Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: A submarine often navigates by sound when submerged. Sound can travel 3,000 nautical miles or more through water.
Anybody remember the Tommy gun?
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Coyote
Posted 2009-09-20 8:58 PM (#31025)

Master and Commander

Subject: Anybody remember the Tommy gun?

I was leafing through my copy of my service record the other day and found the entry that said I was qualified on the 1911A1 Colt Pistol and the Thomson M1926A1 Submachine gun.

Which brought back the day many of the crew qualified. We were south of New London in between times of playing target for airedales. The COB was a GMC(SS) named Howard Spense. He mentioned to the CO that some of the ammo was getting a little green and ought to be fired off or thrown overboard. So we had an all-hands qualification on the cigarette deck. GM1(SS) Norton assisted.

The cooks furnished a couple of five-gallon milk cans. We backed off and came back with 20-50 yards distance to the target and stopped. I have no idea how many rounds we fired, but it must have been in the thousands.

Anybody else ever do the Tommygun?

Blue - what was the equivalent keep-them-off-the-casing weapon in the OZ boats?

Link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thompson_submachine_gun

DBF
Coyote

Edited by Coyote 2009-09-20 9:05 PM
MAD DOG
Posted 2009-09-20 9:22 PM (#31026 - in reply to #31025)

Master and Commander

Subject: RE: Anybody remember the Tommy gun?

You betcha!
I killed many a coffee can or milk can with a thomson.
My weapon of choice,however,was the M-1 Carbine.
iPOD
Posted 2009-09-20 9:25 PM (#31027 - in reply to #31025)

Master and Commander

Coyote,

We carried F1's, the Auto version of the SLR, 9mm Browning Pistols and a 12 Gauge Shotgun, nowdays theyy use Steyers and ??? see links.

http://world.guns.ru/smg/smg66-e.htm

http://www.deactivated-guns.co.uk/detail/slr.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Browning_Hi-Power

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steyr_AUG

As to keeping them off the casing we used good looks and charm, or maybe that was keeping them on (the good looking female ones that is).

Another question did the milks tins survive like our gamelin drums often used to? We have however left some really big holes in several oceans over the years.

Blue from West Oz
Posted 2009-09-20 9:29 PM (#31028 - in reply to #31025)

Master and Commander

Subject: Blue the Shark Sentry...

POD has answered this question, but to see the sharpest Shark Sentry 100 navies could ever produce, click on the link! lol

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=30065648&l=2776b4916a&id=1490937323

Blue *_*
Sewer Pipe Snipe
Posted 2009-09-21 1:50 AM (#31039 - in reply to #31025)
Master and Commander

Still have access to one. The other, a Navy Overstamp, got sold for better than $25,000 with all the accessories. Am Uncle had a civilian model in a fitted mahogany case with the Thompson Logo on it. It got sold when he died, and my Aunt toured the US and parts of the world on all the money that $700 gun produced in the early eighties. The guns were exceptionally well made, but the value is in the paperwork that is attached to them. Making them legal to own. I will say they are more fun to shoot when you aren't footing the ammo bill.
Tom McNulty
Posted 2009-09-21 6:06 AM (#31048 - in reply to #31025)

Master and Commander

My repel boarders station topside had me with the Thompson. It had to have been an ancient model since it didn't even have the muzzle piece to reduce climb. I could hit a Smuckers jar about 25ft away in semi automatic but in full automatic the seagulls, satellites, and low flying aircraft were equally in danger. The guns also jammed quite often so it was as much for show as go. I think it was the ammo that probably survived WWII.
Coyote
Posted 2009-09-23 8:50 PM (#31118 - in reply to #31028)

Master and Commander

Subject: RE: Blue the Shark Sentry...

Blue from West Oz - 2009-09-20 11:29 PM

POD has answered this question, but to see the sharpest Shark Sentry 100 navies could ever produce, click on the link! lol

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=30065648&l=2776b4916a&id=1490937323

Blue *_*

Bloody oath, that's a scary sight...

Love the hat, though....

Coyote
Coyote
Posted 2009-09-23 8:56 PM (#31119 - in reply to #31027)

Master and Commander

iPOD - 2009-09-20 11:25 PM
Coyote,

We carried F1's, the Auto version of the SLR, 9mm Browning Pistols and a 12 Gauge Shotgun, nowdays theyy use Steyers and ??? see links.

As to keeping them off the casing we used good looks and charm, or maybe that was keeping them on (the good looking female ones that is).

Another question did the milks tins survive like our gamelin drums often used to? We have however left some really big holes in several oceans over the years.

I'll admit a 12-guage will slow most folks down, if not stop them. Good choice.
While I'm "qualified" on the Thomson, I'm certain I'd do better to throw it at the oncoming squirrel, then do him in with the pistol, which I *can* shoot. Damn Thomson wants to shoot at the sky, as another post-er points out.

..and yes, the damn milk cans were terribly hard to sink....probably still floating around the north atlantic.

DBF
Coyote
PS: I gotta meet you when we come down next (your) spring....

Edited by Coyote 2009-09-23 9:07 PM
Coyote
Posted 2009-09-23 9:03 PM (#31120 - in reply to #31026)

Master and Commander

MAD DOG - 2009-09-20 11:22 PM

You betcha!
I killed many a coffee can or milk can with a thomson.
My weapon of choice,however,was the M-1 Carbine.

The what? That little thing? I suppose if you're good, it doesn't matter what you're firing, but it's not my choice.

BW, Coyote
Sewer Pipe Snipe
Posted 2009-09-23 9:07 PM (#31121 - in reply to #31025)
Master and Commander

If that's an FN, did someone forget to lend you a Mag to go in it? Had an FN-FAL for a while. Beat the heck out of my high cheek bones, so I never did like it. Highly accurate though.

I remember once during an NWTPI (Nuclear Weapons Test Inspection) they asked one of our repel boarders team members what actions he would take on a surface attack at the Tender. He said that since he was aft of the sail, and TM2 "K" was forward of the sail, both armed with Thompsons. He would position himself where he could keep an eye on "K" at all times so "K" wouldn't accidentally shoot him. The Board didn't find that as funny as the rest of us. "K" had shot up the baffles at the Paris Island Range qualifying.

SOB490
Posted 2009-09-24 7:19 AM (#31129 - in reply to #31025)

Old Salt

Never mind that Tommy Gun! I'll take Tommy Gun's Garage -- a speakeasy format Roaring 20s joint about a block away from Chicago's police HQ on South State Street. Or if you prefer, Tommy Gunn's - one fine BBQ joint in Philly!
RCK
Posted 2009-09-24 9:22 AM (#31130 - in reply to #31025)
Master and Commander

Well there are historic guns like the Thompson and there are guns that have a delayed blow back and are more controlable. Now the Thompson ,in the hands of an experienced shooter who knows how to control the weapon, is a better knock down weapon, but the 9mm weapons are better because you have less muzzzle climb. What if you use the 9mm Plus P ammo or the Plus Plus P ammo. I don't know.
JrKrup, Skimmer
Posted 2009-09-24 11:09 AM (#31135 - in reply to #31130)

Master and Commander

The big difference is that the Thompson Sub Machine gun shoots a 250 grain bullet that is .452" diameter at about 750 FPS, as opposed to a 125 grain bullet that is .355" diameter at 1100 FPS.

The reason the .45ACP came into existance in the first place is that the old .38 S&W that it replaced (125 Grain .357" diameter at 900 FPS) couldn't stop a man who was high on narcotics, and had their limbs bound to stop blood flow. (This was in the Philippines prior to to the turn of the 19th century.) They could be shot multiple times and would still advance as though they weren't shot at all. The old .38 S&W didn't have the "knock-down" power that the .45ACP did.

The Thompson Sub Machine gun shoots the same .45ACP cartridge as does the M1911 service pistol.
Sewer Pipe Snipe
Posted 2009-09-25 1:44 AM (#31151 - in reply to #31025)
Master and Commander

A lot of 9mm submachine gun ammo is loaded too hot for most handguns. Be careful what you get, especially European 9 mm ammo. It is maked, but not always in English.
Smiley
Posted 2009-09-25 9:07 AM (#31157 - in reply to #31025)
Great Sage of the Sea

We had Thompsons and M1s on all 3 boats I was on.
Being the rogue roughneck I was back then my "repel boarders station" was Belaying Pin topside.. Later when I went to nukes and we no longer had belaying pins I was upgraded to Bayonet topside. Shimmer me hemroids arrrrrgh!

The Thompson was like spitting lead instead of aiming.. I remember it wanting to "walk" up to the right when firing a longer burst. Gee I wondered Sgt. Sanders on Combat one handed that thing to great effect... Vic Morrel what a man he was eh? A clip gone in 5 secounds.. zip...

Edited by Smiley 2009-09-25 9:08 AM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software