Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: "When you shoot at a destroyer and miss, it's like hit'in a wildcat in the ass with a banjo” -- Chief Officer Steward Dogan on the USS Gurnard during WWII
Marines leaving the base in their Cammoflage Pajamas
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

dex armstrong
Posted 2009-08-29 7:43 AM (#30149)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: Marines leaving the base in their Cammoflage Pajamas

A while ago someone posted a quotation from current Marine Corps uniform regs that stated that MARINES are forbidden to wear their utilities off their installations. This morning I had breakfast at Roy Rogers with six of them that never got the word and had no idea what I was talking about. They were coming off watch at the Marine Headquarters jus off Columbia Pike....the home of the Commandant of the entire Corps....the Marine Corps corporate head shed. Thier uniforms weren't pressed and they had those roughout desert broghans and those railroad engineer hats with the printed in black, eagle, globe and anchor on them. And, they were doing something you used to never see Marines do, playing little kid grabass and acting like out of control loud children while waiting in the line to order burgers. One was some kind of sgt. In the old days he would have stepped up, taken charge and brought that behavior to all stop. As it was, a retired USMC lieutenant colonel who was eating with his wife, got up...identified himself and told them in no uncertain terms to knock it off...He said, the next time I have to get up and do your non-com's job I'm going to collect your names and serial numbers...I've already written down your issued vehicle number and headquarters designation. Then he looked at me...and said, "It sure as hell isn't the Corps I served in."
dex armstrong
Posted 2009-08-29 7:58 AM (#30150 - in reply to #30149)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: RE: Marines leaving the base in their Cammoflage Pajamas

Tell me, What happened to that green pants, khakki shirt and tie khakki web belt and spit shined shoes rig Marines used to wear with that visored garrison hat?
Smiley
Posted 2009-08-29 8:02 AM (#30151 - in reply to #30149)
Great Sage of the Sea

It sure isn't The Same Old Corps, Navy, Army or Air Force we all served in.. But these men and woman are figthing and dieing and being horribly maimed for their Country in the same manner they always did.. I am so greatful for those grab assin Jar Heads.. I sleep well at night thanks to them and other grab assers like them.
Next time you see them DEX give them my Thanks for your Service Young Man and a hardy Semper Fi
BTW That retired Marine O has the same less than memorable legacy I have.. It was called Vietnam...who is he kiddin. We were no better or worse than this lot or any others who serve this Country during War or Peace

Edited by Smiley 2009-08-29 8:07 AM
Smiley
Posted 2009-08-29 8:08 AM (#30152 - in reply to #30151)
Great Sage of the Sea

Smiley - 2009-08-29 11:02 AM

It sure isn't The Same Old Corps, Navy, Army or Air Force we all served in.. But these men and woman are figthing and dieing and being horribly maimed for their Country in the same manner they always did.. I am so greatful for those grab assin Jar Heads.. I sleep well at night thanks to them and other grab assers like them.
Next time you see them DEX give them my Thanks for your Service Young Man and a hardy Semper Fi!!!
BTW That retired Marine O has the same less than memorable legacy I have.. It was called Vietnam...who is he kiddin. We were no better or worse than this lot or any others who serve this Country during War or Peace
dex armstrong
Posted 2009-08-29 8:44 AM (#30153 - in reply to #30149)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: Thanks for the Lecture Smiley

I agree with you entirely. They are our sons and daughters. WE OWE THEM BETTER LEADERSHIP...WE OWE THEM PROPER UNIFORMS TO BE WORN WITH THE PRIDE THAT THOSE WHO WENT BEFORE THEM WORE THEIRS. There seem to always be Smileys in this world who make excuses for flaws and failures based on what they do for us. Horsefly, That is exactly WHY people like you should wake up and do what I do, write letters to get them better. How's this for current thinking...to cut budget expense our government has cut down on uniform expenditure by allowing our troops to use those cheap BDU's to be worn out in public. No Smiley, you don't make excuses for people who never wore the uniform to shortchange men and women who are willing to die for this nation. Rather than your damn near meaningless thank yous....help get the poor devils out of those disgraceful sloppy looking pajamas and back into uniforms they will be proud to step out of the gate in. No one is prouder of our combat personnel that I am My Father served as a parachute bttn commander in WWII, my daughter served as a military intelligence officer in the 82nd Abn (back when paratroops were issued crackerjack uniforms up to and including mess dress) She retired as a Major with over 400 full combat equipment jumps and as a Master Blaster (Master parachutist) and Senior Jumpmaster/loadmaster. My son-in-law is a Lt. Col. in the Marine Corps and unlike you, agrees with me and would like to see our troops back in uniforms they can be proud of. To be honest, Smiley...Noone in this family needs a lecture on patriotic recognition motivation, and duty to country. We have become a nation of slogan mouthers who don't go against the "go along to get along" mealy mouthed fools who see but do nothing about the ever eroding pride we used to have...pride that brought young men to serve their nation for no enlistment incentive, thirty four dollars every two weeks and a seabag load of the finest wool and canvas uniforms money could buy....Uniforms with saltwater tradition woven into every thread. You think that men and women who are willing to risk life and limb rate the crap we're dressing them in?....Go to Fort Bragg the Home of the American Paratrooper and Special Forces and look at our elite forces wanding around in rout step in those shapeless, baggy grey pajamas. When I was a lad, they looked smart and pressed, even in their white t-s**ts and khakki shorts and jump boots...they fell in with other troopers and double-timeed in step wherever they went...for one reason PRIDE. You NEVER saw a sloppy jumper or Marine....They policed themselves, because they knew instinctively they were the best....and nobody had to thank them for their service because the gallant bastards wore their credentials over their right pocket. And this nation gave them great uniforms. Smiley, there are National Guard units that are no longer issued Class A's...a lad in the Guard told me that we are issuing better uniforms to the Iraqi Security Police than we issued him....Smiley that's how we thank that poor sonuvabitch for his service at risk. Thanks for the "I'm better than you" lecture, I'll share it with my family. DEX
PaulR
Posted 2009-08-29 8:49 AM (#30154 - in reply to #30153)

Master and Commander

Subject: RE: Thanks for the Lecture Smiley

BORING!!!
Ralph Luther
Posted 2009-08-29 8:58 AM (#30155 - in reply to #30151)
COMSUBBBS

It's called "self-discipline". Smiley, I'm certain that your son knows all about this and this is what those Marines that Dex saw were showing a lack of. Yes, these young Marines volunteered and are over there getting shot at, killed, wounded and I'm tankful that there are those that do stand up to the call. However, self-discipline has fallen by the wayside in the military and civilian life.
For the military, maybe just maybe, the numbers of those killed and wounded would be lesser IF there was more self-discipline. Maybe if one took more pride in themselves and the unit they are in they would be more aware of what is going on around them.
There is absolutely no excuse or reason for a military person working in our nations capital to look like he/she just fell out of a s**tcan unless of course they are scrubbing one out. This goes for Army, Navy, Air Force and Coast Guard as well.
I wrote to my Senators and Representative about the military wearing their pajamas to off load our deceased troopers from the aircraft, I have yet to hear back from them by the way. It is a disgrace to receive our fallen troopers appearing like this. These troops gave their lives for this country and the military can't show them better respect than this?
I suppose self-discipline and self respect have fallen by the wayside. I wonder what will be the next thing to fall off this wagon.
dex armstrong
Posted 2009-08-29 9:31 AM (#30158 - in reply to #30149)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: Did you ever see a SEAL, GREEN BERET or SAS trooper acting up in Public

Smiley, Your acceptance of like of discipline and public display of childishness. Demeans, dishonors and is frankly shameful coming from a man who once wore his nations uniform. You don't add honor and respect for your service and unit by making an ass out of yourself in public. Smiley they are no longer high scholl kids...They should save their antics foe pierhead bars, slop chutes, raghat clubs and roughhouse gin mills...like we did. Maybe there's something in, "You dress a man like a bum and he'll act like a bum" Were you a Petty Officer? We you steeped in the I LOVE PUBLIC GRABASSERS WHO DEMEAN THE SERVICE OF MEN WHO WORE THEIR UNIFORM WITH PRIDE AND SACRIFICED FOR IT....Did you go around shaking their hands and saying things with about as much meaning as Good Morning? I'm glad I never served with you. In my day, we would have stepped up and said something to the effect, "You're embarassing yourselves and that uniform you're wearing...knock it off." A Marine office got up and did what needed to be done. I can't imagine a man of his military background and respect for his units history, saying "I would have been honored to shake his grabass'in hand" What's your view on issuing the Honor Guard at Arlington yo-yo's and squirt guns?" Smiley, you would do much better to see that they were issued uniforms that by their very appearance did honor to the history and tradition of the armed service they served. DEX
John396
Posted 2009-08-29 11:28 AM (#30162 - in reply to #30149)
Old Salt

Times change and most people change with the times. But not over opinionated E3s.
Ralph Luther
Posted 2009-08-29 1:30 PM (#30169 - in reply to #30162)
COMSUBBBS

Times change and most people change with the times. But not over opinionated E3s.

Change is good as long as it is for the better.
I can sense a pissing contest around the corner. Later Gators
Blue from West Oz
Posted 2009-08-29 2:59 PM (#30176 - in reply to #30149)

Master and Commander

Subject: When ashore in uniform, one should....

...conduct themselves in the correct manner.

Some would probably have looked that that scane and said, "well isn't that nice, our fighting men can relax" whilst the rest of us would have said, "fools".

The only time I ever 'acted up' when ashore in uniform was on ANZAC Day after partaking in all the ceremomnial requirements and paying of respect to our Fallen in years gone by. Then it was to the RSL Bars and others for numerous drinks. Yes I got drunk in uniform, in public. I honestly believe it is the only day that the average citizen of my country would even find it acceptable to do so.

I see of recent times our guys and gals are wearing these camo uniforms at the shopping centres.....it looks crap.....and they are very hard to see ( 'camo', get it? ha ha ha ha... )

In all honesty, I wouldn't expect to see that kind of horesplay by Servicemen in a public arena. Maybe I just became officialy and 'Old Bastard'?

Blue *_*
Ric
Posted 2009-08-29 3:00 PM (#30178 - in reply to #30176)

Plankowner

Subject: RE: When ashore in uniform, one should....

...well... there's that too....................
Smiley
Posted 2009-08-29 3:56 PM (#30183 - in reply to #30158)
Great Sage of the Sea

Subject: RE: Did you ever see a SEAL, GREEN BERET or SAS trooper acting up in Public

dex armstrong - 2009-08-29 12:31 PM

Smiley, Your acceptance of like of discipline and public display of childishness. Demeans, dishonors and is frankly shameful coming from a man who once wore his nations uniform. You don't add honor and respect for your service and unit by making an ass out of yourself in public. Smiley they are no longer high scholl kids...They should save their antics foe pierhead bars, slop chutes, raghat clubs and roughhouse gin mills...like we did. Maybe there's something in, "You dress a man like a bum and he'll act like a bum" Were you a Petty Officer? We you steeped in the I LOVE PUBLIC GRABASSERS WHO DEMEAN THE SERVICE OF MEN WHO WORE THEIR UNIFORM WITH PRIDE AND SACRIFICED FOR IT....Did you go around shaking their hands and saying things with about as much meaning as Good Morning? I'm glad I never served with you. In my day, we would have stepped up and said something to the effect, "You're embarassing yourselves and that uniform you're wearing...knock it off." A Marine office got up and did what needed to be done. I can't imagine a man of his military background and respect for his units history, saying "I would have been honored to shake his grabass'in hand" What's your view on issuing the Honor Guard at Arlington yo-yo's and squirt guns?" Smiley, you would do much better to see that they were issued uniforms that by their very appearance did honor to the history and tradition of the armed service they served. DEX

I like others here was a kid trying to do the best I could to stay outta trouble and stay on the good side of my division chief and the COB.. Yes I was a major grab ass.. It was my specialty.. Hard work hard play yup... Discipline,, me???? naaaa. But I knew my s**t on the Boat and took it as seriously as breathing shipmate. Like most of my draftee brothers of my time I hated the Military it was not my career choice at 18 for sure...Why wouldn't I??? I was 19 years old and full of piss and vinegar just like most of my shipmates. Nothing has changed. I Did my time filled my commitment and got out as a 2nd class MM. I did a good job got some chest candy and I know that my shipmates missed me as I missed them when I EAOSed. That was me.. You talk of Discipline and Honor like you are an authority on the subject. All that Glory and discipline BS is for those who never saw the Elephant. Discipline in the "fighting military" is measured by duty and performance under fire DEX.. They usually are s**tting their BDUs anyway. Shame on them for soiling their uniforms eh?
I have the Great Honor of knowing several Men who have given their full measure in this War.. I know their Wives, Kids and Moms and Dads.. Every one of them was a Discipline problem by your guidelines. Every one of them felt the discomfort of being in a dress uniform it's a natural feeling for humble people. This is how I measure Honor. and Patriotism.. Not with words DEX or dress Blues but by actions and results.
My Son is a highly decorated veteran of 3 campaigns..I am so proud I can burst.. But I've seen what this War has done to him and his Comrades.I think questioning his or his comrades "Discipline" would not be a wise thing to do.. At least not in person.. I'll wager even you're too wise to try that. I know there are several Thousand Taliban cashin in their chips for Virgins that will vouch for their "Discipline".. So you keep giving lectures to your desk top leaders and dinner patrons while downing your Ham and Grits every morning as well as those parade ground losers DEX. Spit and Polish never killed a bad guy.. Discipline is measured in results in Combat DEX not in how a man dresses or behaves with his brothers in arms.. But I know you could never understand that.. I'll even wager that Marine O was a desk boy all his career...looking at the youth of today that serve by volunteering their.mortal bodies to the cause. Just as Americans have done since it's creation.
I unlike you am man enough to look past a little grab ass play by some Jar Heads in a Mikey Dees to say "Thanks"...
The best part of all this so called "pissing match" crap is they don't give a flying fart what you and guys like you think about their Discipline.. After all it ain't you they will be walking the Hills of Afgan land or the streets of Bagdad with at 02:00 in the morning.. It will be their Undisciplined grab ass comrades.. And I raise a toast to them all. And you too shipmate.. Thanks for your service.

Edited by Smiley 2009-08-29 4:07 PM
Smiley
Posted 2009-08-29 4:03 PM (#30184 - in reply to #30183)
Great Sage of the Sea

Subject: RE: Did you ever see a SEAL, GREEN BERET or SAS trooper acting up in Public

Smiley - 2009-08-29 6:56 PM

dex armstrong - 2009-08-29 12:31 PM

I like others here was a kid trying to do the best I could to stay outta trouble and stay on the good side of my division chief and the COB.. Yes I was a major grab ass.. It was my specialty.. Hard work hard play yup... Discipline,, me???? naaaa. But I knew my s**t on the Boat and took it as seriously as breathing shipmate. Like most of my draftee brothers of my time I hated the Military it was not my career choice at 18 for sure...Why wouldn't I??? I was 19 years old and full of piss and vinegar just like most of my shipmates. Nothing has changed. I Did my time filled my commitment and got out as a 2nd class MM. I did a good job got some chest candy and I know that my shipmates missed me as I missed them when I EAOSed. That was me.. You talk of Discipline and Honor like you are an authority on the subject. All that Glory and discipline BS is for those who never saw the Elephant. Discipline in the "fighting military" is measured by duty and performance under fire DEX.. They usually are s**tting their BDUs anyway. Shame on them for soiling their uniforms eh?
I have the Great Honor of knowing several Men who have given their full measure in this War.. I know their Wives, Kids and Moms and Dads.. Every one of them was a Discipline problem by your guidelines. Every one of them felt the discomfort of being in a dress uniform it's a natural feeling for humble people. This is how I measure Honor. and Patriotism.. Not with words DEX or dress Blues but by actions and results.
My Son is a highly decorated veteran of 3 campaigns..I am so proud I can burst.. But I've seen what this War has done to him and his Comrades.I think questioning his or his comrades "Discipline" would not be a wise thing to do.. At least not in person.. I'll wager even you're too wise to try that. I know there are several Thousand Taliban cashin in their chips for Virgins that will vouch for their "Discipline".. So you keep giving lectures to your desk top leaders and dinner patrons while downing your Ham and Grits every morning as well as those parade ground losers DEX. Spit and Polish never killed a bad guy.. Discipline is measured in results in Combat DEX not in how a man dresses or behaves with his brothers in arms.. But I know you could never understand that.. I'll even wager that Marine O was a desk boy all his career...looking at the youth of today that serve by volunteering their.mortal bodies to the cause. Just as Americans have done since it's creation.
I unlike you am man enough to look past a little grab ass play by some Jar Heads in a Mikey Dees to say "Thanks"...
The best part of all this so called "pissing match" crap is they don't give a flying fart what you and guys like you think about their Discipline.. After all it ain't you they will be walking the Hills of Afgan land or the streets of Bagdad with at 02:00 in the morning.. It will be their Undisciplined grab ass comrades.. And I raise a toast to them all. And you too shipmate.. Thanks for your service.

BTW if you did serve with me you definitely would have been a target of my undisciplined grab assing.. It would have been fun we may have even gone whorin together eh?
Scrivener
Posted 2009-08-29 5:42 PM (#30190 - in reply to #30149)
Senior Crew

"BTW if you did serve with me you definitely would have been a target of my undisciplined grab assing.."

Smiley, I suspect that you would have fit right in with the rest of us in the Pickerel Seaman Gang. We did, however, insist upon impeccably high standards of sartorial excellence. For instance, my old shipmate Gil constantly scolded everyone for wearing unmatching socks.

I would have been honored to have served with you.
Gil
Posted 2009-08-29 5:50 PM (#30192 - in reply to #30149)
Master and Commander

I echo that as long as you could at least borrow matching socks!!!!
SOB490
Posted 2009-08-29 5:54 PM (#30193 - in reply to #30192)

Old Salt

Hey! My socks do match ... the black one and white one I'm wearing match exactly with the black one and white one in my bunk bag!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software