Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: "They weren't just hull numbers, they were our home addresses. Now the old neighborhood is torn down and gone and all that is left are memories." -- Dick Murphy, USS Tiru SS 416
Final Patrol Orders: Dave Harnish
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Donald L. Johnson
Posted 2009-09-20 9:31 PM (#31029)

Great Sage of the Sea

Subject: Final Patrol Orders: Dave Harnish

Some of you will have already heard this, but many may not have.

This is a composite of three emails I had waiting when I returned from the FRA Branch in Lemoore this evening.

Bon voyage, Shipmate Dave. Sailor, Rest Your Oars.

=============

Shipmates & Ladies:

I regret to inform you that our shipmate, Dave Harnish, Past Western Region Director, was killed last night (Saturday 19 Sept) while riding his motorcycle. He was hit broadside by an 18 year old girl who ran a red light at an intersection around 9 PM. Dave was declared dead at the scene.

A memorial service for Dave is being planned by the Arizona subvets, but details are still not set. I will keep you all posted as best I can.

Please keep Dave's daughters in your thoughts and prayers. With the passing of their mother not so long ago and now this, they have had a pretty tough couple of years.

Blue from West Oz
Posted 2009-09-20 9:36 PM (#31030 - in reply to #31029)

Master and Commander

Subject: RE: Final Patrol Orders: Dave Harnish

Tragic event....so sorry to hear although I did not know him.

Although I don't know the circumstances, I kind of feel for the 18yr old girl.....unless she was drinking.

I have in my lifetime, gone through a red light....was distracted by my daughter ( when she was about 6 and was asking me questions ) and I'saw' a green light....that was actually a green arrow to the left lane...I went straight ahead but luckily for me, no cars or bikes to hit.

That scared the living daylights out of me for sure!

My thoughts and best wishes to Dave's family.

Blue *_*
PatH
Posted 2009-09-21 8:14 AM (#31052 - in reply to #31029)

Great Sage of the Sea

I believe this news report bears on Dave's death.

PHOENIX -- Police say a man riding a motorcycle near 67th Avenue and Indian School Road was hit and killed by another driver.

It happened around 9:30 Saturday night.

Police say the suspect, driving a Dodge passenger car, ran a red light and hit the motorcyclist.

Police say the driver was arrested for driving under the influence of drugs.
The accident is under investigation.

The identities of the victim and suspect have not been released.

Donald L. Johnson
Posted 2009-09-21 11:54 AM (#31064 - in reply to #31029)

Great Sage of the Sea

Sounds like the one.

That girl made a serious error in judgement, and no matter what happens in court, she's pay for it for the rest of her life.
Park Dallis
Posted 2009-09-21 2:49 PM (#31068 - in reply to #31029)

Old Salt

That's 2 serious motorcycle accidents involving members of our community in the last couple of weeks.

You guys be careful out there.
Skii
Posted 2009-09-21 3:24 PM (#31069 - in reply to #31029)

Great Sage of the Sea

The USS STERLETSS392 ASSOCIATION offer our prayers and comfort to the Harnish family. He was a wonderful shipmate and friend. I remember his coming up to the Navajo County Park in Overgaard, AZ when we started our White Mountain Chaper Base and sat with us all weekend to let the Community know the USSVI was there supporting us.

Just a wonderful man and shipmate - "Sailor Rest Your Oars"

Dick Jarenski
Cdr USS STERLET SS392 Association
fritz
Posted 2009-09-21 8:13 PM (#31076 - in reply to #31029)

Crew

I also posted these comments on Rontini's BBS:

Hearing this news from Carl, KG0HS, yesterday really sat me down in my chair. Dave and I had a very nice visit here a couple of years ago when he was visiting family in the area of Lake County (Near Cleveland Ohio). I had seen his name posted in a number of USSVI emails received and passed on by our Cod Base. I sent him an email requesting some information about him. He responded quite quickly to my request. His answers were: "Yes he did go to East Clark Elementary and Collinwood High Schools starting in the mid-to-late 1940's, and he lived in the appartment building on the corner of Nell & East 143th Street." We attend those schools together for a number of years until his family moved out of that area when he was in the 10th or 11th grade.
Dave was a super guy back then and a good friend!
A few months ago I ran into one of his brothers while attending a ham radio club meeting at one of the Metro Parks. He saw my subVets hat and called me by name, which surprised the heck out of me! He volunteers at the Metro Park and it has a miniature rail road set up with tracks and trains going over a good piece of the property. Said that Dave was going to be back here for a visit and was looking forward to us getting together again. That isn't possible now.
Rest in peace Dave, your watch has been covered down here!

fritz sends >>>>
Don Gentry
Posted 2009-09-23 5:32 PM (#31113 - in reply to #31029)

Admin

I was deeply saddened at this news.  Years ago, Pat Householder said I really needed to meet Dave as we'd hit it off with our love of bikes.  I deeply regret not having that opportunity.

I have asked my fellow national SSMC officers to join me to put together a "In Memory Of" patch to be worn on our club vests as is traditional in most motorcycle clubs. 

I wish Dave endless miles of twisty two-lane roads...

Coyote
Posted 2009-09-23 7:49 PM (#31115 - in reply to #31029)

Master and Commander

So sorry to hear this. It's so tragic when a youngster makes a mistake and kills another. My mom was killed by a teenager who ran a stop sign at high speed and t-boned mom.

It's a terrible feeling to get the word that your mom's gone and in that manner.

I was really angry for a while, but now I've backed off a little and realize the teenager's mistake will stay with her as long as she lives. Now I hope she can go on and live a good life.

I didn't know him, but Harnish is a good name where I come from as well (Wisconsin). RIP, Dave. We have the watch.

The family certainly has my sympathy.

Coyote

Edited by Coyote 2009-09-23 7:50 PM
PatH
Posted 2009-09-23 9:28 PM (#31122 - in reply to #31115)

Great Sage of the Sea

Memorial services for Dave Harnish have been scheduled as follows:

A military memorial service will be conducted at the National Memorial Cemetery of Arizona on Tuesday, September 29, 2009 at 1000.

The address of the National Cemetery is 23029 N. Cave Creek Road, Phoenix AZ 85024.

A religious memorial service will be conducted at the American Lutheran Church, 17200 N. Del Webb Blvd., Sun City AZ 85373 at 1200 with a reception to follow at the church.

Jim Denzien

USSVI Perch Base Commander

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software