Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: In their history, submarines were called by many names such as 'eel boats', 'plunging boats', 'devil divers', and 'pig boats'. Technically, and by size, the submarine is a ship, but it has been called a boat since its earliest days, and the term is steeped in tradition. Submariners almost invariably call their ships 'boats".
Just a tad bit about looking militarily sharp in a Class A...
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Corabelle
Posted 2009-09-03 12:36 PM (#30410)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: Just a tad bit about looking militarily sharp in a Class A...

When we went to Cam's graduation from Boot Camp in San Diego I asked him how he kept his shirt tucked in so neatly. I'll tell you in a while, but first...does anyone else know how this is done?

Cora
Tom McNulty
Posted 2009-09-03 12:39 PM (#30411 - in reply to #30410)

Master and Commander

Subject: RE: Just a tad bit about looking militarily sharp in a Class A...

The Bellbottoms didn't get tucked in. The Summer Whites, the ones with short sleeve shirts were easy. Most of us old farts were skinny enough to tighten our belts enough to hold the shirt. However, I'm guessing some sort of suspender look alikes that went from the calf and clipped onto the shirt tail.
TSpoon
Posted 2009-09-03 12:54 PM (#30412 - in reply to #30410)
Great Sage of the Sea

I know, I know as my granddaughter just got out of Air Force boot camp a while back.
She had a sort of suspendergarter that attached to her shirt tails and when inside her pants to her sock tops. Made her smile when she sat down.LOL
T.Spoon, DBF
Ric
Posted 2009-09-03 1:20 PM (#30413 - in reply to #30412)

Plankowner

When my cousin became a 90 day wonder for the AF back in 1963 he had the same thing, little elastic straps that went from shirt tails to socks down each leg.
Corabelle
Posted 2009-09-03 1:39 PM (#30414 - in reply to #30413)

COMSUBBBS

I figured you would know, even though your uniform shirts (blouses) were not tucked in. Cam called these things 'shirt stays,' and they were double-ended fasteners that were attached to the shirt tails and then to their socks. When he said 'stays,' it brought to mind the 'stays' that were stiff plastic or bone strips that were built into corsets, such as my mother wore. But I can see where these double garters would make a shirt 'stay' tucked in. They can't be very comfortable.

But, they DO make a uniform neat and SHARP and military-looking.

Cora
dex armstrong
Posted 2009-09-03 11:25 PM (#30426 - in reply to #30410)

COMSUBBBS

Corabelle, There's a stiff filtration membrane that acts like a plankton screen in a whales' gill called "baleen" that whalers cut out of a harvested whale and sent to the finest Parisian corset makers to use as stays. (Talk about a run-on sentence). At the turn of the century there was an American shirt manufacturer called the ARROW SHIRT COMPANY. They adverised that Arrow shirts came with baleen collar stays to keep the collar points looking sharp. DEX
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software