Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: "THAT'S NICE THAT THE ELECTRICIAN AND A-GANGERS WORKED ALL NIGHT TO GET THE DIESEL GENERATOR READY, BUT WE'RE NOT GETTING UNDERWAY UNTIL EVERY TOASTER IN THE WARDROOM PANTRY IS WORKING" quoted during Tautog's DustPac '85-86 Deployment
English Naval Officer's Uniform
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

RCK
Posted 2009-10-14 9:09 AM (#31567)
Master and Commander

Subject: English Naval Officer's Uniform

I was watching a program ( now I was watching the program on T.V. I wasn't listeneing on radio nor was it a live performance) The program was about the English Navy. On the program was a modern English officer dressed in a current naval officer's uniform. There were several things that I hadn't noticed before. The ribbons that adorned his jacket were over the left shoulder up high rather than over the left pocket like American officers and enlisted men wear today. I also noted that he had an epaulette over the right shoulder and none on the left shoulder. He had golden braid over his right shoulder. Now the braid may have represented that he was an admirals aide and not part of the standard offficer's uniform.
Blue from West Oz
Posted 2009-10-14 4:51 PM (#31579 - in reply to #31567)

Master and Commander

Subject: RE: English Naval Officer's Uniform

Not sure why he would not be wearing an SRI ( soft rank insignia ) on his left shoulder.....note: an epaulette is actually the 'flappy bit' that is attached to the shirt and the SRI is what you wear to denote your rank,attached to the epaulette.

The wearing of medals on your dress unifrom...I was always instructed ( and followed ) that the top of your medal(s) is positioned at one hand's width from your collar bone. I always wore mine in that manner and was NEVER picked up on parade for having them in the wrong position.
For ribbons, you are to wear them 5 mm above the shirt pocket. ( I remember the exactness of that, but not for medals )

The above information, if anyone is disputing what I said, is of course for the Aussie Navy which in all reality, fashioned themselves from the RN.

Blue *_*
iPOD
Posted 2009-10-14 9:19 PM (#31590 - in reply to #31567)

Master and Commander

Mate here is a link to the RN Officers uniform which is interactive so it should explain the positioning of the ribbons etc.

http://www.seayourhistory.org.uk/content/view/641/809/

Here's a good photo of a Commodore (1 Star Lower Half) with ribbons, braid and single epulette (sp?) and LCDR with medals, different versions of Dress Uniform.

http://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/operations-and-support/royal-naval-reserve/training-centres/hms-president-london/photo-gallery/*/changeNav/00h00100600c00a006/imageIndex/32/

Hope this helps.

Edited by iPOD 2009-10-14 9:43 PM
Ric
Posted 2009-10-14 10:28 PM (#31591 - in reply to #31590)

Plankowner

Very interesting
JrKrup, Skimmer
Posted 2009-10-15 12:08 PM (#31597 - in reply to #31591)

Master and Commander

On the officer's sleeve in the RN, as in the USN, the stripes indicate rank. The RN also has a circle above the uppermost stripe. The stripes are straight and the circle is even or concentric.

I have seen stripes on RN uniforms that are wavy, and the circle is not even, not concentric. What does THIS mean?
Ric
Posted 2009-10-15 12:59 PM (#31601 - in reply to #31597)

Plankowner

Subject: (waves hand in air) I know, I know.....

Called the "wavey navy" better know in the US as the "Reserves"
Blue from West Oz
Posted 2009-10-15 3:29 PM (#31603 - in reply to #31601)

Master and Commander

Subject: Not sure that is correct.....

....Ric, the Reserves in the RAN do not have any difference to the uniform than our Regulars.

The 'wavey stripes' are for the Merchant Navy.......to the best of my knowledge. I have never seen a R.A.N. Reserve Officer with 'wavey stripes'

Chers

Blue *_*
Blue from West Oz
Posted 2009-10-15 4:04 PM (#31604 - in reply to #31603)

Master and Commander

Subject: a link to Ranks of the Royal Naval Reserve.....

http://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/operations-and-support/royal-naval-reserve/introduction-to-the-rnr/rnr-badges-of-rank/

This link is for the RN ( not the RAN ) as that was the navy in question re, 'wavey navy' stripes.

Blue *_*
Ric
Posted 2009-10-15 6:44 PM (#31608 - in reply to #31604)

Plankowner

Subject: RE: a link to Ranks of the Royal Naval Reserve.....

Hmmm check this out.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Naval_Reserve

"During World War II no more ratings were accepted into the RNVR which then became the main route for wartime officer entry. The service was called the "Wavy Navy" after the wavy sleeve stripes that RNVR officers wore to differentiate them from RN/RNR officers. These have since been replaced by the straight rank lacing used in the full-time RN, with the addition of a small 'R' in the centre of the executive curl, which has been discontinued for all other than honorary officers from 30 November 2007."
Flapper
Posted 2009-10-15 10:27 PM (#31610 - in reply to #31567)

Master and Commander

From the link POD provided, I noted this shot of the First Sea Lord (= USN CNO?) and another flag rank in dinner dress. As you can see the braid doesn't mean 'someone's aide' as it does on our side of the pond.

iPOD
Posted 2009-10-15 11:13 PM (#31611 - in reply to #31610)

Master and Commander

Flapper - 2009-10-16 12:27 PM

From the link POD provided, I noted this shot of the First Sea Lord (= USN CNO?) and another flag rank in dinner dress. As you can see the braid doesn't mean 'someone's aide' as it does on our side of the pond.

Flapper the Admirals "Flag Lieutenant" or Aide will also wear the Braid in Dress Uniform.
Blue from West Oz
Posted 2009-10-16 3:01 AM (#31618 - in reply to #31610)

Master and Commander

Subject: 'First Sea Lord's and other Admirals', by Blue *_*

Flapper - 2009-10-16 12:27 PM

A few times during my career, I have gone up to a Pommy 1st Sea Lord and introduced myself as 'Blue'...whilst in uniform and usually after a few drinks! lol
One ANZAC Day, I did the above and invited him down to my sub the next day as I was duty. During the course of the day, I eventuially remembered what I had done....I decided I best see the Duty Officer and inform him of my invitation....after he recomposed himself, it was a matter of keeping a sharp lookout just in case he turned up, he didn't. Maybe he himself had a few drinks and had forgotten my invitation? lol

I also went up to one of your Admirals when I was in Hawaii in 1982, introduced myself, much to the horror of the American submariner I was with at the time....the Admiral was alright with it...probably impressed that some Aussie would come up and say "G'day".

I waved hello to one of ours as his car went by. I was eating a hamburger and leaning on the car.......it was only when he went past me that it dawned on me that when an Admirals car goes by with his flag flying and lights on that you are supposed to snap to attention and salute.....I beat a hasty retreat ASAP just in case some skimmer Chief Cox'n had witnessed this and was going to tear me a new...well, you know what.

"You get that" as they say....

Blue *_*
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software