Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: During their wartime operations submarines have engaged in some unusual maritime actions. One undersea craft slugged it out with the infantry and field artillery while other submarines destroyed a zeppelin, a bus, and a railroad train.
Geek News, Win7 FYI (nsr)
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Ric
Posted 2009-10-29 7:18 AM (#31874)

Plankowner

Subject: Geek News, Win7 FYI (nsr)

The truth is leaking through the M$ hype....

http://www.technewsworld.com/rsstory/68503.html
PaulR
Posted 2009-10-29 8:50 AM (#31878 - in reply to #31874)

Master and Commander

Subject: RE: Geek News, Win7 FYI (nsr)

Counterpoint
Ric
Posted 2009-10-29 9:09 AM (#31879 - in reply to #31878)

Plankowner

Interesting... I have run Ubuntu and have had no problems with it. I have swapped it though for a OS I do like much better. LinuxMint7.
I, presently am on my laptop running XP, (my 2000Pro machine HD having died. (Many apps I use for webpage work only come in Win formats) I need to daily in one fashion or another have to reboot the OS because it hangs up or just quits working. I've never had to reboot, except for major OS updates on my Linux machine. Solid as a rock and just keeps on ticking. When I do shut the machine off it loads up in about 20 seconds from a cold start. I have a friend who has Vista on her machine, What a piece of crapola that is, she hates it an wishes she had never installed it. She is going to do a Kill Disk on it and load up her XP disks. I'm not even remotely interested in Win7 though it would be interesting to get my hands on a European copy that has the Internet Exploder removed, the only way the EU will allow M$ to sell their product there, funny, they tell us it is impossible to remove it from US versions.(IE and Outlook are the biggest back doors into computers out there. They are big Welcome signs to hackers)
PaulR
Posted 2009-10-29 9:43 AM (#31880 - in reply to #31879)

Master and Commander

Ric,

My opinion, and it is ONLY an opinion is that some version of WIN is most probably the route for the VAST majority of computer users out there.

I've played with several distros of LINUX myself and it never got beyond the experimental stages.  I consider myself and above-average PC type, and some things were baffling to me. Like you my apps are windows based, work fine for me and my PC is never shutdown for any reason..24/7.  I got away from IE years ago because of issues then, that probably do not exist today.  Firefox & Thunderbird suit me fine.  For MY everyday use, I have not valid reason to change from XP/pro.  It has not been updated from MS in over 3 years.

I never fell on the VISTA sword, so I have no prejudices there.  People that were born using VISTA probably think it's great and may be for all I know about it personally.

LINUX to me is still a "geek" toy IMHO, but it has some nice features.  If I was that concerned about $$ I probably would go that way BUT it would be painful.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software