Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: "I can assure you that they went down fighting and that their brothers who survived them took a grim toll of our savage enemy to avenge their deaths." Admiral Charles Lockwood
Labor Day Is On The Way
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

RCK
Posted 2009-08-29 8:50 PM (#30198)
Master and Commander

Subject: Labor Day Is On The Way

I learned that when someone responds adversly to something you post that the best response is to ignore them......IT REALLY PISSES EM OFF!!

Now I have a resappy for bar-b que ribs and smokey potato salad that if anyone has an interest in I will post. I think I posted it before but don't recall if it was on this board. It came from a blog and is goood!!!. I might even throwin some beans to round out the holiday get together.

Edited by RCK 2009-08-29 8:51 PM
JrKrup, Skimmer
Posted 2009-08-29 9:33 PM (#30199 - in reply to #30198)

Master and Commander

Subject: RE: Labor Day Is On The Way

RCK, re, the ribs. Do you use a rub, a marinade or a sauce?

I start with a brine, then a light rub, and end up with a sauce during the last 15 minutes of cooking. Keep the heat low until the end, then blast them to brown them.

I can no longer have the potato salad - too much mayo, so I have to sub with with a melon salad. Unfortunately the beans I eat have to come from a can.

My best is a barbecued ham on the spit with a honey/maple syrup glaze, over a low fire. The meat falls off the bone, and the sandwiches the next friday are still mouth watering.

Edited by JrKrup, Skimmer 2009-08-29 9:34 PM
Tom McNulty
Posted 2009-08-30 5:44 AM (#30201 - in reply to #30199)

Master and Commander

Jon,
Can you have sour cream instead of mayo? If so, let me know and I can send you a recipe.
RCK
Posted 2009-08-30 8:18 AM (#30205 - in reply to #30198)
Master and Commander

Rub

By all means use your favorite rub or rub recipe, but beware of sugar, which will predispose the ribs towards burning during their slow bake. Note: I made only half this recipe, and it seemed like enough for 2 racks. (But leftovers are great as a seasoning for black or pinto beans!)

1/4 cup regular (not smoked) paprika
1 tablespoon Kosher salt
1 teaspoon celery seeds
2 teaspoons garlic powder (fresh garlic will burn)
1 tablespoon chili powder (I used a mix of chipotle powder and new Mexican chili powder; if you use a blend that has other seasoning in it such as salt, cumin, and oregano, just cut the salt back a bit)

I smashed the celery seeds and salt together with a mortar and pestle until the celery seeds looked pretty powdery; alternately, you could use celery salt and cut back on the Kosher salt a bit. Add the rest of the ingredients and stir together well.

Barbeque Sauce
You can make this while the ribs are baking.

Ingredients:
2 slices bacon
1 large sprig of fresh thyme
1/2 onion, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
2 cups ketchup
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup molasses
2 tablespoons vinegar (I used white wine vinegar)
1/2 tablespoon dry mustard (I used Coleman's)
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon paprika (I used smoked)
Freshly ground black pepper

Fry the bacon in a pot over medium heat until it has given off most of its fat, then add the thyme, onions, and garlic and fry, stirring, until the onions are translucent and golden. Add the rest of the ingredients and bring to a simmer, then turn the heat down and simmer very gently, stirring occasionally, for about 20 minutes. Fish the bacon out before using.

Tom McNulty
Posted 2009-08-30 10:04 AM (#30210 - in reply to #30205)

Master and Commander

You can purchase celery powder rather than grinding your own seeds. My sense of smell tells me there's a subtle difference between celery seed and celery powder. I keep both in the pantry.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software