Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: Interests in submarines extends to royalty and presidents. The King of England and the King and Queen of Spain are among those who have made submerged cruises in submarines. As a result of a trip in an early United States submarine, President "Teddy" Roosevelt ordered extra compensation for personnel serving in the "Silent Service." President Harry Truman made a 440 foot dive in a captured German submarine. The first President to cruise aboard a nuclear submarine was President Eisenhower who rode the USS SEAWOLF out of Newport, Rhode Island on September 26, 1957.
Youngest sailor in WW II
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Ric
Posted 2009-09-04 11:53 AM (#30439)

Plankowner

Subject: Youngest sailor in WW II

Calvin Leon Graham (April 3, 1930–November 6, 1992) was youngest person ever to enlist in the United States Navy, and the youngest U.S. serviceman during World War II. He enlisted in the Navy at age 12 following the attack on Pearl Harbor.

He was wounded at the Naval Battle of Guadalcanal, while serving aboard the USS South Dakota. During the battle, he helped in the fire control efforts aboard the South Dakota, but suffered shrapnel wounds in the process. For his actions he was awarded the Bronze Star and the Purple Heart. However, his mother later revealed his age, and after spending three months in a brig—he was not released until after his sister threatened to contact the newspapers—he was dishonorably discharged for lying about his age and lost his disability benefits.

Graham later joined the United States Marines at age 17, but his service ended about three years later when he fell from a pier and broke his back. Although serving in the Marines qualified him as a veteran, he would spend the rest of his life fighting for medical benefits and a clean record. In 1978, he was finally awarded an honorable discharge, and after writing to Congress and with the approval of President Jimmy Carter, all medals but his Purple Heart were reinstated. He received disability and back pay in 1988.

His Purple Heart was finally reinstated and presented to his widow, Mary, nearly two years after his death.

His story came to public attention in 1988, when his story was told in the TV movie, Too Young the Hero. He was played by Rick Schroder.
Corabelle
Posted 2009-09-04 9:45 PM (#30457 - in reply to #30439)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: RE: Youngest sailor in WW II

I saw that movie, Ric. I thought it was 'Too Young To Be A Hero.' Of course it was also interesting to me because he was on the USS South Dakota.

After one battle (as I remember it) where he was manning a large gun, he became frightened and wanted to get out of the service, but 'the powers that were' thought he was a coward, and was again tellling a lie when his reason to get out was that he was telling his real age. They thought that since he was a big kid, that he was now lying in reverse, and that he was older than what he was telling them, when he was finally telling the truth. Damn - now I'm confusing myself. I wanted to find a copy of that film at the time that I took my two youngest grandsons to see the USS South Dakota Memorial in Sioux Falls, but I've never been able to find it.

Cora
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software