Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: "... The Navy's best are found upon; The pigboats black and trim; For men must be of sturdy stuff; To sink and still to swim ..." part of a poem, author unknown
Something I Just heard
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

RCK
Posted 2009-09-21 5:05 PM (#31071)
Master and Commander

Subject: Something I Just heard

Commanders,I don't know which ones, are saying that without a new infusion of troops in Afganistan we will lose the war.
Thomas Courtien
Posted 2009-09-21 5:42 PM (#31072 - in reply to #31071)
Master and Commander

Subject: RE: Something I Just heard

There is definite concern about our strategy in Afganistan.

In my opinion we let this slide too much while busy in Iraq.

Some politicians are saying "no-go" on more troops to stabalize the Taliban areas.

I have my doubts about trying to "save" these countries when they do not seem to care to save themselves.
Box kicker
Posted 2009-09-21 5:45 PM (#31073 - in reply to #31071)

Old Salt

Yeah, wars where we jump in hard and fast we tend to win. Those that we piddle at for a while we tend to lose. But the public is pretty apathetic about wars at this point.
Ralph Luther
Posted 2009-09-21 5:46 PM (#31074 - in reply to #31071)
COMSUBBBS

Keep your powder dry Mates. If we back out of this one too we can expect for someone to try us out.
steamboat
Posted 2009-09-22 9:39 AM (#31086 - in reply to #31074)
Master and Commander

Why did we not concentrate on Afganistan immediatly after 9-11. That is where the terrorists trained and came from. NOT Iraq. Sudam Hussien hate the Al Quita.Perhaps we would , after 8 years , hurt AlQuita so much that they would not have the wherewith all to keep fighting. Instaed we wasted our resources on Iraq, which possed no threat to us AT THAT TIME. Now we are in a quandry about what to do about Afganistan. Personally, I do not think that with the present economic situation, and domestic problems at home, that we can afford what it would take to bring these the ragheads to thier knees. And even if we do kill Bin Ladin and "defaet" Al Quida, the fight will merely shift to another country such as Pakistan or Far East. Like it or not it seems to become a religeous war, as long as the Mullas are preaching hate and jehad, we will be killing Musleums.There is no light at the end of the tunnel as far as I am concerned.
Steamboat sends
PatH
Posted 2009-09-22 10:57 AM (#31089 - in reply to #31071)

Great Sage of the Sea

The real fight is within Islam, regarding the future direction of that religion, similar to the Christian wars over reformation of the church.  Will the moderate islamics overcome the radicals?  There are broad signs this is starting to happen around the world, but the question is still in doubt.  We in the west need to support and encourage those moderate islamics to defeat their radical component.  It is a long and bloody fight, no matter how you look at it, or where it occurs.
Smiley
Posted 2009-09-22 12:04 PM (#31091 - in reply to #31071)
Great Sage of the Sea

RCK - 2009-09-21 8:05 PM

Commanders,I don't know which ones, are saying that without a new infusion of troops in Afganistan we will lose the war.

No need to worry or Sec of State says ("respectfully") they don't know what they're talking about.. I'm so glad we have such a bright Sec of State..Must be all that military training she has eh?
Donald L. Johnson
Posted 2009-09-22 12:48 PM (#31092 - in reply to #31071)

Great Sage of the Sea

NBC News reported that the report was written for the President by LtGen McCaskey (sp?), Army Commander in Afghanistan. He called for more troops to fight the Taliban, but also noted that Afghan government corruption was their second biggest problem.

Given a choice between the General on the Scene and the Secretary of State (not SecDef), who you gonna believe?

dex armstrong
Posted 2009-09-23 2:39 AM (#31102 - in reply to #31071)

COMSUBBBS

Pat is right. The central thread in this whole thing is radical Islam. Of course there are variations of Islam, just as there are many versions of every faith, but this multi-national effort to destroy us is organized, fanancially fuelled by, manned by, propagandized by, and directed by Islamic fanatacism. Our values of "live and let live" attitude with respect to the open practice of multi-cultural belief and religious freedom are not universally shared. For years the inability of less tolerant nations to spread their predudice, hatred and violence was based on their inability to travel...But universal air travel and Arab oil control has led to giving the ability Islamic extremists to go anywhere they want to go to travel. And the stranglehold they have on the oil the entire world needs, allows this Moslem fanatics to finance damn near anything they want to do. Everytime you fill up your tank you are financing the war against the non-Islamic world...not only us. Radical Islam wants to spread their brand of thought throughout the world. When you grew up how many Moslems did you see around you?...I never saw a mosque or ran into any women covered head to toe, peeping out of a slit the size of a stick of gum, wandering around in my local grocery store. We have had a number of mosques and Islamic schools in the D.C area raided and found networks of terrorist funding, internal recruiting mechanisms for terrorists and textbooks planting anti-American ideals in the youngsters going to their madras style schools. State educational standards and graduation requirements don't apply to these viper dens, because of our strong belief in religious freedom. Every terrorist sleeper cell we unearth has ties to the now prolific network of Moslem clerics and their houses of worship or religious academies. We are now breeding this deadly fanaticism right here in our own backyard. We will never do it, but we'd be one helluvalot safer if we rounded up all of them and parachuted them into Cuba, North Korea, and North Viet-Nam...(just joking). But we could stop their wholesale migration into this country...Our fear, oil strangulation...the ever present blackmail threat of cutting us off from the blood lifeline of our dependence on a petroleum based transport system. They are crushing the world economy with gouging us for the purchase of crude...If they weren't sitting on their massive oil reserves they would still be parked in tents, eating dates and barbequed goat, riding their camels and abusing their women folk. Oil, plainly and clearly is fuelling this ignorant malignancy. Another thing, since the Greatest Generation declared War in the early 40's and we mobilized and shot up everything that moved above ground in enemy territory, rained hell and destruction from above, delivered in massive air drops and delivered naval destruction on anything that floated and belonged to the nations against us...We didn't have terms like "collateral damage","enemy combatants","civilian casualties","safe havens"...that have been coined by well meaning gentle people in an attempt to seperate the fly poop from the pepper, we have become a weak and vulnerable people. Case in point, we've been fighting these animals for longer than we fought anyone in our history...We've filled barbwired locations, full of the sonuvabitches...we're feeding more of the bastards than all the New York soup kitchen's are feeding the "down and out". How many have we slammed up against a wall and turned into instant Islamic saints? How many of these corrosive cockroaches have we Orkin'ed? If you had a copperhead nest in your backyard, you would do your best to eliminate the entire crop of the bastards to stop the breeding and future snake production, yet we have yet to decide on a mechanism to start the conveyor belt that will lead to sending these vermin off to hell in a firey flash. We need to quit feeding them...giving them prayer time...better medical attention than our own people get...media access...physical fitness equipment...We need to put them in a roofless pit and start feeding them the contents of the "edible garbage" dumpsters on submarine piers. (just kidding)...Seriously, we need to begin to see this for what it is...a religious assault on us as a people, simply because of our support of Isreal...waged on us supported by obscene oil profits and directed by people who stone women to death, strap on explosives and blow themselves up in the name of Allah, brainwash their children with a deluge of anti-Western propaganda...teach hatred and destruction of Christians and execute anyone converting to anything but Islam....kill women and children in indescriminate bombings for the "love of Allah"...Folks, all of them view this effort to crush us as a religious,idealogical crusade...a HOLY WAR...We seem to be blind to what Householder has pointed out to us...folks we have to dump all of our tolerance and sensibility and recognize this for what it is...Islam against Christianity...we keep showing up with community based reconstruction and nation building projects, throwing American tax dollers into Islamic heroin trade supporting cesspools, who breed folks that hate us...We've run up a debt larger than the percentage of the GNP that has destroyed lesser nations...we have let these worthless bastards sap or national energy and weaken us. What strategy should we employ?...Declare war on every nation that seeks to do us harm...Attack and takeover the oil fields and set up an international commission to operate them in the world interest and eliminate the mechanism that is fuelling and financing our destruction. Start employing the level of wholesale geographic destruction we levelled on Germany and Japan...when people get tired of burying their dead, and trying to find food and shelter and are wading knee deep in rats and wild dogs, their capacity for evil thoughts rapidly diminishes. Next we should round up the Middle-Eastern folks and return them to the lands where Mohammed actually hung out, and return their ability to wear wornout sandles and go around with dirty ankles and twenty yards of cloth wrapped around their heads...Where they can wrap their women from head to toe, lock em up. keep them from driving, wearing colorful clothes and buying lipstick...have sex with them without consent...and beat hell out of them behind closed doors whenever the mood strikes them. We should start executing men and women discovered in this country clearly plotting to do us harm...just shoot them....You say, but Dex there may be some who are innocent...Sure, there may be mistakes but in WWII there was an expression used to answer the question,"What about people in those cities we levelled with air delivered high explosives, who were just innocent Germans who just got caught up in the war?"...Answer, "You can't bake a cake without breaking a few eggs." Churchill once asked Air Marshal "Bomber" Harris..."When do you think the war will end?" "Sir, It will end when the German people get sick and tired of burying their family members, collecting bricks and trying to rebuild only to see us rebomb...When they get tired of walking everywhere because we have destroyed their transportation system...When there is the desire for peace that is greater than the humilation that will come with it in a post war environment." (not an exact quote, but based on recollections taken from Winston's post war writing.). We need to start visiting a level of unacceptable pain on those against us until the general population of the Islamic world recognizes that until they start handing over their out-of-control fanatics, the pain and discomfort will go on and on. In short, we need to get off our butts, get tough...get serious and TAKE THE INITIATIVE. Pat, Thanks for saying what needed saying...We've pussyfooted around the vicious sonuvabitches far longer than we should have. DEX
Tom McNulty
Posted 2009-09-23 6:16 AM (#31103 - in reply to #31086)

Master and Commander

I believe we went after Iraq because we knew it would not be successful in Afghanistan. We had to show the world we can respond to a terrroristic act. Iraq was easy in 1991 so why not again. Now we are mired down in a place that the Russians tried for years to conquer. I hear it's said we are not there to conquer but to stabilize the governement, albeit in our favor. Do they want stabilization? I think the jury is still out on that one. And you're right, cut off the head and they will grow a new one someplace else. Thousands of years of history proves that. The problem is now that we are engaged how do we get out without losing faith and credibility. I don't think we can.
Corabelle
Posted 2009-09-23 9:54 AM (#31104 - in reply to #31103)

COMSUBBBS

A friend of mine said that if all us old farts go to war instead of our youngest and best, several things will happen. The war will be short, on accounta we (the farts) will all be killed. No loss, since our time on earth is already limited. But, because we tried, even if we lose, we will 'save face,' which seems more important to some then saving the lives of our young people.

Simplistic? Probably. Will it work? We won't know until we try.

Cora
RCK
Posted 2009-09-23 10:30 AM (#31105 - in reply to #31104)
Master and Commander

Well, I'll lend ye me smooth bore musket and me lead round ball ammo with me powder horn to boot and I be awaitin here to see how ye do over there!!!
Bear
Posted 2009-09-23 12:00 PM (#31107 - in reply to #31071)

Great Sage of the Sea

Yeah know there are many days where I am so dang tired PERIOD of all the BS that I would gladly go on active duty for what it is worth and it would be just like my attitude towards street thrugs on those days it is give it your best shot jack ass you might get me but I am going to hurt you real Bad in the process And the BS I am referring to is not specifically the war it is everything the Health Care issue, the Economy, Racial issuse, political correctness and so on
Smiley
Posted 2009-09-23 1:40 PM (#31111 - in reply to #31104)
Great Sage of the Sea

Corabelle - 2009-09-23 12:54 PM

A friend of mine said that if all us old farts go to war instead of our youngest and best, several things will happen. The war will be short, on accounta we (the farts) will all be killed. No loss, since our time on earth is already limited. But, because we tried, even if we lose, we will 'save face,' which seems more important to some then saving the lives of our young people.

Simplistic? Probably. Will it work? We won't know until we try.

Cora

Hi Cora... I have another idea....
We enlist ( or draft if you will?) all the kids of our politicians into this War.. You'll see it end in a week. It's always easier to gamble with someone else's money..
Corabelle
Posted 2009-09-24 11:53 AM (#31137 - in reply to #31111)

COMSUBBBS

Walt - that is a better idea!

I'll drink to that!

And, Bob - I already have some kind of black powder gun. Have no idea how it works, but I'm a quick learner. Also have my husband's service pistol. I'ts a Colt 357. Heavy little revolver. And I have access to the old single shot (shoot & reload) 45-70 that my father carried during the Spanish-American War. Understand that one has a little kick. I'll need someone to carry that one for me.

Aren't you going with us?

Cora

Edited by Corabelle 2009-09-24 11:54 AM
RCK
Posted 2009-09-24 12:21 PM (#31139 - in reply to #31137)
Master and Commander

Aren't you going with us?

Cora

I'll be the noisey one in the line,but if we happen to pass a pub on the way.....well you'll know where to find me!!!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software