Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: ENS Sam Hunter, the first submarine casualty of WWII on Dec. 8, 1941. He was attached to Sea Dragon moored next to Sealion. He was killed by shrapnel from the first bomb hit on Sealion penetrating the conning tower of Sea Dragon. The second hit killed 4 men in Sealions Engineroom.
Oh Canada... and the saluting kid.
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Don Gentry
Posted 2009-09-16 6:37 PM (#30800)

Admin

Subject: Oh Canada... and the saluting kid.

This is awesome short video of a kid who pretty patriotic.  Make note of his footwork just prior to the salute and the response of the CA troops.  Doc Gardner will have special appreciation for the kids uniform!

http://www.videosift.com/video/Little-Belgian-Boy-Salutes-Canadian-Troops

Thomas Courtien
Posted 2009-09-16 7:15 PM (#30801 - in reply to #30800)
Master and Commander

Subject: RE: Oh Canada... and the saluting kid.

Very cute! The kid is not inhibited.
Roy Ator
Posted 2009-09-16 8:38 PM (#30804 - in reply to #30800)

Great Sage of the Sea

Thanks Don! Very touching...
Don Gentry
Posted 2009-09-16 9:43 PM (#30807 - in reply to #30804)

Admin

I'd very much like to find out where this kid ends up by age 18 to 20 or so!
Ric
Posted 2009-09-16 9:56 PM (#30808 - in reply to #30800)

Plankowner

Done with class on both parts!
Doc Gardner
Posted 2009-09-17 4:33 AM (#30814 - in reply to #30800)

Master and Commander

Don Gentry - 2009-09-16 9:37 PM

This is awesome short video of a kid who pretty patriotic.  Make note of his footwork just prior to the salute and the response of the CA troops.  Doc Gardner will have special appreciation for the kids uniform!

http://www.videosift.com/video/Little-Belgian-Boy-Salutes-Canadian-Troops

I've seen that clip before and it always impresses me that the young lad has been taught history and the Canadian Troops recognized the significance of what he was doing. Now if I could just figure out what tartan he is wearing I could determine if he is a relative of mine.
BZ to both
dex armstrong
Posted 2009-09-17 6:20 AM (#30817 - in reply to #30800)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: Bless the Corporal.

Thanks so much for displaying that video clip. At my age there are very few images that bring tears to your eyes. Thanks, for one that did. WOW, I thought they quit making youngsters like that. Great to be proven wrong... The mother and father of that little corporal must be extremely proud of the values that have obviously taken root in his heart. And God Bless the leader of that marching contingient, who returned the lad's salute. I attend a lot of parades...Washington is a town of a lot of parades...It is very rare to see people, remove their hats...place their hands over their hearts...salute...or pay respect to a passing set of national colors. I recently went to a little theater production on a night where a 100% of profit generated by the ticket sales went to support the National Capital Boy Scout Council....It opened with a recitation of the Pledge of Allegience. The little kid sitting next to me was about ten or twelve and didn't know the words...what it was....or why we were doing it. He was serious...I said, "Don't you do that each morning in school." "Not in my school...I've never heard it." "How bout the National Anthem?" "You know the words?" "Yeah, they sing that before all the Washington Nationals ballgames. If you don't, you have bad luck." It's weird...I guess I've lost touch." But then you see something like the Little Corporal and you truly hope that somebody blows on the burning embers of the youngsters who have the same patriotic heart that beats beneath that Corporals "battle jacket" and restore the pariotism that existed in all lads hearts in my day. We need to renew respect for Scouting and make it tough again where when youngsters comeplete the journey, the trip will have built the ideals, respect, patriotic understanding, devotion to spiritual values, parental love and repect that form the foundation for a non-compromising manly life. I have found that many of the requirements of the 1940's and 50's Boy Scouts have been modified, altered, watered down and reduced in impact. In this area, most of the troops have disappeared....because lads find Scouting, irrelivant, boring, old fashioned, and lacking in technological training, computer education...."Hey Man...Nobody uses Morse Code anymore...You can toss all the damn pocket compasses in the can and gitcha a GPS box." "When you git in tha military, they give you MRE's that you just heat up...why learn cooking?" "Sir, you kin learn more from a Clint Eastwood movie that you kin learn from the Scouts." Then you see that Little Corporal and you wonder (a) where did that wonderful little lad learn that level of devotion and respect and (b) Would it be possible to clone him...or make a vaccine out of his attitude and values and innoculate the entire teenage population of the country." (Just kidding, before someone gets their panties in a bunch.). Thanks Don...a wonderful way to start the day. DEX
Ralph Luther
Posted 2009-09-17 9:04 AM (#30827 - in reply to #30817)
COMSUBBBS

Subject: RE: Bless the Corporal.

You are absolutely right, Dex. Everytime I view that clip my throat feels like I'm trying to swallow a GDU weight.
dex armstrong
Posted 2009-09-17 8:53 PM (#30879 - in reply to #30800)

COMSUBBBS

After World War II, I was a little kid living in Chattanooga. Chattanooga was one of the most active railroad centers in the nation...Chattanooga Choo-Choo played by Glenn Miller and sung by Tex Beneke was the undisputed best seller at that time...During the war, trains rumbled through the city at all hours of the day, carrying trucks, tanks, artillery pieces and troops. At the end of the War, the troops came home. At one point the newspaper told us that the 36th "Texas" Division would be returning in sections during the night. The L&N Railway folks placed empty oil drums and chunks of coal along the tracks for a couple of miles north of the city. People were invited to come down and welcome the 36th home as the sections passed through. The Coca-Cola Company provided free Cokes....The Crystal hamburger shops handed out free burgers and the Red Cross and Salvation Army handed out free coffeee. My Mother and the wonderful ladies of The Church of the Good Shepherd (Episcopal) made ham sandwiches, and wrapped them in wax paper, boxed them and took them down to the tracks. When we got there there were people all over the place. The bands from Chattanooga High, Baylor School for Boys and McCallie Military School were there. When the first section came through it had a big sign on the front of the engine reading HEADING TO TEXAS...and was met by one band playing "The Eyes of TEXAS Are Upon You" and "Chattanooga Choo-Choo" . The train stopped long enough for women to pass sandwiches, Cokes, potato chips, Brock candy bars...and coffeee up to grinning, laughing and very grateful sun tanned boys, who two months ago had been veteran infantrymen in Europe. My Mom got grabbed and kissed....I got an overseas cap. It went on all night. We would see the locomotive light and hear the oncoming train whistle...the band would strike up "The Eyes of TEXAS are Upon You" and the women would rush to fill their arms with boxes of sandwiches...while men were shovelling coal into the red hot oil drums....and kids stayed up way past their normal bedtimes to greet train loads of smiling, hollering wild men heading back to Texas...It was a night of wonderful memories. They all came back seeing that wonderful Canadian lad in that terrific video Ali Baba Gentry gave us. It all came back...my Mom was alive again and the world was wonderful. Thanks again Don...DEX
Coyote
Posted 2009-09-17 9:43 PM (#30883 - in reply to #30800)

Master and Commander

Thanks for the great recollection, Dex.

We do our best here for the returning troops, but we can't approach that which was done in 1945.

Coyote
dex armstrong
Posted 2009-09-18 1:45 AM (#30887 - in reply to #30800)

COMSUBBBS

Coyote, All day I've kept retuning to that video clip for a booster shot of sunshine. I hope his Mom and Dad have a real good copy of it and a nice portrait photograph of him "turned out" in that magnificent uniform. Thanks again. DEX
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software