Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: "Without courage, you might as well not be in it. You’ve got to have courage--moral courage, physical courage--and honor. Honor means telling the truth even when it might not be to your advantage" Retired Capt. Charles W. Rush Jr. (85), Navy Cross recipient, when asked to give advice to Chiefs and Junior Officers in today's submarine service.
Navy service and final destinations
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Sewer Pipe Snipe
Posted 2009-09-03 1:18 AM (#30390)
Master and Commander

Subject: Navy service and final destinations

My Uncle's brother Ted served in the Navy. He was the only Brother to leave the North-east after the war and went farming in Nebraska. He said he was far enough away from the Oceans so he wouldn't smell them. The Japanese or Germans would have a lot of American's to fight their way through to get to him if they decided to start up again. I'm sure somewhere in there was an interesting story, but I never got to hear it.

Edited by Sewer Pipe Snipe 2009-09-03 1:19 AM
steamboat
Posted 2009-09-03 3:49 AM (#30391 - in reply to #30390)
Master and Commander

Subject: RE: Navy service and final destinations

Isn't it strange how some families stay in one locality thier entire life while others spread with the wind? In fact some families live where thier ancestors settled before Colonial times.I have a Buddy here in Virginia that has scarcly been out of the County, much less the state. There is something to be said about a sence of place that one only gets with a long time enduring whatever life throws at you with family and friends.
Personally I have lived in 10 states (really) from Upper New York to Alabama, from Virginia to Oregon. And my siblings live in Vermont, Oregon, Arizona and Virginia.
I don't know which is the more rewarding... a lifetime in one place where one knows everyone and thier family history, or the memories of different places and customs. Both have thier own rewards.
Thanks a lot for bringing up the subject, Walt. I have thought about it a lot over the years, especially now that I have time for reflection. Yes there are many stories to be told by those who have lived both types of lives.
Steamboat sends

Edited by steamboat 2009-09-03 3:57 AM
Doc Gardner
Posted 2009-09-03 4:57 AM (#30392 - in reply to #30390)

Master and Commander

Good post; makes me wonder if my uncle chose to live by the ocean so he would always be near water after being a tank driver in North Africa during WWII?
Like Steamboat I've lived in numerous states but am now within 50 miles of where I grew up. My brother is in Florida and my children are in Missouri. My wife and I are still debating where we will retire to; I think the decision will be hers and I'll just tag along.
Roy Ator
Posted 2009-09-03 5:16 AM (#30394 - in reply to #30390)

Great Sage of the Sea

Interesting observation there John and got me to recalling my family. I'm from a large family and the youngest of nine siblings. I dropped anchor within a mile of where my dad was born on 10 March 1889 and where I was born in 1933. During my working career, we made about sixteen moves including Washington, DC, Alameda, CA, Groton, CT, Portland, OR, Virginia Beach, VA, Satellite Beach, FL, Charleston, SC, Key West, FL, Titusville, FL, Lubbock, TX, McKinney, TX and now near Lipan, TX. My siblings scattered from coast to coast. Our children, born in CA & VA, now reside within a couple of miles of us. Home is where you hang your hat, I reckon... We enjoy being near our grandchildren and great grand! The internet thankfully has brought me close to my Navy family too.
The old mustang sends...

Edited by Roy Ator 2009-09-03 5:21 AM
SOB490
Posted 2009-09-03 5:50 AM (#30395 - in reply to #30394)

Old Salt

Funny thing about "going home." My wife and I grew up together near Chicago, went our separate ways after high school, whelped our respective families, and after reconnecting and settling in the San Freakcisco area about 15 years back, I want the hell out of this fruit-loop infested place and she wants to stay put. For different reasons.

Folks tell me I'm nuts to want to give up a beautiful climate and go back to the "horrible weather" in Chicago - whereas I see the issue being more about outrageous taxes, hopelessly broken government, and flaming left-wing politics than I do climate. Maybe it is just that I grew up immersed in Chicago politics and I don't understand "normal people??" Darlene is still a native Chicagoan at heart but has fallen in love with the moderate climate here.

Between us we have 7 kids and 11, soon to be 13 grandkids and they are scattered all over the country from Bahstun to burning to the ground Southern California and soggy Oregon with a stopover in Denver. As Roy notes, being near our grandkids would be a pleasure  - except with them scattered all over, we don't have a concentration anywhere and any re-clustering of the clans doesn't appear to be in the offing either.

But, crazy or not, I'm ready to go home.

Interesting anecdote about post US&N retirement -- one of the NAVSECGRU officers I worked with while in the Pentagon had been stationed all over the world during his 30 year career. When he finally came up to his retirement date, someone asked him where he and his family were going to settle. Steve's answer was a classic -- "I'm going to put a pair of oars over my shoulder and start walking inland until someone asks me 'what are those things on your shoulder?' That is where we'll settle." He wound up as a county sheriff in Idaho and loves every second of it!

Edited by SOB490 2009-09-03 6:02 AM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software