Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: Nautilus has long been a popular name for a submarine. Some of the more famous of these are Robert Fulton's NAUTILUS (1800), Jules Verne's fictional Nautilus, and the NAUTILUS of Sir Hubert Wilkins in which he attempted a voyage to the North Pole under the ice (1931). There have also been three U.S. submarines of that name, including the world's first nuclear powered submarine built by the Electric Boat Division.
pondering.........
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Ric
Posted 2009-08-30 8:32 AM (#30207)

Plankowner

Subject: pondering.........

Do you think Alexander Graham Bell's phone number was just 1?
RCK
Posted 2009-08-30 9:29 AM (#30209 - in reply to #30207)
Master and Commander

Subject: RE: pondering.........

When Alexander Graham Bell first tried the phone he got a busy signal!!
Tom McNulty
Posted 2009-08-30 10:05 AM (#30211 - in reply to #30207)

Master and Commander

Couldn't have been any number as I don't think the dial phone was the original. It must be raining where you are. Too much time today?
mike652
Posted 2009-08-30 10:42 AM (#30212 - in reply to #30207)
Great Sage of the Sea

Our home phone number when I was a kid was 202-2 (spoken two oh two ring two), it was a party line. The next phone number we had was 51. Had to turn a crank on the box to get the operator (Hattie), then you told her what number you wanted. Then we got dial 464-5100.
Ric
Posted 2009-08-30 11:01 AM (#30213 - in reply to #30212)

Plankowner

You called "central" and asked for the number (or person) you wanted, later we had a dial. Number was "Red 493". Two prefixes , Red and Black. Whole phone book INCLUDING yellow pages was the size of a comic book.
Ric
Posted 2009-08-30 11:23 AM (#30214 - in reply to #30211)

Plankowner

Nope. Nice day... just marking time until I go pick up this woman for day together.
Roy Ator
Posted 2009-08-30 11:36 AM (#30216 - in reply to #30212)

Great Sage of the Sea

Our 'ring' was two longs and a short on the hand crank. One long was for the operator. Anytime the phone rang, everyone picked up for the local news. We were on a nine party line that was maintained by the users of the line. The wall phone had two large dry cell batteries. We still have an independently owned telephone system with excellent modern service including DSL internet.
SOB490
Posted 2009-08-30 1:00 PM (#30220 - in reply to #30216)

Old Salt

So far as I can recall, my family and I have always been tied to Ma Bell's apron strings.

We originally had a hand crank system that rang "central" and we told the operator who we wanted to be connected to by name, not their phone number. So far as I know, nobody even had individual phone numbers, just a jack on the switchboard.

The operator (Depending on the time of day, she was one of two old spinster sisters who lived together and their parlor was full of switchboards and batteries) always knew the whereabouts of Doc Steese as well as just about everybody -- and everything -- else in town.

Before switching over, we had a 3-party line so we knew by one long, or one long and one short, or one long and two shorts who the call was for.

When we shifted from the old crank-style and got a real phone number, it was 490. That was in 1944 -- some 12 years later, my qual boat was .... 490. Mere coincidence.

We got phones with rotary dials on them in 1949 and went to a 5-digit phone number, but we didn't get actual dial service in 1952. I never understood why we had dial phones but no dial service - whether Western Electric was overstocked or we were just slow getting the new style central switch.

We went to the 7-digit dialing system in 1956 - just before I left home for boot camp. I can still hear all of the pissing and moaning about having to look up and then remember the number long enough to dial all of 7 digits! Pop was good with numbers, but Mom finally wound up having to write them down on a pad of paper held by some plastic contraption that the phone sat in.

We still had to dial "Operator" for long distance calls - I don't remember when direct long distance dial came into our area, as I was long gone by then.

Ain't technology grand? 

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software