Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: There are more airplanes at the bottom of the ocean than there are submarines in the sky; therefore I chose submarines over aviation.
A Signature Story
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

GaryKC
Posted 2009-08-11 12:26 PM (#29631)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: A Signature Story

Forty three years ago a TM2(SS) asked his shipmates to sign the back of a photo. He was being transfered to another boat and wanted to remember them. Last week an ex-EN3(SS) posted a scan of those signatures on line. I borrowed a copy and spent a little time over the weekend attempting to decipher which sailors signed it. On my own I was able to figure out quite a few, but, I needed help! I emailed sailors aboard USS Tusk in 1966, attached a copy and waited. I was amazed to learn that none of the unreadable Sig's were made by future doctors and almost all of them had real first and last names..."Ski" "Birdcage" and "Stinky" were nicknames, go figure. I've added 9 new names to the crew list, updated it to include middle initials and years aboard as well as "nicknames". Current and future boat sailors take note, grab some signatures when you can...you'll be glad you did. The on line photos are here http://www.kodakgallery.com/ShareLanding.action?c=13fmghzn.clijwip7&x=0&y=-ak2yba&localeid=en_US

Edited by GaryKC 2009-08-11 12:50 PM

(sigscrew1966a.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments sigscrew1966a.jpg (68KB - 447 downloads)
dex armstrong
Posted 2009-08-11 3:17 PM (#29637 - in reply to #29631)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: RE: A Signature Story

Couldn't have been guys I rode with...none of us could write. We just drew an "X" on our enlistment papers and had it witnessed by Captain Ahab....When you qualfied, they carved your name in a line locker lid. DEX
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software