Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: "Submariners are a bunch of intelligent misfits that somehow seem to get along, understand each other and work well together.” -- Red Hanley who overheard a skimmer officer say this while talking to a non-navy type
As Rose on The Golden Girls said, "Can I ask a dumb question?"
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Corabelle
Posted 2009-10-24 5:08 PM (#31754)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: As Rose on The Golden Girls said, "Can I ask a dumb question?"

When torpedoes were loaded into the tubes, were they lifted strictly by 'manpower,' or was there some type of crane?

I'm looking at a picture of the torpedo tubes on the Batfish, and they look as though they're about shoulder high, and I'm sure the torpedoes were very heavy.

I know..."and she's writing a submarine book?"

Cora
BlackBeard
Posted 2009-10-24 5:21 PM (#31755 - in reply to #31754)

Great Sage of the Sea

Subject: RE: As Rose on The Golden Girls said, "Can I ask a dumb question?"

In the old days, chains, hoists, come-alongs. In my time hydraulic rams and rollers. Lots of muscle still needed which is why TM's were recruited from the gorilla cage at the San Diego zoo.
Now days? They probably levitate them with their minds! I've heard rumors of a rotary loader but never seen it (like the cylinder on a revolver pistol.)

BB
Ralph Luther
Posted 2009-10-24 5:34 PM (#31757 - in reply to #31754)
COMSUBBBS

When torpedoes were loaded onto or into a DB they were placed on "skids". These skids held one torpedo each and the skid was what you might refer to as a tray. These skids had rollers in them that would allow the torpedo to be moved forward or back on the skid and the skid had rollers from side to side so the skid could be shifted across the torpedo room on rails. Torpedoes, depending on the type weighed thousands of pounds plus the skid they were on so chain hoists had to be used to place the skid at the torpedo muzzle door. A block and tackle was rigged to move the torpedo into the tube. There were rollers in the tube "floor" to support the torpedo as it moved into the tube. The clearance between the torpedo and the tube wall was very close so positioning on the skid was very important.
Hope this helps.
Where have you been hiding? Haven't seen you around lately. We took real good care of Dex at the reunion. He was a very good boy and minded his manners right nice like. He even said, "yes Mamm and No Mamm" to the waitress' and used his knapkin when he belched.
Ric
Posted 2009-10-24 5:53 PM (#31758 - in reply to #31754)

Plankowner

In the really old boats they were lifted into position using chain-falls. Since the later "S" class boats the torpedoes were maneuvered into position by sliding the reload torpedoes on their storage skids resting on "rails" rigged athwartships in the torpedo room. If needed the torpedo can be lifted with the chain-falls from one level to another and placed on an empty skid. Once the torpedo in placed in front of the torpedo tube it is locked into position using pins and predrilled holes so everything will line up. WW II era and the old diesel boats used a block and tackle to get the fish into the tubes. The newer boats load the tubes using hydraulic rams.
Boy Throttleman
Posted 2009-10-25 5:44 AM (#31762 - in reply to #31755)

Old Salt

BlackBeard - 2009-10-24 6:21 PM

In the old days, chains, hoists, come-alongs. In my time hydraulic rams and rollers. Lots of muscle still needed which is why TM's were recruited from the gorilla cage at the San Diego zoo.
Now days? They probably levitate them with their minds! I've heard rumors of a rotary loader but never seen it (like the cylinder on a revolver pistol.)

BB

I always wondered why this skinny snipe ended up on the mine reload crew in the ATR.
Laying a mine field was WORK. Only did it once but that was enough.
steamboat
Posted 2009-10-25 6:13 AM (#31764 - in reply to #31754)
Master and Commander

Cora, what the preceeding non-TM types left out (or perhaps didn't know) is that when the fish was pulled into the tube with a come-along (and that could be a chore on its own depending upon the angle of the boat, or on the surface in anything but calm seas), the last couple feet was manuvered by 2 TM's back to back, the first with his feet on the rear of the fish and the 2nd back to back with him adding leverage. The fish had to be positioned exactly in the tube to align the firing lever on the fish. No small chore, but us superior rate master TORPEDOMEN MATES could handel it deftly then continue on with mre important jobs like cleaning our finger nails and straining the pink lady for the evenings night-cap.
Steamboat (TM2 SS) sends
Ralph Luther
Posted 2009-10-25 11:22 AM (#31772 - in reply to #31764)
COMSUBBBS

Yeah sure John sure!! That's why you had to have other rates in there to help you guys. Other rates had to be in the torpedo rooms, Cora, because we didn't want them to forget how to do it or do it right. We had to watch those TMs very close so they wouldn't hurt themselves...don't cha know.
BlackBeard
Posted 2009-10-25 3:43 PM (#31775 - in reply to #31754)

Great Sage of the Sea

Granted when other rates helped them it was usually a safety issue, like cleaning up all the banana peels the TM's had left on the deck... Wouldn't want them slipping around while handling those torpedos.

BB
Ric
Posted 2009-10-25 3:56 PM (#31776 - in reply to #31775)

Plankowner

I thought it was to put bandaids on their knuckles for them.....
BlackBeard
Posted 2009-10-25 4:37 PM (#31779 - in reply to #31754)

Great Sage of the Sea

Only if there was non-skid on the deck...

BB
dex armstrong
Posted 2009-10-26 12:06 PM (#31791 - in reply to #31754)

COMSUBBBS

Corabelle, First you have a good friend in Ralph Luther, who's a man well worth having as a friend. We both had a wonderful conversatiohn about you. As I say, you can write the damn rapscallion down in your "respected friend" book. Next, When the torpedo loading hatch is opened and the section of the deck is opened to allow the fish to (Cora the term "fish" is interchangable with "torpedo") When the hatch is opened that section on the deck is hinged with the underside being grooved and becoming a tray guiding a torpedo (my day we shot MK 14's,MK 16's MK 27's and MK 37's most of it left over WWII crap but highly dependable) So an overhead crane usually located on your tender (mother ship) or on a folling pier crane, would lift the fish...that had either a nose hole or in the event its' warhead wasn't designed to have a nose hole...it had to to be temporarily fitted with a detachable nose cap that would allow a vang line to be fastened to the fish...The fish was taken from the torpedo trolley on which it was delivered to the pier by attaching a heavy duty cable to what was called a belly band and lifting it from the trolley. Once it became elevated it was like one and a half ton teeter-totter with the belly band as its' center of balance. The vang line allowed the swinging free fish to be lined up with grooved tray that in turn was lined up with a correspondingly simularly grooved tray known as a "torpedo skid" that had been elevated to the same angle as the folded back deck tray to allow the fish to slide into Forward Room (FTR Forward Torpedo Room) at the proper angle for acceptance by the rooms elevated storage skid. (To be continued)
steamboat
Posted 2009-10-26 12:32 PM (#31792 - in reply to #31791)
Master and Commander

Dex, you forgot to hook up the 2 snubbers to the nose cone and wrap the other ends around the cleats of the loading tray to gently lower the fish into the room until it cleared the loading tray and was entirely onto the waiting skid, whereupon expert TORPEDOMEN MATES would in turn lower the skid level into the room, to be placed in desired location for storage, or loaded directly into a tube. This precise ballet could only be performed by a qualified TORPEDOMAN MATE. All other rates can only standby in awe of this TORPEDOMAN'S MATE ritual.
Steamboat sends
Ralph Luther
Posted 2009-10-26 6:26 PM (#31793 - in reply to #31792)
COMSUBBBS

Oh man......... it's gonna get deep here any minute....get your hip boots on....Dex and Steamboat are gettin warmed up.
BlackBeard
Posted 2009-10-26 10:39 PM (#31803 - in reply to #31754)

Great Sage of the Sea

Steamboat with a bottle of lambrusco and a couple sawbucks in the waist of his crackerjacks and Dex with a rose in his teeth? Is that what you mean? *shudder*

BB
Ralph Luther
Posted 2009-10-27 4:55 AM (#31811 - in reply to #31803)
COMSUBBBS

Close...very close.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software