Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: Fleet Admiral Halsey in a book called "The Admirals" when asked "What is the ultimate strategic weapon that is bringing the enemy to its knees? Halsey's reply "If I had to give credit to the instruments and machines that won us the war in the Pacific, I would rank them in this order: SUBMARINES, FIRST; RADAR, SECOND; PLANES, THIRD AND BULLDOZERS FOURTH."
Human Torpedos.
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Serious Submarine ResearchMessage format

Hairball
Posted 2009-11-17 12:45 PM (#32487)
Senior Crew

Subject: Human Torpedos.

I’ve been watching a movie about, ‘human torpedoes,’ where two riders sit astride a modified torpedo which they then navigate into a harbor and attach a warhead to a warship. The one thing that strikes me is that all of them have the two man crew sitting bolt-upright on their steed. This must have created a lot of drag by doubling the head-on cross-sectional area while making them difficult to manoeuvre.

But they were effective. On December 21st 1941 an Italian team called, “The Sea Devils,” with three of these vessels entered Gibraltar Harbor (or Malta) and put the Battleships, HMS Valliant, HMS Elizabeth and a the tanker Segona out of action.

But did anyone come up with the idea of having the two man crew lay face down? They could have still read their compass and when needed - take her up and sit upright to, in other words, ‘up-periscope.’

By laying flat I think it would have been possible to increase the speed, range and controllability of their craft.

Did anyone try this?

Cheers, Hairball
610ET
Posted 2012-09-24 12:04 PM (#59541 - in reply to #32487)

Old Salt

Subject: RE: Human Torpedos.

A little different than what you asked about.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaiten
rover177
Posted 2012-09-25 6:08 AM (#59550 - in reply to #32487)
Master and Commander

Subject: RE: Human Torpedos.

The Germans had some whereby the pilot pointed the torpedo at the target and then bailed out shortly before it hit - apparently the casualty rate was high. Have not yet researched them.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software