books title should be "SPAMDEX"Here's an idea for a television commercial using a farmer and his dog. We'll sell millions... I guarantee!!

(spamdex.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments spamdex.jpg (62KB - 442 downloads)
dex armstrong
Posted 2009-08-04 11:07 AM (#29388 - in reply to #29281)

COMSUBBBS

Man...That photo even turned my stomach....Folks, can you say totally drunken sonuvabitch? Can you say non-rated, non-qualified worthless messcooking lowlife? Can you say, the human element of the first line of defense? followed by "God help us!" Where in the hell did that photo come from? DEX
miss lumpy bumps
Posted 2009-08-04 7:09 PM (#29404 - in reply to #29388)

COMSUBBBS

Gary has a very good "photoshop" program, Dex.  
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software