Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: Three wives of Presidents of the United States have sponsored submarines. Mrs. Dwight D. Eisenhower christened the USS NAUTILUS, Mrs. John F. Kennedy christened the USS LAFAYETTE and Mrs. Hillary Clinton christened the USS Columbia SSN771 in 1995.
TED KENNEDY...DEAD AT 77
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

dex armstrong
Posted 2009-08-26 4:15 AM (#30011)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: TED KENNEDY...DEAD AT 77

Forget politics and remember the man....The last of the three brothers....So much promise, so little time. And the last one, riddled with human failings, the cause of a poor young lady's death as young man that effectively eliminated any chance of running for thr presidency. Yet, he built a career of public service as a back bencher and influenced legislation by building coalitions, jaw boning, arm twisting and adding ideas to the mix when needed. I don't have any way of knowing, but I feel his career was an attempt to attone for his sins and shortcommings of youth...or rather early manhood. Again. set aside his politics and see him as the mature influence (late in life) in the lives of his two brother's downline generations. I would hate like hell to be called to account for my early sins and transgressions. I didn't agree with a lot of his political philosophy, but I ALWAYS viewed him as a good, well intentioned man, who carried the baggage of flawed judgement, tragic memories and the the burden of guilt. He would have made the perfect tragic figure in a Greek play. I will miss him...All of the familier things ihn my life seem to be dying off or simply drifting away. I miss the rascal already. Maybe his passing will finally get the death of Michael Jackson back to at least page ten in the newspaper. Yes, I will miss him...We all will. I will miss his crumpled suits after an "ALL NIGHTER" legislative session...his damn unruly hair...his Ipana smile...his "pin the tail on the donkey" statements about the opposition and the way, this man of enormous wealth stood up for the poor, disenfranchised, the lame, empoverished and the little guy. I think his heart was in the right place and he had the right intentions. After his two brothers were shot, If I had been in his shoes, I wouldn't have sought a career in public service because every pistolero who wanted to make a name for hinself would be out to get the LAST Kennedy. Rest in Peace, Senator. DEX (Please, this was done out of respect for his career service, not to trigger some kind of rant. Please accept it as such and honor the intent...thanks.)
Jim M.
Posted 2009-08-26 5:45 AM (#30013 - in reply to #30011)

Great Sage of the Sea

Subject: RE: TED KENNEDY...DEAD AT 77

dex armstrong - 2009-08-26 4:15 AM

Forget politics and remember the man....The last of the three brothers........

I too am saddened that he has died.. another good person lost to a bastard disease.. though I do have one correction. Senator Kennedy was the last of four brothers. The eldest, Joe Kennedy Jr., died in August of 1944, whilst on an Aphrodite mission (using remotely piloted war-weary bombers as flying bombs) against V-1 sites in northern France. The drone bomber Kennedy was on blew up over England.. I think the largest piece of the plane they found was part of one engine..

Who knows how things would have turned out had Joe Kennedy Junior survived. There is an excellent book out about him called The Lost Prince.

(joe_kennedy_jr.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments joe_kennedy_jr.jpg (42KB - 415 downloads)
steamboat
Posted 2009-08-26 6:52 AM (#30014 - in reply to #30011)
Master and Commander

Hopefully his passing will rally Congress behind the Health Care reform bill, and get it passed as a tribute to his lifelong concern for the most unfortunate in our counrty.
I am reminded of the words to a folk song containing the words "Another man done gone, another man done gone".
Who in Congress will pick up the torch that he carried for four decades to fight for those who have no voice?
Steamboat sends
dex armstrong
Posted 2009-08-26 8:38 AM (#30021 - in reply to #30011)

COMSUBBBS

Jim, You sir, Are absolutely right. I stand corrected. What a tragic outcome to such such a talented set of brothers. Thanks DEX
fortyrod
Posted 2009-08-26 11:29 AM (#30029 - in reply to #30011)
Great Sage of the Sea

"Yes, I will miss him...We all will."(Dex Armstrong)
No Dex, your wrong. Please don't speak for me. I will not miss him one little bit. You can put lip stick on a pig but it's still a pig.
TSpoon
Posted 2009-08-26 12:02 PM (#30030 - in reply to #30011)
Great Sage of the Sea

"Long live the Memory of Mary Jo", she is who most of us will miss.

T.Spoon, DBF
subvetss
Posted 2009-08-26 1:24 PM (#30032 - in reply to #30011)
Senior Crew

Your gift,Dex, is in your prolific writing. Not in your 'profound' worldly and political wisdom. your post reeks of political innuendos. Do not take us as fools. If you wish to deify that piece of garbage do it on Ron's 'political pig pen'. Don't ruin Gentry's board. I will not respond to any comments you make as a rebuttal.
Joe'the'Most
Land Lubber
Posted 2009-08-26 3:03 PM (#30034 - in reply to #30011)
Old Salt

Well I hope this thread does'nt turn ugly. We all have our opinions of people. I don't agree with any political figure all the time nor do I disagree with them all the time. You have to admit Sen. Kennedy was repetedly re-elected by the citizens of his state. This is rare these days so they must have thought he was doing something right. He did have a checkered past but as the good book says "He who is without sin, cast the first stone". I know I won't be tossing anything.
The best image I've seen of the Senator today was one of him at the wheel of his yacht. He was full of life.
Politics, especially at the higher levels can be an evil occupation. Nothing is clearly black or white just a mass of gray.
Take Care,
Steve
Smiley
Posted 2009-08-26 3:08 PM (#30035 - in reply to #30011)
Great Sage of the Sea

dex armstrong - 2009-08-26 7:15 AM

Forget politics and remember the man....The last of the three brothers....So much promise, so little time. And the last one, riddled with human failings, the cause of a poor young lady's death as young man that effectively eliminated any chance of running for thr presidency. Yet, he built a career of public service as a back bencher and influenced legislation by building coalitions, jaw boning, arm twisting and adding ideas to the mix when needed. I don't have any way of knowing, but I feel his career was an attempt to attone for his sins and shortcommings of youth...or rather early manhood. Again. set aside his politics and see him as the mature influence (late in life) in the lives of his two brother's downline generations. I would hate like hell to be called to account for my early sins and transgressions. I didn't agree with a lot of his political philosophy, but I ALWAYS viewed him as a good, well intentioned man, who carried the baggage of flawed judgement, tragic memories and the the burden of guilt. He would have made the perfect tragic figure in a Greek play. I will miss him...All of the familier things ihn my life seem to be dying off or simply drifting away. I miss the rascal already. Maybe his passing will finally get the death of Michael Jackson back to at least page ten in the newspaper. Yes, I will miss him...We all will. I will miss his crumpled suits after an "ALL NIGHTER" legislative session...his damn unruly hair...his Ipana smile...his "pin the tail on the donkey" statements about the opposition and the way, this man of enormous wealth stood up for the poor, disenfranchised, the lame, empoverished and the little guy. I think his heart was in the right place and he had the right intentions. After his two brothers were shot, If I had been in his shoes, I wouldn't have sought a career in public service because every pistolero who wanted to make a name for hinself would be out to get the LAST Kennedy. Rest in Peace, Senator. DEX (Please, this was done out of respect for his career service, not to trigger some kind of rant. Please accept it as such and honor the intent...thanks.)

LOL When you talk about him it is Politics..Or should I say it was politics..Posting such comments on a Board of Patriots is like fishing in a fishbowl DEX.. Teddy has finally seen the light.. Heaven knows the source of that light eh???? Let me guess.
Here's to the Family of Mary Jo.. They now have a measure of justice! not afforded to them by the elitist judicial system in Mass way back when..... Not political but factual...

Edited by Smiley 2009-08-26 3:10 PM
Donald L. Johnson
Posted 2009-08-26 9:04 PM (#30046 - in reply to #30011)

Great Sage of the Sea

I am not a fan of the late Senator from Massachusetts, but I will not address his politics here.

He, like his brothers, served his country, both in the military and later in the Congress.

Cancer is an awful way to die - I have first-hand knowledge, with my mother and several Shipmates, and I wish such a fate on NO ONE - not even my worst enemy.

God rest you, Senator Kennedy.
Don Gentry
Posted 2009-08-26 10:24 PM (#30049 - in reply to #30011)

Admin

Dex, thank you for a very even, restrained and thoughtful post and Donald Johnson for an equally even post from, perhaps, the opposite direction, restrained to point of excellence.

Beyond these simple acknowledgements, I have chosen to abide by my parents teaching of not to speak ill of the dead (I had no plans to) and to not chastise those who have (the truly hard part).

Like the news already, it would be nice if this thread faded commensurate with it's true value...

dex armstrong
Posted 2009-08-27 7:35 AM (#30057 - in reply to #30011)

COMSUBBBS

Unfortunately, We have reached a point in this country where we can't recognize honesty of intent, commitment and honor. I did not intend to denegrate the memory of Mary Jo, but I too had an incident that I was involved in my youth, that even though did not result in anyones death, was stupid, immature and certainly not worthy of the ideals the man I became as a husband, father and professional. I'm sure if the man had acted as we all wish he would have acted, he would have had a much better subsequent life and I am equally sure he would have been the first to tell you that. I don't think it us proper to speak ill of the dead unless they lived a life of terrible deeds. I didn't agree with most of Sen. Kennedy's positions...that may come as a revalation to many of you, but unlike you I respected the man. I never saw him as evil...maybe that's stupid, but I didn't. I just woke up yesterday and saw another piece of my lifetime memories taken away and I have reached that point on life's road where the personalities I identify with are slowly slipping away. I got hit hard when Walter Cronkite died....To me it was like waking up and finding Michael Jackson's photo had replaced Washington's on the One Dollar bill....or that folks found the National Anthem outdated and replaced it with "Old McDonald had a farm"...I still have heroes...I still respect people I disagree with....try to consider both sides, which is difficult because like everyone else I have views forged over time that force me to bring case hardened positions to the table. We need to recognize that we can have philosophical differences with decent people and those differences don't turn good people into bad people....and that once a person's soul has been recalled by the creator, you put down your ballbat and stop beating on the poor bastard. It doesn't make you more manly, make you a tough guy. In elementary school, once you had given the guy you were trying to beat the hell out of, a bloody nose that ended it...honor demanded that you stop doing damage....so you didn't throw him down a kick the side of his head until his brains started coming out of his ear. I'm sorry I offended you...truly am. But, I did not intend to inject politics into my remembrance. I will miss him....If one of the faces on Mount Rushmore fell off I would miss it....If someone can convince me that the man is some kind of threat to us in death, I will apologize for whatever in the hell you want me to apologize for. I have reached a point in my life where I abhor discord, controversy and smearing cowpies in each others faces. I come here to get booster shots of sunshine...to brush away the lonliness that attends solitary living. I come here to get support and rub shoulders with folks who once did the same thing I did for a living and in service to country. I don't come here to churn up my gastric juices. I would amputate my arm with a jack knife before doing anything to offend our host Don...that's a fact. So, if he feels that I was out of line I would like him to just wipe it off. DEX
Don Gentry
Posted 2009-08-27 9:39 PM (#30096 - in reply to #30057)

Admin

Thanks once again, to all... the flowers spring eternal.....
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software