Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: The USS SKATE (SSN 578) was the first vessel ever to surface at the North Pole, when on March 17, 1959 she surfaced there to conduct memorial services for the renowned Arctic explorer Sir Hubert Wilkins.
Just read one of the "random posts"
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Doc Gardner
Posted 2009-10-28 5:43 PM (#31858)

Master and Commander

Subject: Just read one of the "random posts"

USS SKATE and USS SEADRAGON, after affecting a historic rendezvous under the ice, surfaced together at the North Pole through an opening in the ice on August 1962.

I was in Sub School when this took place and my instructor was QM1 "Pappy" Wines; he had been on the Seadragon and stopped the class and told us all about the crew that was on this op.

Been a long time since I thought about this; hard to believe it's almost 50 years ago
Coyote
Posted 2009-10-28 6:46 PM (#31860 - in reply to #31858)

Master and Commander

Subject: RE: Just read one of the "random posts"

Jeez, you're making me feel positively ancient - I was there on Seadragon in '62 and had been to the pole in '60 with Pappy on Seadragon (Northwest Passage trip) as well.

In fact, my "avatar" picture to the left shows me on the '62 trip leaning on the radar console, next to the QM desk.

Coyote (creaking as he stands up to go get a beer)

Edited by Coyote 2009-10-28 6:47 PM
Doc Gardner
Posted 2009-10-29 3:59 AM (#31868 - in reply to #31860)

Master and Commander

Subject: RE: Just read one of the "random posts"

Coyote - 2009-10-28 9:46 PM

Jeez, you're making me feel positively ancient - I was there on Seadragon in '62 and had been to the pole in '60 with Pappy on Seadragon (Northwest Passage trip) as well.

In fact, my "avatar" picture to the left shows me on the '62 trip leaning on the radar console, next to the QM desk.

Coyote (creaking as he stands up to go get a beer)

Pappy was quite the character and he had more expressions that have stuck with me over the years than anyone I have ever met in my life. I think his given name was Francis but I never heard anyone refer to him as anything other than "Pappy".
I'll bet you have some real good stories of serving along side him.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software