Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: How long will it take the average sailor to become a submariner? The average sailor will never become a submariner.
Scuba divers
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

John396
Posted 2009-10-26 10:21 AM (#31788)
Old Salt

Subject: Scuba divers

Two TMs were having a bs session when one asked, did you ever notice when scuba divers go into the water they go backwords. The other TM said of course, if they were to go forward they'd still be in the F*^%n boat.
TSpoon
Posted 2009-10-26 10:52 AM (#31789 - in reply to #31788)
Great Sage of the Sea

Subject: RE: Scuba divers

In Key West the SCUBA or Underwater dive school students would be returning from their morning 5 mile or so run about the same time we were getting up, 0600 rings a bell, and they would be yelling cadence as they passed the Sub barracks much to our annoyance and hang overs. Of sourse we yelled sweet nothings back at them along with empty beer cans. Glad they never stopped because we would have been forced to challenge them and gotten ur collective hung over butts kicked.

I think they enjoyed yelling as they seemed to do it a lot around us.lol

One day they were making water entries off the end of pier 3 in full SCUBA gear. One of them splashed water on the topside watch and the instructor made all of them do a million pushups in their gear. Only time I felt sorry for them, but only a little. The instructor said it wasn't for getting the topside watch wet but for making such a big splash, they were supposed to be clandestine in their entry.

Key West was a very fun place in the 1960's.

T.Spoon, DBF
Ralph Luther
Posted 2009-10-26 6:34 PM (#31794 - in reply to #31789)
COMSUBBBS

Having been thru that school in '66 they did have some real sadistic instructors there. I can't count the number of times I thought I was going to die before completeing those runs and swims. What I remember for sure were the nights spent at the Acey-Ducey Club. They had the best T-bone steaks I have ever eaten. The ladies there were great also.

Edited by Ralph Luther 2009-10-26 6:35 PM
steamboat
Posted 2009-10-27 4:28 AM (#31809 - in reply to #31789)
Master and Commander

The strongest memory I have about UDT school is them running with a telephone pole on thier sholders.
Wasn't their barracks just inside the gate on the left side by the swimming pool? I remember a number of fights breaking out in that building among themselves.
I also remember when Kennedy came to tour the base, everybody was in their best whites, spit-shined shoes while they were in thier shorts and t shirts.
A tough lot, every one of them. Good thing they didn't hang out at the Gate Bar, I am certain there would have been some permanantly disabled Sub sailors.

Steamboat sends
Don Gentry
Posted 2009-10-28 12:32 AM (#31830 - in reply to #31794)

Admin

I went through it in Groton.  I remember doing a step-off entry from an 18 ft tall pier with twin 80's on my back - I don't recall the splash volume but I was happy to still be able to produce kids after that one!

After graduation, we killed our keg at the Marine EM club and, much to our mistake, hit the beach.  Ended up with two Marines in civilian jail.  I was the senior Navy graduate and my dive buddy was the senior Marine, a LT.  We managed to bail out one of the two in time for the formal graduation ceremony but the other one missed out.  Force Recon marines are an interesting bunch to hang out with.

Sewer Pipe Snipe
Posted 2009-10-28 1:40 PM (#31846 - in reply to #31788)
Master and Commander

Weren't those steps to the Acey - Ducy wonderful things to run up and down singing Wanna Be, Gotta Be, Diver, Diver, Diver. I guess some things are just best forgotten.
crystal
Posted 2009-10-28 1:46 PM (#31848 - in reply to #31788)

Master and Commander

As the oldest member of the Underwater Swim School class, you learn in a hurry to NOT be the last in the group during the morning run!  As long as there was at least one guy lagging you, you were safe for the day...
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software