Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: "I can assure you that they went down fighting and that their brothers who survived them took a grim toll of our savage enemy to avenge their deaths." Admiral Charles Lockwood
Anyone else going to the SIRAGO reunion?
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

dex armstrong
Posted 2009-08-07 5:36 AM (#29486)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: Anyone else going to the SIRAGO reunion?

I know Joe and Elsie will be there....Frank George and Mike Bikel....but don't know of any others. I'm bringing Peaches....(My main squeeze) and she's apprehensive about not being a part of the submarine community and wonders about fitting in. I told her that being a part of the submarine family requires about a thirty second adoption process,or in a quote stolen from the movie BATTLECRY...."Beer brothers are tighter than bloodbrothers" MADDOG, it's gonna be in Virginia Beach, maybe we can get together and leave some overlapping beer glass rings on a table down there. DEX
Corabelle
Posted 2009-08-07 6:58 PM (#29503 - in reply to #29486)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: RE: Anyone else going to the SIRAGO reunion?

You're going to squeeze Peaches? That could be a little messy.

Cora
MAD DOG
Posted 2009-08-07 7:09 PM (#29504 - in reply to #29486)

Master and Commander

...."Beer brothers are tighter than bloodbrothers" MADDOG, it's gonna be in Virginia Beach, maybe we can get together and leave some overlapping beer glass rings on a table down there. DEX

When &where?
You're on!
dex armstrong
Posted 2009-08-08 6:10 AM (#29518 - in reply to #29486)

COMSUBBBS

Senor DOG, October 1st through the 4th......Where? Damnded if I know....How bout the grand salon at Peggy's Whorehouse and Auto Body Repair Shop? Or bust a six pack in that asphalt parking lot where Bell's used to be....Seriously you let me know, every place I used to know kissed the wrecking ball long ago. DEX
MAD DOG
Posted 2009-08-08 8:27 AM (#29525 - in reply to #29518)

Master and Commander

Dex,give me a call when you hit town.
757-353-1146.
El Senor Perro Loco.
Palm Bay Ken
Posted 2009-08-08 9:56 AM (#29529 - in reply to #29525)

Great Sage of the Sea

Is this just a SIRAGO reunion, or is it one of the SubRonSix Sisters reunions? I never served in SIRAGO, but did cross it a few times in the nest going to GRAMPUS. (Also stayed at a Holiday Inn Express many times.)
Runner485
Posted 2009-08-09 6:19 AM (#29545 - in reply to #29529)

COMSUBBBS

Ken, this is a Sirago reunion.
We are gonna host a Squadron Sisters reunion, probably in Virginia Beach in 2011. Plans are still in the early stages. Our super coordinator, Mike Bickel reports lots of interest from the other boats. With most of them willingly wanting to be the particular boat POC.

We also have helped other boats locate some of their lost shipmates.
dex armstrong
Posted 2009-08-09 11:29 AM (#29556 - in reply to #29486)

COMSUBBBS

I am bringing some extremely rare and priceless artifacts....A genuine brick given to me by John Wynn taken from a pile of bricks when they demo'ed the old BASIC ENLISTED SUBMARINE SCHOOL...They should have turned it into a national shrine to the men who trained there and went on to put Hirohito's clown navy all ogver the floor of the Pacific. Then there is a relic dear to the hearts of SubRonSix lads...an honest to God chunk of concrete taken from a pile of wrecking ball debris when they tore down Pier 22, formerly SubRonSix Main Street....When they took over the old fertilizer piers between the NOB (Naval Operating Base), and D&S (Destroyer and Submarine) Piers...they renumbered the piers and sent the ORION (Mother Onion) up the river to the bone yard, where it was slowly picked apart by salvage vultures and eventually turned into an ever diminishing pile of junk metal....now Mother Onion has her DNA in toaster ovens...port-a-potty hinges...and skateboard axels. After the renumbering with Pier 22 being given a number totally unrecognizable to returning drunk smokeboat sailors, they tore the sunuvabitch down and built some kind of double deck contraption for nooks. The authenticity of this chunk of Pier 22 can be established by holding it up to your ear...You can actually hear barmaid panties passing knees and ankles and the pushing and shoving in Geedunk truck lines. When I can get this national treasure in Mike Bikel's hands, it will become the SBSSS Kabba Stone....like Moslems, the returning animals from SubRonSix will have to circle it three times and toss five bucks in an upturned raghat to prime the bar with booze in the hospitality room. Next....I have, thanks to the generosity of one Raymond "Olgoat" Stone...an actual heavy glass beer mug with the famous BELL'S BAR AND GRILL printed on it in red....a real genuine "challis from the palace"....a surviving vessel from the alter of BELL'S CATHEDRAL of Twenty five cent draught beer, Slim Jims, Beer Nuts, Pickled Eggs and Pigsfeet on Hampton Boulevard where the "Elite of the Fleet went to Meet and Eat" (And pee down the men's room floor drain on payday nights.)....Drinking from this Holiest of Grails is said to make you young, twenty feet tall and bullet proof. DEX
nancy
Posted 2009-08-10 1:00 PM (#29582 - in reply to #29556)

Old Salt

I'm honored to have been invited by "runner Joe" to the Sirago reunion, Wyndam (sp) Hotel, Va. Beach. Brother had two tours as Sirago officer, and crew was so kind in the aftermath of his death.

My neighbor, Joe Hoffman, Sirago and COD Base, and wife hope to attend. Busy right now with a daughter's wedding. Joe credits me with meeting his wife after I wrote a newspaper story about my day on board Sirago out of Norfolk. Geez, that was back in very early 60s; Anderson was CO. Must look for the clipping, enlarge, bring to Va. Beach. 

Hope to meet some of you there! It will be pleasure to "thank" the Army doc.

Edited by nancy 2009-08-10 5:33 PM
Tom Conlon
Posted 2009-08-10 3:41 PM (#29585 - in reply to #29486)
Old Salt

I understand that my friend LTCOL(SS) USAR Frank Berlingeri will be there. Yes, you read that right - LTCOL(SS) US Army. Frank was an Auxiliaryman on SIRAGO. After he left the Navy he went to Doctor School and became an Internist. He is an early member of USSVI NJ North Base. He's been my doctor since the early 80's.

Several years back he "heard the call" and became an Army Doc.

Frank recently returned from deployment in Afghanistan. When you see him, shake his hand, give him a beer and welcome him home.
Boy Throttleman
Posted 2009-08-11 5:39 AM (#29604 - in reply to #29486)

Old Salt

I have in my possesion a gen U ine cue ball from Bells pool table. One night Thelma in a argument over something about the game rubbed it on her "cat" and said "Play with it now".
No one wanted to touch it and it got rolled under the table.
The next morning when I stopped in for a Subron 6 breakfast of Beer and Slim Jims, the ball was still there.
My car was Red with white trim and thinking about it decided that it would be a great gear shift knob.
I picked up and in uniform how was I to abscond with it? Everyone that knows me knows that it would be too obvious in the crotch of my shorts.
The great Shaft the only one that could pull that off, was not with me.
You know you can walk out of a bar with a cue ball in your Wellingtons.
Drilled and tapped on the boat the next duty day, the cue ball gear shift knob served well on that car and others until car makers no longer used that kind of attactchment.

One day it will be mounted on a suitable plaque and carried to reunions.
Ralph Luther
Posted 2009-08-11 11:05 AM (#29625 - in reply to #29604)
COMSUBBBS

Mike, are Dex and Olgoat aware that you have posession of this cue ball and knowing where it has been? Lord,lord I can see them fighting biting and scratching each other trying to get the upper hand.
Runner485
Posted 2009-08-11 12:04 PM (#29628 - in reply to #29625)

COMSUBBBS

If you knew Thelma you wouldn't be in line fighting for that cue ball.....
dex armstrong
Posted 2009-08-11 12:18 PM (#29629 - in reply to #29486)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: I have no idea what happened to Bell's....

If life was fair,Bells Bar and Grill would have been painstakenly disassembled and reassembled in the Smithsonian....It was the clubhouse of Submarine Squadron Six...It belonged to us. It was a class act...How many boatsailor hangouts have you patronized where the jukebox was encased in expanded metal to keep it from being damaged by flying objects to include tossded naval personnel? How many places had a conveniently located mens room floor drain to accommodate payday patron overflow who couledn't find a place to pee at a urinal...head stall...sink...wastebasket...or open window? Where else could you get a totally balanced meal of hardboiled eggs, Slim Jims, Beer Nuts and a pictcher of lukewarm donkey pee draught? Where else could you patronize a submarine sailor exclusive, and be served by delicate, fragile debutant roller derby queens, with the vocabularies of sewer diggers and whorehouse parrots. Ah Yes, BELL'S....and Thelma...Dear Sweet Thelma...the lovely damsel who would shout like she was raised by wolves..."I'll jerk the reproduction gear off the next bastard who tosses a g--dam quarter ihn that damn juke box and punches up "Don't take yer Guns to Town (Johnny Cash)","La Bamba" or those f--king "Singing Nuns"...AH Thelma was a sweetheart....If you were a non-rated non-qualified, live aboard orphan...there was nothing any more loving than coming in off a run, hauling your worthless butt up to Bell's, grabbing a seat in an end booth and having the Goddess of Brewed Products and Lumpy Pool Tables....lean over and rest her enormous picnic ham size breasts on each of your shoulders, smelling of AVON's "Catch me,Rape me" perfume and whisper..."Hey Sailor what're we drinking tonight?" WOOOOooooo-o-o-o- We....the stuff of a young man's dreams. A pool ball from Bell's? That sonuvabitch has to be some kind of religious relic...It actually touched an intimate part of Mother Thelma? That thing has to have the same magic as a pair of Joan of Arc's undies. At the SIRAGO REUNION Mike is going to charge Five Bucks to touch it. DEX
dex armstrong
Posted 2009-08-11 12:25 PM (#29630 - in reply to #29486)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: You guys are going to keep it up and....

You guys are going to keep it up and Cora's going to set me on fire....Just show up at my front door and knock and when I open it, she's going to douse me with high octane fuel and toss a match on me. You should never have goat roped me into talking about Thelma and BELL's...DEX
Ralph Luther
Posted 2009-08-11 5:32 PM (#29642 - in reply to #29628)
COMSUBBBS

HA, Joe, I thought you knew Dex and Olgoat.
Ralph Luther
Posted 2009-08-11 5:45 PM (#29643 - in reply to #29630)
COMSUBBBS

Subject: RE: You guys are going to keep it up and....

Dex, I'm certain that Cora has been around long enough to know that a submarine sailors first true love is a memory that won't ever die. For you it was Thelma, for Olgoat..who knows. Here in Charleston, Submarine Squadron 4 it was "One arm Peggy" the Queen of Reynolds Ave and her thrown was in the bar better known as the Port Hole. True, she managed to frequent other establishments and quite often was seen at various snake ranches out at Folly Beach.
Now being the ever up straight and squared away submarine blue jacket that I am/was, I tell you this as second hand information that was told to me by Ole Gezzer at the establishment named after himself on Folly River.
All of that might not sanctify you in the eyes of Cora. She'll probably still use some #2 fuel to lite your arse off at first chance. Good Luck, Shipmate.
dex armstrong
Posted 2009-08-12 9:42 AM (#29658 - in reply to #29486)

COMSUBBBS

I am going to "open the bag and release the cat" RAY "OLGOAT" STONE actually took Thelma to a Submarine Birthday Ball....Yes, your Honor, with my hand on the Bible, I swear that The Goatman actually was seen out in public at a high visability function with Miss Thelma, the Toast of Hampton Blvd. In 1995 we tried to locate Thelma...She disappeared off the face of Mother Earth....I figure that she's rocking on the porch of some nursing home, wearing support stockings and a bra made out of trampoline mat material with an underwire made of Golden Gate Bridge support cable...yelling, "If any lowlife sonuvabitch plays DON"T TAKE YOUR GUNS TO TOWN...I'll kick him so hard his testicles will become roomates with his adnoids." AH she was a lovely dear. DEX
Ralph Luther
Posted 2009-08-12 11:07 AM (#29663 - in reply to #29658)
COMSUBBBS

Aaaha, I knew Olgoat needed some watchin. That old pharte will shuck your corn in a heartbeat. I bet Thelma was the Belle of the Ball and Olgoat Ray Stone was the main topic of conversation the entire evening.
Why Dex, I bet if Thelma was in the "Receiving Line" at the Ball, she'd know quite a few of the troops by their first names. I can just picture in my mind Ray and Thelma gliding across the floor dancing to some country tune like Johnny Horton's "Battle of New Orleans" or some such diddy.
miss lumpy bumps
Posted 2009-08-12 1:17 PM (#29667 - in reply to #29663)

COMSUBBBS

Ralph, you mean that fact didn't hit you when we were "all" there...if you had been at Katie's...you would have seen him "in action", but then again...I think he did himself proud on St. Paddy's Day...right, Blue??  (smile)
Boy Throttleman
Posted 2009-08-12 7:39 PM (#29674 - in reply to #29486)

Old Salt

Subject: Thelma's Cue Ball

5.00 to touch it
10.00 to sniff it
20.00 to lick it
40.00 for all 3 (you get 1/2 your money back if your tongue falls off)

Dex gets a 15 % Discount.
Olgoat gets to pay 25% extra.

All proceeds to go to the Florence Crittenden Home for Unwed Mothers.
TSpoon
Posted 2009-08-13 12:06 AM (#29675 - in reply to #29486)
Great Sage of the Sea

I'll donate twentyfive cents towards buying Dex a lick....

T.spoon, DBF
dex armstrong
Posted 2009-08-13 8:38 AM (#29679 - in reply to #29486)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: Can you imagine............???

Can you imagine the type of medical insurance you would have to have toactually touch that que-ball? The number of innoculations required? It would be like wearing skivvies you fished out of a leper colony dumpster? Lick the damn thing? You kidding? It would be like "frenching" Rosanne Barr.....Whew, the guy who thought that idea up needs to be confined in some home for the incurably insane. Does the CDC khnow about that que-ball? I think I'll buy myself and Peaches, moon suits to attend the SIRAGO Reunion. DEX
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software