Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: In a fraction of a second they are projected into eternity and will never possess a final resting home.They have graves without bodies, they are an exceptional breed of people....It is of utmost pride to me to have met these men, those lords that I salute, praise and admire. - Winston Churchill on Clearance Divers September 1944
Another Web icon gone.....
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Ric
Posted 2009-10-26 8:25 PM (#31797)

Plankowner

Subject: Another Web icon gone.....

Bye, bye, GeoCities...

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2354730,00.asp
PaulR
Posted 2009-10-27 6:15 AM (#31813 - in reply to #31797)

Master and Commander

Subject: RE: Another Web icon gone.....

When this was announced back in May, there was some discussion about the USS CUTLASS page that was created by "Big John" Fredricks. 

Not that I knew his well, but we did swap emails at times and did meet at several USSVI functions.  I knew he cared about his page and his shipmates and would have liked to see it continue after his passing.  His page is/was the only one out there as far as I can tell.

Without benefit of login/password info I took it upon myself to copy each of his not-too-many pages, reassemble them (minus a few corrections) and republish them H E R E in the hopes that a CUTLASS vet will take over maintenance.

Any takers?

Edited by PaulR 2009-10-27 6:16 AM
Ric
Posted 2009-10-27 7:17 AM (#31814 - in reply to #31813)

Plankowner

Subject: Big John.

I was driving to work the morning Dave Stoops called me and told me Big John had passed away. Dave was a bit upset since he and Big John were on a work project together and had had dinner the night before. When he didn't meet Dave in the morning Dave went to the room but could get no response and became concerned and had the manager open the door. Apparently on getting back to the room the night before he sat on the bed and had passed away at that time since was still dressed as he had been the night before. Dave called me and asked that I put the word out. I called Ron Martini since I was driving at the time and asked that he pass the word.
RIP Big John.
Thanks for saving his page.
Stoops
Posted 2009-10-27 6:22 PM (#31822 - in reply to #31814)
Master and Commander

Subject: RE: Big John.

Ric is correct....At one point I had access to John's webpages but never put them in a file since he was only a phone call away if he needed help and less than 15 miles if he needed me to work on his PC.

I did save all of his first day covers (which are posted on an album on the USS PERMIT site) which included a bunch of submarine related cachets.
At one time I had all of his cachets for the woman doctor in the civil war (her name has been erased by a good scotch) but I don't think I have those scans anymore.

Most all of Big John's Cutlass and submarine memorabilia which was extensive was donated to a museum in Fredricksburg, TX. I have no idea what happened to the large collection of stuffed ducks that hung from his ceiling in his house in Deer Park.....
Big John was a true to life character for sure...he did not mince words and he said what he meant and meant what he said and if you didn't like it, you could pound sand. But he gave much to USSVI and we're much the richer for it.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software