Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: "Submariners are a special brotherhood, either all come to the surface or no one does. On a submarine, the phrase all for one and one for all is not just a slogan, but reality.” -- VADM Rudolf Golosov of the Russian Navy
Questions about USSVI
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

dex armstrong
Posted 2009-09-06 5:29 AM (#30506)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: Questions about USSVI

There have to be folks still around who actually knew the men who formed SubVets...Joe Negri and his mates. Before we lose the men who actually were there at the keel laying of this great organization, we need to have the editorial staff of the AMERICAN SUBMARINER magazine do biographical pieces on these sub sailors, so those of us never had the honor of meeting and getting to know them, can get to know them through the eyes of people who actually knew them. Just an idea. DEX
Doc Gardner
Posted 2009-09-06 8:33 AM (#30510 - in reply to #30506)

Master and Commander

Subject: RE: Questions about USSVI

dex armstrong - 2009-09-06 8:29 AM

There have to be folks still around who actually knew the men who formed SubVets...Joe Negri and his mates. Before we lose the men who actually were there at the keel laying of this great organization, we need to have the editorial staff of the AMERICAN SUBMARINER magazine do biographical pieces on these sub sailors, so those of us never had the honor of meeting and getting to know them, can get to know them through the eyes of people who actually knew them. Just an idea. DEX

Send this request to:
SubVetsEditor@yahoo.com
Mike Bircumshaw I'm sure would entertain this idea; it's a good one.
John396
Posted 2009-09-06 10:38 AM (#30513 - in reply to #30506)
Old Salt

Dex, great idea!
viejo
Posted 2009-09-06 11:08 AM (#30514 - in reply to #30513)

Senior Crew

There already is some of this written down. USSVI has a historian listed with picture and contact information on it's web page. His name is Peter J. Koester.  Seems like he would be the one to put together information like that and then Michael could put it in the magazine in a series of articles. What should be happening is that we should all be encouraging our Historian to take our USSVI book that came out and start putting together an update that is much more complete and has biographies and pictures of all those who have been active in USSVI. We also should include a lot of pictures and information on what we have achieved through our Charitable Foundation.

The organization today is a lot different that it was 15 years ago and has a lot more to offer than it did. One of the things that would help the most would be for someone to do articles on the Charitable Foundation and it's increasing importance as the part of USSVI that makes possible a lot of what we do to further our creed.

We owe John Andersen a lot of respect and gratitude for his knowledge and farsightedness is setting up a Foundation that has been able to handle our ever changing roles as we expand in the projects we take on and the benefit we are able to give to our museum boats, our memorials, and with the tireless work of Paul Orstad with our  scholarships.  John Andersen, John Peters, Paul Orstad, and of course Gumba would be excellent sources of information on the history of USSVI; but it would be proper and work best to run it through the USSVI Historian.

Viejo

dex armstrong
Posted 2009-09-06 12:00 PM (#30518 - in reply to #30506)

COMSUBBBS

I know that there is a lot of moaning and groaning at times...folks getting out of sorts and setting fire to the jungle...BUT, I personally feel that SubVets is head and shoulders above every other Veterans organization out there. It is well run, turns out a crackerjack publication and does many great and wonderful things for the submarine community. When you consider what a small percentage of America's fighting forces we represent, we can be damn proud of the organization we are honored to belong to. That doesn't happen by accident...When it comes to operating an organization there is no Fairy Godmother...no Sadagadoolah Michie-gah-doola Bippity-Boppity-Boo stuff...no damn shoemakers elves...or magic beans. Standing helm on USSVI...has got to be one helluvalot like driving cattle to Aboline...a lot of heavy bullwhipping and yelling. Sometimes you wonder who you should be thanking....Householder, Conlon, Gumba, John Wynn...I'm fortunate enough to know them but I know that there are one helluvalot of other hands out there that deserve equal handshakes. I've never criticized the leadership of this organization because I, as dumb as I am, can't fail to recognize the class effort that goes into the charting of this efforts course. OUTSTANDING....I know how much Gentry, Rontini and Gil put into it....and that rapscallion Chief Clear and Millie. Here on Gentry's board we bust one helluva lot of heavy lumber over each others heads but in the final analysis we're a family bound together by the wearing of Dolphins and service beneath the waves. I freely admit that by far, the most important influence in the recovery from losing my little blue eyed Norwegian, was Gentry's forbearance and my wonderful shipmates here, especially that no good sonuvabitch John Wynn who used to call me up regularly just to dump a load of molten lava past the elastic in my boxer shorts....to include The Duchess of Lumpy Bumps and Corabelle who now takes me for walks on the end of a choke chain that was formerly housed with a tincan anchor. I'm damn proud to be a part of USSVI. What other Vets outfit has a HOLLAND CLUB where they put the old coots out to pasture in an imaginary stud farm like a damn Kentucky Derby winner? Out there with the barnacle encrusted coffee swillers, beer guzzlers and seegar smokers....Out there in the open fields of the HC Ranch where big busted blondes hustle you cold draft, Slim Jims, BEER NUTS and pickled hard boiled eggs....and let you pat'em on the fannie and make em' wink. No, I've reached that point on the trail of life where God lets you ride shotgun on the stage toward the end of the run and you get to thank the driver and all the station masters along the way who have been so damn good to you for so many years....The swiftness of my wife's departure taught me to get your thanking done way before you sort your gear and start tossing your earthly gear on the messdeck tables to be canibalized by the animals you rode with or in the damn Lucky Bag. There are hands you need tho thank...hands you need to shake and folks like the fellows in the wheelhouse of this outfit, you need to adequately thank. If you're a boatsailor out there and you can't find it in your heart to support SubVets, you Sir, are making a mistake...a great big mistake. Anyway, I have gotten far more out of this absolutely wonderful outfit than I could pay back in three lifetimes and for that I am truly greatful. DEX
chiefjoe
Posted 2009-09-15 10:14 AM (#30735 - in reply to #30506)
Senior Crew

At the National in San Diego there was a number of volunteers doing the video and paper with pencil recording of all comers. With the WWII Subvets there I am sure they captured some VERY PERISHABLE stories. I hope everyone who has a story to tell takes advantage of these good people and may they know how much they are appreciated for their time and efforts in this task.

Joe P
viejo
Posted 2009-09-15 10:22 AM (#30736 - in reply to #30735)

Senior Crew

And I hope that someday, we'll have a USSVI historian who can attend conventions and other reunions and do the same thing for our USSVI documents. There are lots of people, some in USSVI, who do a lot of histories, but unfortunately, that doesn't mean we get most of them in our USSVI library in N. Little Rock.

We are all about living the creed; seems that the USSVI historian would be encouraged by those in charge to be one of the most active and visable persons in our organization.

Viejo

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software