Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: The first diesel engines built by Electric Boat for submarines were installed (1913) in the USS NAUTILUS and SEAWOLF, namesakes of the first nuclear powered submarines, also built by Electric Boat.
Help with prospective new submariner!
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

subvetss
Posted 2009-09-17 7:26 AM (#30819)
Senior Crew

Subject: Help with prospective new submariner!

A young man who is interested in becoming a submariner would like to come over and talk to me about the submarine service.
Now I have old sub school note books from the Tench class boats and I can surely illuminate his mind with images of the glory days of rough, rowdy, disrespectful, smelly, crude, unruly and seemingly undisciplined smoke boat sailors but I don't have a clue as how to tell him about the Rickover anesthetized, kinder, gentler, politically correct.,disciplined, sensitive, poopey suited, sweet smelling, modern denizens of the deep.
Any suggestions?
Roy Ator
Posted 2009-09-17 7:53 AM (#30824 - in reply to #30819)

Great Sage of the Sea

Subject: RE: Help with prospective new submariner!

"Any suggestions?"  Yes, Joe give the young lad a history lesson like he's never heard before. Then explain that society and the military have changed radically along with new technology since those days. And us 'old pharts' don't really have a clue of what it's like today! His local Navy recruiter should be capable of giving him an overview of today's Navy.
Ralph Luther
Posted 2009-09-17 8:51 AM (#30825 - in reply to #30819)
COMSUBBBS

Why Joe I'm surprised at you !!!!!!!! Hells fire man, blow smoke up his arse like days of old. Make that smoke look like you're burning a 10x20 truck tire. Break him in right. He'll either jump at it or run home to his Mom so she can call her Congress...person.
RCK
Posted 2009-09-17 9:54 AM (#30830 - in reply to #30819)
Master and Commander

Clean poopy suits are the uniform of the day
Forks are on the portside (left). Knives and Spoons are on the right side (starboard0.
Lifting a cheek and blasting out is not considered good table manners anymore.
Polite requests for food and condiments are the rule....."pass da spuds ya puke" is no longer allowed.
"MAKE A HOLE," "UP LADDER," " DOWN LADDER," have been replace by "May I please pass sir"
"Next time I spot that puke on the horizon, I'll insert my size 13 brogans up his ass" has been replace by " I will teach him the proper
method to deal with the situation"
Once you have acquired he appropriate manners and proper discourse , you are qualifed!!!
Smiley
Posted 2009-09-17 1:18 PM (#30844 - in reply to #30819)
Great Sage of the Sea

subvetss - 2009-09-17 10:26 AM

A young man who is interested in becoming a submariner would like to come over and talk to me about the submarine service.
Now I have old sub school note books from the Tench class boats and I can surely illuminate his mind with images of the glory days of rough, rowdy, disrespectful, smelly, crude, unruly and seemingly undisciplined smoke boat sailors but I don't have a clue as how to tell him about the Rickover anesthetized, kinder, gentler, politically correct.,disciplined, sensitive, poopey suited, sweet smelling, modern denizens of the deep.
Any suggestions?

I would set him up on this BBS.. I'm sure there is one or two old boat sailors around here to set the skinny straight for this young man. On 2nd thought maybe ya better not.. It may scare him away when he discovers all the nuts like me around here and think our strange behavior is Submarine induced...
SOB490
Posted 2009-09-17 1:38 PM (#30846 - in reply to #30824)

Old Salt

>>>His local Navy recruiter should be capable of giving him an overview of today's Navy.

Roy, your tongue is showing thru your cheek!

Donald L. Johnson
Posted 2009-09-17 1:43 PM (#30847 - in reply to #30844)

Great Sage of the Sea

Smiley - 2009-09-17 1:18 PM

I would set him up on this BBS.. I'm sure there is one or two old boat sailors around here to set the skinny straight for this young man. On 2nd thought maybe ya better not.. It may scare him away when he discovers all the nuts like me around here and think our strange behavior is Submarine induced...

You mean it ISN'T?

This craziness is caused by something OTHER than being locked up in submersible sewer pipes for weeks at a time, breathing stale air and diesel fumes, not to mention the stuff that made some of us GLOW IN THE DARK?

Wait til my pshrink hears about this!

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software