Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: "I can assure you that they went down fighting and that their brothers who survived them took a grim toll of our savage enemy to avenge their deaths." Admiral Charles Lockwood
HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DOC
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Stoops
Posted 2009-10-28 8:55 AM (#31836)
Master and Commander

Subject: HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DOC

The Detroit Sawbones marks another one up! I'll have a shot of that 12 year old in your honor!
Doc Gardner
Posted 2009-10-28 9:12 AM (#31837 - in reply to #31836)

Master and Commander

Subject: RE: HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DOC

Stoops - 2009-10-28 11:55 AM

The Detroit Sawbones marks another one up! I'll have a shot of that 12 year old in your honor!

Thanks Dave; have two shots and pretend that I'm drinking the other one.
Went to the social security office this morning to get enrolled in MediCare and to find out whether I should start taking my SS benefits in January or wait until next October; now I need to do the math and see which is the better way to go.
But, I'll do that tomorrow; today is for enjoying a nice dinner with my wife and watching the fire department extinguish all the candles on my cake.
Ralph Luther
Posted 2009-10-28 9:54 AM (#31838 - in reply to #31837)
COMSUBBBS

Happy Birthday Fred!!!!!!!! It's a special day here at this hacienda too. Today is my wife Sharon's birthday. How "young" is she? Well, if I said that I'd probably get my arse in a sling. However, she has been to the Social Security Office this past week as you have.
steamboat
Posted 2009-10-28 10:47 AM (#31842 - in reply to #31837)
Master and Commander

Doc, it is seldom benificial to wait until you are fully eligable (67 now I believe) to start drawing on your SS. I took mine at 62 and have not looked back. If your SS rep. was worth a hoot she would have checked the tables for you and told you the difference.
Anywho... Have a good day!!! We don't spend enough time exchanging greetings like B'days, mostly at our age we exchange "get well" or "Condolunce" notices. Nice to talk about the good side of life!!!

Now ask permission to go up on the bridge, take a black & bitter to the OOD and watch the sun go down.

Steamboat sends
Doc Gardner
Posted 2009-10-28 12:01 PM (#31843 - in reply to #31842)

Master and Commander

steamboat - 2009-10-28 1:47 PM

Doc, it is seldom benificial to wait until you are fully eligable (67 now I believe) to start drawing on your SS. I took mine at 62 and have not looked back. If your SS rep. was worth a hoot she would have checked the tables for you and told you the difference.
Anywho... Have a good day!!! We don't spend enough time exchanging greetings like B'days, mostly at our age we exchange "get well" or "Condolunce" notices. Nice to talk about the good side of life!!!

Now ask permission to go up on the bridge, take a black & bitter to the OOD and watch the sun go down.

They were very helpful and printed off the tables so I could make the right decision; my full retirement age is 66 so it looks like if I file in January I will give up 3 months of benefit and then take the reduced benefit which is about $200.00 per month before taxes and any other deductions. They will have to add in whatever extra I get for my 9 years in the Navy and they will calculate that when I file. I ran the numbers and it looks like I'm ahead of the game until year 12 when I break even and then fall behind in total compensation after that. I only ran it out for 20 years but it looks like I'll file in January and start collecting in April and keep working for as long as my employer will keep me. Starting in October there is no more give back and I get the full benefit after that. It's been an interesting day of learning how the system works.
However, it's time to take Steamboat up on his suggestion;
"Permission to come to the bridge"
Sewer Pipe Snipe
Posted 2009-10-28 1:37 PM (#31845 - in reply to #31836)
Master and Commander

Subject: CORPSMAN UP!

From the way Stoops described it, drinking with you he has a shot glass and you grab the bottle. If you tell him to act like your there, he will need a Corpsman when he kills the bottle.

Happy Birthday older than me.

DahnTu

Stoops
Posted 2009-10-28 5:01 PM (#31856 - in reply to #31837)
Master and Commander

Doc Gardner - 2009-10-28 9:12 AM

Thanks Dave; have two shots and pretend that I'm drinking the other one.

I did that, Doc, but I had to stop.....you get nasty when you have had too many!

BlackBeard
Posted 2009-10-28 7:49 PM (#31863 - in reply to #31836)

Great Sage of the Sea

Happy Birthday Doc! I don't have any whisky in the house so I'll have to toast you with an Irish. Slainte!

BB
Corabelle
Posted 2009-10-28 9:30 PM (#31865 - in reply to #31836)

COMSUBBBS

Happy, happy birthday Baby! Whichever one it is.

Are you bringing your bagpipes with you on your trip next summer? Just wondering, on accounta Elmer told me once that he wanted bagpipes played at his memorial service. I forgot to mention it at the time, and he had probably never told his daughter, so it didn't happen. If your answer is yes, then I'll inquire at the National Cemetery about whether this can be done 'after the fact.' There are services there almost every day (lots are the WWII vets that are leaving us so rapidly now), and cars are lined up on the path to the 'funeral room,' because each service can only last half an hour.

Just wondering. I know that space is at a premium when you're traveling on a motorcycle.

Cora

Edited by Corabelle 2009-10-28 9:30 PM
Doc Gardner
Posted 2009-10-29 3:55 AM (#31867 - in reply to #31865)

Master and Commander

Corabelle - 2009-10-29 12:30 AM

Happy, happy birthday Baby! Whichever one it is.

Are you bringing your bagpipes with you on your trip next summer? Just wondering, on accounta Elmer told me once that he wanted bagpipes played at his memorial service. I forgot to mention it at the time, and he had probably never told his daughter, so it didn't happen. If your answer is yes, then I'll inquire at the National Cemetery about whether this can be done 'after the fact.' There are services there almost every day (lots are the WWII vets that are leaving us so rapidly now), and cars are lined up on the path to the 'funeral room,' because each service can only last half an hour.

Just wondering. I know that space is at a premium when you're traveling on a motorcycle.

Cora

Still undecided on the bagpipes; if I bring them along then I also have to pack the kilt and all the other elements of the proper wear; weight and space become a real issue. However, if I decide to pack them I will let you know in advance so you can make whatever arrangements are required
Ralph Luther
Posted 2009-10-29 4:39 AM (#31870 - in reply to #31865)
COMSUBBBS

Cora, actually I think Doc was waiting for someone to ask him about taking his bags on the trip. He's been wanting to ride that bike wearing a kilt for quite sometime. It will be real interesting to see his reaction when he encounters a june bug or yellow jacket up the kilt at 70 mph.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software