Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: "... The Navy's best are found upon; The pigboats black and trim; For men must be of sturdy stuff; To sink and still to swim ..." part of a poem, author unknown
A little escape... for those rag baggers out there...
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Ric
Posted 2009-08-29 9:06 AM (#30156)

Plankowner

Subject: A little escape... for those rag baggers out there...

...some kick a#@%s sailing..... guy is making time probably in the southern ocean.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4kQSm9MKFs
crystal
Posted 2009-08-29 10:10 AM (#30159 - in reply to #30156)

Master and Commander

Subject: RE: A little escape... for those rag baggers out there...

Another reason that the hulls on catamarans wear out differently!  If you're on a tack with that starboard hull, too long and often, it wears down faster than the port (out of the water)... The cat owners are conscious of this and try to keep it even... Great video, makes me go back to our family days on our ketch, the Sagitta out of San Raphael, CA - even took leave from the Nav to help my dad and mom in some blue water cruises...

Edited by crystal 2009-08-29 10:14 AM

(Sagitta3.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Sagitta3.jpg (58KB - 410 downloads)
John396
Posted 2009-08-29 12:16 PM (#30163 - in reply to #30156)
Old Salt

John, thats interesting my folks and uncle had a 36 ft. ketch in Alameda that I sailed for years. It was an old woody of the Islander class. We raced all over the bay in the cruising class B. The boat came from Hawaii, and when we bought it, On the seat of the toilet said Adm. Halsey sat here . And then theres cat. when we lived in Hawaii (not Navy) I had a P Cat. One Fn. going machine.---- John396
crystal
Posted 2009-08-29 12:38 PM (#30165 - in reply to #30156)

Master and Commander

Our "Sagitta" was a Wycoft designed. 50' loa made in Taiwan - only one of two... Total wood, no tupperware there... Beautiful teak decks, interior etc... My dad did all the topside rigging and electronics and my mom even made the "baggy wrinkles" fro the shrouds.  My folks spent 7 great years on her, transited the canal 11 times, loved the Caribbean and had a wonderful end of life experience aboard her.

Edited by crystal 2009-08-29 12:42 PM

(Sagitta4.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Sagitta4.jpg (84KB - 411 downloads)
610ET
Posted 2009-08-30 12:10 PM (#30218 - in reply to #30156)

Old Salt

How do you display a photo in a post? Photo is on my computer. Thanks.
whalen
Posted 2009-08-30 12:39 PM (#30219 - in reply to #30218)

Great Sage of the Sea

610ET - 2009-08-30 1:10 PM How do you display a photo in a post? Photo is on my computer. Thanks.

1.  Open little flappy type door on front of computer.

2.  Shake vigorously until photo falls out.

3.  Place photo in envelope, send to webmaster.

Stoops
Posted 2009-08-30 4:29 PM (#30225 - in reply to #30156)
Master and Commander

Damn, Whalen, you sardonic bastard....I'd love to meet you, though I may fear it.....any chance we can meet up somewhere?
Flapper
Posted 2009-08-30 4:48 PM (#30227 - in reply to #30218)

Master and Commander

Subject: Uploading photos to this site (the non-snarky version, Whalen)

610ET - 2009-08-30 1:10 PMHow do you display a photo in a post? Photo is on my computer. Thanks.

On the 'other sub bbs', if your photo is <75KB in size you can directly upload to the site; doing so gives it an actual url that can be linked into any other site on the net.

On this site, the photo must have already been uploaded to the internet - typically either your own web page (if you have one), or to any one of many available free  photo hosting sites. 2 that I use are photobucket.com and flickr.com - both seem to be around for the long-term and are quick and easy to use.

Once your photo is uploaded to a hosting site, it will have a unique url, and you're ready to make it part of a post here. In the toolbar above the message entry box, you should have a little picture icon located between the chain icon and the spreadsheet icon. click on it and you'll get a popup form where you can enter the url and hit OK.

Right now the form has a little quirk (at least for me, using Firefox) in that you can click on the url entry box and you don't get a blinking cursor ... if it does that to you, just hit the OK button and you'll get another popup warning you that you must enter a url - kill that 2nd popup and lo & behold, there's the blinking cursor that says I'm ready for you to type or paste your url in this box! Do so and hit the OK button - your photo should now appear in the message, wherever the cursor was in the message entry box prior to invoking the 'Download Photo' function.

It's a kindness to the readability of bbs users viewing your post to make sure your photo is small enough to display without scrolling - no more than 600 - 800 pixcels per side. Needless to say, if your photo original is a huge file (greater than ~ 1,000 pixcels on any side) you'll need to run it through whatever photo editing sofware you have on your PC, to reduce the picture size BEFORE uploadiung it to the fphoto hosting service you've chosen.

I know all of the above seems to be pretty involved, but once you get used to it the process is quick and the added benefit is that once the photo is uploaded to teh net and has a unique url it can be easily shared in forums like this one or via email.

Edited by Flapper 2009-08-30 5:03 PM
610ET
Posted 2009-08-30 5:25 PM (#30229 - in reply to #30156)

Old Salt

Thanks Bob for all that but I don't see a tool bar?
610ET
Posted 2009-08-30 5:38 PM (#30231 - in reply to #30156)

Old Salt

Trying to post a photo of a Pearson 424 Ketch. I owned and lived on one in the Boston area late eighties.

Edited by 610ET 2009-08-30 5:41 PM

(1982-01a.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 1982-01a.jpg (42KB - 388 downloads)
610ET
Posted 2009-08-30 5:45 PM (#30232 - in reply to #30156)

Old Salt

Bob, Looks like Don has made it easier. You can now attach directly from your computer from the reply screen.

Thanks for taking the time to respond.
Flapper
Posted 2009-08-30 6:14 PM (#30233 - in reply to #30231)

Master and Commander

My 1st live-aboard was an islander 28 ... for a couple, you'd better really like each other! That was for 8 years on San Francisco Bay. Tight, but a sweet sailing boat.

When we changed jobs and moved to Santa Cruz on Monterey bay, we sold the Islander and moved up to a Catalina 34. Now that was a nice live-aboard and as roomy as the Taj Mahal compared to the Islander ... with a lot more creature comforts.

Four years later, my better half said, "Bobby, it's been a dream, but I REALLY want a house, where I can have some kitties and get my hands in the earth in my own garden!" What could I say? She'd indulged my fantasy for 12 years ... and besides winters in a harbor hard on the Pacific coast were frequently extremely uncomfortable!

So I sold the boat to our occasional crew, a guy we introduced to sailing and who is now a CG registered skipper, has yacht racing 'rock-star' crew status, and does deliveries and captains charters in the Caribbean.
Roy Ator
Posted 2009-08-30 6:43 PM (#30237 - in reply to #30225)

Great Sage of the Sea

Dave, be very careful what you ask for. Whalen is a certified "Swine of the Highest Order"! Being a charter member, I can vouch for his credentials! ;~)
miss lumpy bumps
Posted 2009-08-30 10:09 PM (#30242 - in reply to #30219)

COMSUBBBS

YEP, THAT'S A MEMBER OF "THE SWINE OF THE HIGHEST ORDER" ALRIGHT!!!  : > ))))
Ric
Posted 2009-08-30 11:50 PM (#30245 - in reply to #30231)

Plankowner

This is a One off Hibbard Motorsailor (33½ feet) that I lived on in the 70' & 80's. Picture was taken shortly I bought her before I repainted. Lived aboard for 9 years.

After I repainted.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software