Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: "They weren't just hull numbers, they were our home addresses. Now the old neighborhood is torn down and gone and all that is left are memories." -- Dick Murphy, USS Tiru SS 416
THANKS CHIEF CLEAR....Thanks a million
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

dex armstrong
Posted 2009-09-16 12:06 AM (#30758)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: THANKS CHIEF CLEAR....Thanks a million

Convention in Norfolk 2012....Dammit I'll be there, hopefully wearing my brand new Holland Club patch...Me and the Goatster....the king of the Cuban Stinkies, What great news. I'm going to start tossiong my pocket change in my trusty SAVE UP FOR STUFF, Maxwell House can....NORFOLK, W-O-W...Hell, I can hit DesSub Piers with a rock from here. The Maxwell House can has just been redesignated from the "save up for a twelve guage" to the "Norfolk or bust" Savings and Loan. My dream of being able to park my worthless butt at the table with the other wornout senior citizens of the Holland Club will be realized....Realized in the same location where I had Dolphins pinned on a wet dungaree shirt aft of the conning tower fairwater, by the skipper Cdr. Ed Frothingham Jr. on a freezing February day in 1960....and was I cold. Back then boatsailors used to say,"Best way to see Norfolk was through the rearview mirror of a car heading outta town." No longer, Norfolk has become a vibrant, exciting town...East Main has been replaced by a magnificent harbor complex supporting shops, wonderful dining places, a marine life aquarium and marine research center and the venue of rotating exhibits and cultural events. Chief Clear, I'll make it one way or another....If I croak, John Wynn will get me embalmed, varnished and he'll roll me in on a handtruck and prop me up against the bulkhead at the Holland Club Breakfast....just blow the termites and ants off me and hand me a cup of that "float-a-brick" midwatch percolated sludge. You have no idea what wonderful news that was, that you delivered about the location selection. It's the answer to my fondest dream....Just wish my little blue-eyed,Norwegian, Metric Built Blonde could be here to go with me...but she's probably up there dancing with Patrick Swayzee and having a hellua time while I'm down here doing laundry, picking up the house, washing dishes and hauling out the trash by myself....and doing my damndest to get Corabelle to adopt me (I come with aprons and my own collection of toilet brushes and pot scrubbers). Norfolk....Man, don't let anyone kid you...prayers do get answered. God, just cut me enough slack so I could get my Holland Club patch and fill my Maxwell House can...(I'm turning the 12 ga, over to the Tooth Fairy. That's her responsibility...or the Virginia Lottery...or digging up a cigar box full of loot in Bernie Madoff's back yard.). W-O-W what great news. If anyone of you run into anyone in USSVI who had ANYTHING to do with the decision to select Norfolk, kiss 'em on the lips for me. There must be a four hundred pound four-leaf clover out in my yard somewhere. Gil, tell me how much a 3X blue golf shirt with Dolphins (enlisted), My name....and USS REQUIN (SS-481) on it will run this old coot and I will get a check in the mail...When it gets here, I'll sew a Holland Club patch on it and hang the damn thing in the living room with a sign pinned on it reading NORFOLK 2012....I'm euphoric...running around like the preverbial chicken with its' head chopped off. It'll be a chance to see folks who have become dear friends, I've met regularly here at Gentry's Cyber Jamboree and Magic Carpet Ride....Man whadda gift. Do you guys realize how close February 2010 is? It's getting down to "short putt" range....Of course the NORTHERN VIRGINIA BASE doesn't hold its' HC induction dinner until November, but Householder said after February, I can have the Holland Club logo tattooed on my eyelids and painted on my roof. Seriously, it's 2:44AM and I'm sitting here at my computer glowing in the dark....Thanks Chief Clear....and also, thanks for being personally and singularly responsible for me not bothering anyone by puffing on cigarettes at the Holland Club Breakfast. This morning I'm one happy sonuvabitch. Living alone ain't a helluva lot of fun...but what makes it bearable is having dreams of things to look forward to and this one's a doozey. You think the Duchess of Lumpy Bumps and her Duke'll be there? Hope so. Man, I feel twenty feet tall, bullet proof and able to leap tall buildings in a single bound. In the words of the late, Mr. Rogers..." Boys and girls can you say happy?"...."Can you say smiling bastard?" Thanks everyone, now I'm going to throw on some pants and a shirt...crank up the van...drive to the Waffle House down on 234 at Dumfries...buy a morning paper...go in, order a waffle, hash browns, two sausage patties...buttered toast with grape jelly...large milk...orange juice...and a cup of coffee that will bounce lug nuts....smiling like that cat that gobbled up that canary. 2012...too bad they haven't published calendars for 2012 so I could draw a red circle around the date, which they probably haven't decided on yet. Chief, get a big armload of Millie and dance around the living room with her, for me. 2012...WOW. DEX
crystal
Posted 2009-09-16 6:54 AM (#30769 - in reply to #30758)

Master and Commander

Subject: RE: THANKS CHIEF CLEAR....Thanks a million

Dexter, I'll be there in 2012 also, varnished or not, wearing my Holland Club badge from the year before! 

Missed the goatster's cigars this year so I had to provide my own... The Remy Martin XO was there and available but without Ray I had to drink his share - damnation! 

Stay healthy and cranky for just a few more (minimum)..

(55.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 55.jpg (90KB - 429 downloads)
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software