Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: Traditionally, United States submarines have been named after fish and other marine creatures. One exception was the Navy's first submarine HOLLAND which was named after its inventor, John Philip Holland. Today, ballistic missile submarines are named for famous American patriots, with the newest class, the OHIO class, named after states. The LOS ANGELES class of attack submarines are named for United States cities. The nations news class of submarine, the Virginia class, is also named for US States, making them the capital ships of the navy.
Sugar Shortage
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

RCK
Posted 2009-08-16 9:43 AM (#29739)
Master and Commander

Subject: Sugar Shortage

Looks like there could be a sugar shortage on the horizon and prices could be going up. That means beer too!!!
steamboat
Posted 2009-08-16 10:00 AM (#29740 - in reply to #29739)
Master and Commander

Subject: RE: Sugar Shortage

All the more reason to open up trade with Cuba! Sugar and Cigars.... what else could you need!
Steamboat sends
Doc Gardner
Posted 2009-08-16 11:58 AM (#29742 - in reply to #29739)

Master and Commander

RCK - 2009-08-16 12:43 PM

Looks like there could be a sugar shortage on the horizon and prices could be going up. That means beer too!!!

I don't know of any brewery that adds sugar to its beer. The fermentable sugar comes from the malt and the adjunct grain (usually corn but sometimes rice or even potatoes) reacting during the "mashing process". When the yeast is added the sugar and yeast combine to form the alcohol.
Who says being a tour guide at a brewery while in college would never pay off.
Took me almost 40 years to be able to share that knowledge outside of my tour groups.
viejo
Posted 2009-08-16 12:00 PM (#29743 - in reply to #29740)

Senior Crew

probably just in my head, but had a friend who had come back from Iraq and supposedly, they could get cuban cigars, but couldn't bring them back, so they just took stickers from other cigars and put  them on the Cuban ones they brought back with them. He gave me a couple of his more choice cigars and they were really good. Maybe knowing they came from Cuba made them seem better, but have never understood why we didn't outlaw tampons or something and leave the cigars coming in for those who could appreciate them.

Viejo

Sewer Pipe Snipe
Posted 2009-08-16 12:38 PM (#29746 - in reply to #29739)
Master and Commander

Liquid Adjunt (Corn Syrup) and liguid Dextrose (Sugar) are added to most Pilsners. This isn't Germany where the recipe is dictated by law. I think Ric is lamenting the cost of Moon Shine. It takes one heck of a lot of sugar to run a still. Costs are so high, and quantities so tracable, it's more economical to smuggle Booze than make it. You beat the taxes either way. Last I heard bladders inside tankers were popular.
Ric
Posted 2009-08-16 1:01 PM (#29747 - in reply to #29746)

Plankowner

Last time I hadany moonshine it was drunk out of an old mayonnaise jar with waxed paper under the lid. A guy on th boat had gone home to North Carolina to get married and came back with a car full from his granddaddy who made it. Take the paint right off your teeth... Wooooooooooh, ouch!!!
miss lumpy bumps
Posted 2009-08-16 1:42 PM (#29748 - in reply to #29739)

COMSUBBBS

Do we not get a majority of our cane from Puerto Rico?  I realize with the drought down South, there is probably a great fear of it "drying up". 

Has anyone ever had Portuguese "white lightning"...Garry had it for the first time "many moons" ago, when we first started dating.  My cousin's husband is of Portuguese decent and made it.  I think we called it a "4 alarmer" after he took his first sip.  Such a lovely shade of red adorned his face and the whites of his eyes...and if there could have been steam coming from his ears...(LOL)!!!

Tom Conlon
Posted 2009-08-16 3:33 PM (#29749 - in reply to #29739)
Old Salt

Patti Said:
Has anyone ever had Portuguese "white lightning"...Garry had it for the first time "many moons" ago, when we first started dating. My cousin's husband is of Portuguese decent and made it. I think we called it a "4 alarmer" after he took his first sip. Such a lovely shade of red adorned his face and the whites of his eyes...and if there could have been steam coming from his ears...(LOL)!!!

Tom Sez:
IIRC it's called Aguardiente (which translates roughly to "Hot Water"). We have a large Portuguese community here in northern NJ. They make it frequently every year after they press the grapes for their home made wine (which, by the way, is *very* good).

After they finish pressing the grapes, they distill the skins, stems, etc. to make Aguardiente. The process is similar to when the Italians make Grappa. It goes down *real* smooth and has a kick like a mule.

A few years back we were at a family Confirmation party (Catholic thing). During the party, my wife's cousin's next door neighbor broke out a bottle he had made and we started passing it around. Long story short, that night I was very glad I didn't have to drive and only walk across the street to my house.
GaryKC
Posted 2009-08-16 5:17 PM (#29750 - in reply to #29739)

COMSUBBBS

RCK - 2009-08-16 11:43 AM Looks like there could be a sugar shortage on the horizon and prices could be going up. That means beer too!!!

Yeah, right....and Tiger Woods will lose the lead in the final round of a major.......um, gotta run to the store!

Corabelle
Posted 2009-08-17 11:28 AM (#29763 - in reply to #29743)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: Outaw tampons! OH, NO!!!

That was the message.

Cora
viejo
Posted 2009-08-17 1:38 PM (#29766 - in reply to #29763)

Senior Crew

Subject: RE: Outaw tampons! OH, NO!!!

I was just using that as an illustration of how stupid it was to pick on cigars. But then the government isn't known for it's ability to think much past the level of the TV audience.

Viejo 

TSpoon
Posted 2009-08-17 1:42 PM (#29767 - in reply to #29739)
Great Sage of the Sea

Used to buy real Cuban cigars in Tijuana until NAFTA. The store I frequented said they had to stop due to the fair trade crap.

T.Spoon, DBF
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software