Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: "They also serve those who only stand and wait" - Eleanor Rickover, quoting Milton's "On His Blindness"
Our smallest Museum boat gets a coat of paint
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

viejo
Posted 2009-09-06 11:16 AM (#30516)

Senior Crew

Subject: Our smallest Museum boat gets a coat of paint

At Freedom Park in Omaha, NE., over 45 scouts and their families and friends came down Saturday morning and painted the outside of the USS Marlin SST-2. Also much prep work on some of the small armaments around the park was done by some of the younger scouts. Thanks to some subvets and other volunteers, the park was recently able to open the Marlin and the USS Hazard AM-240 after their being closed for around 4 years. The week before Active duty Sailors from Offutt Base came out and cleaned and primed the sub. The scaffolding and putting it up was donated by a company in Omaha and Omaha Parks and Rec who now own the park, donated the paint and supplies.

Viejo

Edited by viejo 2009-09-06 11:19 AM

(Painting Periscope (600 x 402).jpg)

(North Side Done (600 x 422).jpg)

(SouthSide Done (600 x 396).jpg)

(Painting Marlin (600 x 402).jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Painting Periscope (600 x 402).jpg (36KB - 432 downloads)
Attachments North Side Done (600 x 422).jpg (51KB - 433 downloads)
Attachments SouthSide Done (600 x 396).jpg (66KB - 430 downloads)
Attachments Painting Marlin (600 x 402).jpg (58KB - 415 downloads)
Coyote
Posted 2009-09-23 10:35 PM (#31123 - in reply to #30516)

Master and Commander

Subject: RE: Our smallest Museum boat gets a coat of paint

Next time I get out there to visit Mr Buffett, I'll go look this thing up.

We (1958) would see this thing getting underway, then be bussed to get onto some skimmer thing like USS Milledgeville to go find it. Might just as well have stayed in bed. That PCE tought me one thing, though - never work in the forepeak head in a state 5.

Regards, Coyote
SOB490
Posted 2009-09-24 7:12 AM (#31128 - in reply to #30516)

Old Salt

Viejo - CONGRATULATIONS on getting this done - and double congratulations for being able to attract so many willing volunteers - I'm absolutely persuaded that the future of all of our museum boats is tied directly to the strength of their respective volunteer groups! Hopefully, you MARLIN folks can continue to grow that critical resource.
viejo
Posted 2009-09-24 10:43 AM (#31133 - in reply to #31128)

Senior Crew

SOB, this Saturday, we are having an organizational meeting to hopefully start a USSVI chapter in Omaha. Their main project will be helping with Freedom Park.

As you know from our conversations in the past, it will be made very clear that we are there to help and that we operate under the Park managment. So far we have had a very good relationship with those who manage Omaha's parks and I intend to make sure that it stays that way. They in turn have been very generous about how much we are allowed to do.

So having more subvets to help out on a regular basis will help get the park open back up as it used to be. Next projects include getting the gazebo set up for a gift shop and hopefully yet this fall we can get the Hazard painted also.

Viejo

TSpoon
Posted 2009-09-24 11:13 AM (#31136 - in reply to #30516)
Great Sage of the Sea

Good Luck Viejo, you and SOB are correct in that it takes a lot of volunteering, hard work, common interest, and congeniality to care for our museum boats. Someone does have to be in charge and that should be those who have the legal and financial responsibility for the boats. We sub vets have the time, love, and knowledge and should not question but help.

Again Good Luck,
T.Spoon, DBF
Pampanito Docent
Ric
Posted 2009-09-24 11:55 AM (#31138 - in reply to #31133)

Plankowner

When I visited the Park in 2000 I ran into a skimmer working on the Hazzard. He said he was one of the few volunteers at the park and he couldn't get any of the few subvets he knew interested in helping. The T-2 was in terrible condition. Much vandalism to the interior. Glad to see the turn around.
viejo
Posted 2009-09-24 3:11 PM (#31140 - in reply to #31138)

Senior Crew

Ric, at that time a family owned it and they had problems because a lot of their volunteers had been military that got assigned to Irag and other places. The city took it over a year and a half ago and I started talking to them a year ago and started doing things about 9 months ago. There is a Nebraska Base of USSVI and they have been good about coming up and helping, but many of them live over a hundred miles away, so we are now getting the word out to Navy people at Offutt and to sub sailors who live in the Omaha area. We are misssing a couple of gages and other than that the inside needs painting and cleaning, then some work on systems, but looks pretty good to show. The Hazard is in pretty good shape and most who visit are impressed with both of them. I think we are lucky to have people who want to help and to have people in the city who are glad for our help.Viejo
snakeyez
Posted 2009-09-24 8:32 PM (#31147 - in reply to #30516)

Senior Crew

Great work you are doing there Bill. So glad that things are turning around.
viejo
Posted 2009-09-24 8:35 PM (#31148 - in reply to #31147)

Senior Crew

Lance, just sent the guy who does the submarine pages on the navsource photo index pages, over to your pages to look around. He has  a list of museum boats and figured he could get some updates from your pages.

Viejo

Ric
Posted 2009-09-24 9:08 PM (#31149 - in reply to #31148)

Plankowner

That is Mike Mohl. Mike and I have been corresponding for years. Nice guy and a real hard worker. He also does the Battleship pages.
viejo
Posted 2009-09-25 5:06 AM (#31152 - in reply to #31149)

Senior Crew

Just found out he lives in Israel. Yes he is an interesting guy.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software