Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: The USS Schley / AA-1 / T-1 (SF-1) (SS-52) originally named for Winfield Scott Schley, Rear Admiral, United States Navy, renamed AA-1 on 23 August 1917 before being Launched on 25 July 1918; Commissioned, USS AA-1, 30 January 1920; Designated (SF-1), 20 July 1920; Renamed USS T-1 (SF-1), 20 September 1920
My Mom...
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

miss lumpy bumps
Posted 2009-08-18 2:35 PM (#29808)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: My Mom...

Hi all...wanted to give you the lowdown on her.  The diagnosis is Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma, but it is at the second lowest level of the disease, because they caught it in time...and the Dr. said it is NOT a death sentence.  So, this is what happened last Friday. We went to the oncologist and he explained everything to us.  Garry, our daughter Katie and myself were with Mother.   He explained everything in PLAIN ENGLISH, no medical double-talk.  Anyway, this is what is going to happen.  Today, she had a PET scan (no smart remarks, please...the Dr. did that the other day) to make sure rest of Lymph system is in working order.  They did a bone marrow biopsy on her on Friday and took 6 viles of blood for ananlysis...gamma globulin and such...and starts her first treatment this Thurs.  She is going to receive a medication called Rituxan.  She will go once a week for 4 weeks, 4 hrs. at a clip and after the 4 weeks, will have a re-evaluation. But the Dr. has given her a good prognosis.  This has been a long 4 weeks and an even longer weekend for all of us.  She came through the PET scan with flying colors, with no after-effects, so far...just has to stay away from small children and pregnant women for a little while.  When she was having the blood drawn on Friday, my daughter, the dutiful nurse, was "hovering" and making Mother a bit nervous and proceeded to tell Katie to "chill out"...and the look on Katie's  face was priceless! 

Anyway, that's the poop, the whole poop and nothing but the poop!

Thank you so much again, for all your good thoughts and prayers for her.  

On a side note, thank "one & all" who sent cards to Garry.  He was very surprised and pleased to receive them.

Roy Ator
Posted 2009-08-18 2:41 PM (#29809 - in reply to #29808)

Great Sage of the Sea

Subject: RE: My Mom...

Thanks for the update Patti. Wishing you and your family well as you proceed through this next phase.
Roy
S.H.O.
Land Lubber
Posted 2009-08-18 3:33 PM (#29812 - in reply to #29808)
Old Salt

Patti, I will continue to pray for your mother and your family. I know this is rough on you, probably more than for your mother. Stay strong.
Take Care, Steve
steamboat
Posted 2009-08-18 3:54 PM (#29814 - in reply to #29808)
Master and Commander

Patti,
It is a good time to be alive with all the medical innovations and techniques available that would have sent us over the edge years ago. The fact alone that they caught your Mom's lymphoma early is a testiment to that, let alone that there are treatments available that will chase the bad stuff out. I don't have to tell Ya'll to hang in there and keep up the morale, cause I know what a positive person you are (and looks like you take after your Mom).
Personally, I just got back from follow-up visit with surgeon and start rehab thursday, so I am A-OK!

Green Board!!
Steamboat sends
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software