Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: USS SKATE and USS SEADRAGON, after affecting a historic rendezvous under the ice, surfaced together at the North Pole through an opening in the ice on August 1962. What really happened: We didn't surface together, Skate surfaced first. Then we (Seadragon) fired yellow flares forward and aft so Skate could tell us how we were lined up. Remember, under-ice was primitive in these days. Skate called back down rapidly that one flare surfaced on her starboard side and the other to port. She requested we reposition before vertical surfacing. We did. - Coyote (Owen Carlson)
May I introduce....
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

GaryKC
Posted 2009-10-10 3:31 PM (#31474)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: May I introduce....

I had the honor of meeting Paul and Blanche Casavant 2 weeks ago in Groton. They had traveled by train from their home in Florida to attend our USS Tusk reunion. Paul joined the navy in December 1941 went to boot camp in Newport, RI, graduated Sub School and made 9 patrols on the Narwhal (SS167) and Gabilan (SS252). Including WWII, Paul served on 8 boats (Tusk 1947-51, onboard during the Cochino crew rescue) and the Shangrela (CVA 38) retiring in 1969. He made EMC(SS) 3 months before I was born. Folks, while I've been working on the Tusk website I've had the pleasure of corresponding with a few WWII submarine veterans, this was the first time I actually got to shake one's hand. I'll never forget it.

LADIES AND GENTLEMEN, BLANCHE AND PAUL LEO CASAVANT EMC(SS) Ret.

Edited by GaryKC 2009-10-10 5:22 PM

(casavant.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments casavant.jpg (69KB - 454 downloads)
Ric
Posted 2009-10-10 5:13 PM (#31480 - in reply to #31474)

Plankowner

Subject: RE: May I introduce....

Pretty cool isn't it! I feel honored to just be around these guys. I didn't really appreciate it while I was on active duty and sailed with a few of these guys.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software