Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: Records for enemy shipping sunk by U.S. submarines during World War II are held by two boats built by Electric Boat. The USS FLASHER sank 100,231 tons of Japanese shipping, while the USS TAUTOG holds the record for the most ships - 26.
Pirates made a boo boo
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Land Lubber
Posted 2009-10-07 4:53 PM (#31388)
Old Salt

Subject: Pirates made a boo boo

I just saw this. Kind of funny. Can you say opps?

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5gBTHkS0pEerD_vOgasyE3biNyDBQ

Take Care,
Steve
Chew
Posted 2009-10-08 6:24 AM (#31391 - in reply to #31388)

Mess cooking

Subject: RE: Pirates made a boo boo

What was even funnier, one boat of pirates got away and the one captured had no evidence left onboard. Also the article never mentioned anyone getting hurt. I don't know which side to laugh at more.

Bob
steamboat
Posted 2009-10-08 11:13 AM (#31392 - in reply to #31388)
Master and Commander

What I will never understand is that if these yahoos fire on ships, why we don't just use overwhelming force to send them back to Allah. You can bet your a** if someone fires on a cop in this country that they will be mowed down. So what is so different about law enforcement on the open seas? I know the various Navies involved cannot agree on who or where to try them in courts, so why not just shortstop that issue and take care of businees when it happens. You can bet your ditty that if someone fires on me that I will fire back.
Steamboat sends
Stoops
Posted 2009-10-08 12:15 PM (#31393 - in reply to #31392)
Master and Commander

It wouldn't bother me to see a picture of those captured hanging from the yardarms.
Park Dallis
Posted 2009-10-08 12:15 PM (#31394 - in reply to #31392)

Old Salt

steamboat - 2009-10-08 10:13 AMWhat I will never understand is that if these yahoos fire on ships, why we don't just use overwhelming force to send them back to Allah. You can bet your a** if someone fires on a cop in this country that they will be mowed down. So what is so different about law enforcement on the open seas? I know the various Navies involved cannot agree on who or where to try them in courts, so why not just shortstop that issue and take care of businees when it happens. You can bet your ditty that if someone fires on me that I will fire back.Steamboat sends

Well there may be innocents aboard...
chiefjoe
Posted 2009-10-08 12:19 PM (#31396 - in reply to #31388)
Senior Crew

One of the problems frequently cited is the area to cover. Frequently when an attack takes place the steaming time may be hours from the nearest combat capable vessel. At the risk of being branded a "HAWK", can you imagine if a few predators were flying in the area, minutes to the incident and a weapon to decide the outcome at the ready. While it might not be able to keep one aloft at all times, just a few decisive incidents might reduce the problem. There are some drones with loiter time and armament which might give constant coverage. I would expect the costs would compare favorably with the operating costs of ships and as mentioned above, the legal problems would never be a thought. The only story would be that of the victim (and what ever footage the controllers decide to release.
OK I admit it; I think I might be a "HAWK."

Chiefjoe
John396
Posted 2009-10-09 10:00 AM (#31422 - in reply to #31388)
Old Salt

Im surprised the frogs didn't surrender at the begining. John396
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software