Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: "When you shoot at a destroyer and miss, it's like hit'in a wildcat in the ass with a banjoā€¯ -- Chief Officer Steward Dogan on the USS Gurnard during WWII
a comment by Dex earlier...
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Blue from West Oz
Posted 2009-08-13 5:45 PM (#29695)

Master and Commander

Subject: a comment by Dex earlier...

""I'll jerk the reproduction gear off the next bastard who tosses a g--dam quarter ihn that damn juke box and punches up "Don't take yer Guns to Town (Johnny Cash)","La Bamba" or those f--king "Singing Nuns"...AH Thelma was a sweetheart.."

Reminds me of a time when I was a 'Non Qual Puke' and had only just started my Part 1 Submarine Training at HMS DOLPHIN in Portsmouth, England in 1980

I sneaked into the Junior Sailors Bar with a couple of mates....we were only 17 after all. At some point I decided I would play a song from the juke box....looking at the selection I saw a song, The Last Farewell so I played it.

This song got a reaction from the Pom's in the bar at the time....so what does Blue do? He goes and puts about 6 coins in to play the song 6 times.

A brief time passes before some very irate Pommy Submariner goes over to the juke box yelling and screaming obscenities about 'Skimmers bastards' and the like....he also wanted to 'kill the 'skimmer loving bastard' who keeps putting this song on, who is it?"....I being 17 and about 5lbs wringing wet thought it was best I kept my mouth shut at this time. ( yeah, I know...amazing! )....this guy basically wrecked the juke box in his anger and I don't recall it playing for quite a while.

The song was sung by the crew of the HMS ARK ROYAL who had sung this for the Decommissioning Deployment which was a TV series, 'Sailor' ( Rod Stewart's song 'Sailing' once again became a No 1 in England due to this series, a rare feat for a song to be a No 1 twice after a few years. That series was one of many influences in my teens to join the Navy.

Years later, 2004, when I was doing a boat cruise with AtoZ and I was sailing past the Statue of Liberty, I recalled the film clip by Rod Stewart, so in my head, I was singing it. memories of all those years ago. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zW2-_01i48w&feature=PlayList&p=027AEA2B9A20381D&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=1

Blue *_*

Coyote
Posted 2009-08-14 8:12 PM (#29720 - in reply to #29695)

Master and Commander

Subject: undesirables..

USS Sarda (SS488) straggled into Halifax's HMCS Stadacona (sp?) one Saturday in 1959. We were obviously lost, since the old scow was brittle, and we were under orders not to pass New London Ledge light.

We found our way through the Cape Cod canal (try *that* you nukes) and provided target services to P2V's out of Weymouth in the bay.

Sarda, plus Diablo, plus Crevalle, plus a few others I can't remember, enjoyed the two-for-twentyfive cent drafts in Halifax ...

... ... It was a long night... or a short morning....

We got underway at the insistance of the local authorities. Clearing the harbor (an adventure in itself), we stood out and beat the others back to New London on four main engines plus the dinky.

A few years ago, my wife and I returned. Halifax/Dartmouth is a wonderful place to be (in the summer).

Edited by Coyote 2009-08-14 8:27 PM
Tom McNulty
Posted 2009-08-15 11:18 AM (#29730 - in reply to #29720)

Master and Commander

Subject: RE: undesirables..

So which of the two weeks of summer did you go on?
Coyote
Posted 2009-08-15 8:20 PM (#29735 - in reply to #29695)

Master and Commander

Subject: RE: a comment by Dex earlier...

I think it was the first one... sometime in early August.

DBF
Coyote
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software