Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: The USS NAUTILUS SSN 571 made history by cruising submerged from the pacific to the Atlantic Ocean, passing under the North Pole at 11:15 p.m. EDST on August 3, 1958.
Commissioning and Decommissioning
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Serious Submarine ResearchMessage format

viejo
Posted 2011-04-11 6:00 PM (#47010)

Senior Crew

Subject: Commissioning and Decommissioning

In several emails and reading many articles, I am about 90% sure that neither the Marlin nor the Mackerel were ever commissioned. Articles that state they were put in service are most common. Found one that said the Marlin was commissioned, but am sure it was wrong. However, both ships were decommissioned. Now I am not sure how you can decommission something that was never commissioned. I have programs of both the ceremony to put the Marlin in Service. Also articles to explain why though not comissioned, the officer in charge was called the commanding Officer. Also have the Decommissioning brochure.  What is strange is the last CO and I have been talking back and forth and he thought it was always in commission.  Wendy at the museum said no. I had assumed they commissioned it when they changed the name from T-1 to Marlin, but can't find anything that says that. I can see it never being in commission, but why then would they decomission it?

Thanks,
Viejo

oldsubs
Posted 2011-04-12 8:24 AM (#47032 - in reply to #47010)

Historian

Subject: RE: Commissioning and Decommissioning

Interesting anomaly. The answer lies in two places. First: The Z-file which resides in the Ships History section of the Navy History and Heritage Center (NHHC) in Washington. These files contain documents used to develop the Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships. There may be a commissioning card/document there. The second is the Ships Deck Logs which reside in the same place but in a different physical location. A review of the log for each ship should show when and if the ships were commissioned.

Let me make a couple of inquiries to see if I can get someone to go to the center and look at these. I assume you are not in a position to do it. I'm in St Augustine, FL and its a long way to go during a lunch break.

The question of commissioning and its ramifications leads to interesting problems in Naval History especially as pertains to pre Spanish America War era ships.

V/R
Jim Christley
oldsubs
Posted 2011-04-12 9:04 AM (#47034 - in reply to #47010)

Historian

Mrs Gulley at the Submarine Museum Library says: There is a 'decommissioning brochure", however the message traffic regarding the boat on the date in question states it was "placed out of service". So until better evidence is uncovered as mentioned above, that it the answer. One was commissioned/decommissioned and the other was "placed in service" and "placed out of service". I've got a couple of other oars in the water also including one gent who may look at the BuShips Records at the National ARchives to see if there is any letter traffic that may shine some light on what was going on and why the difference.

Jim
609EM1
Posted 2011-04-12 3:39 PM (#47041 - in reply to #47010)

Senior Crew

This info from NavSource Online

http://www.navsource.org/archives/08/08570.htm   Mackerel

Placed in service T-1 (SST-1)  9 Oct 1953

Renamed Mackerel (SST-1) 15 Jul 1956

Commissioned        USS Mackerel (SST-1) in 1971

Decommissioned and struck 31 Jan 1973

http://www.navsource.org/archives/08/08549.htm  Marlin

Commissioned        USS T-2 (SST-2)  20 Nov 1953

Renamed       USS Marlin (SST-2) 15 Jul 1956

Decommissioned and struck  31 Jan 1973

viejo
Posted 2011-04-12 7:08 PM (#47042 - in reply to #47041)

Senior Crew

Fraid the info on the navsource archives page is probably wrong. So is Wiki which is where the other came from as far as I can tell. I appreciate Jim looking this up. I have the articles pertaining to the Marlin's being placed in Service. Three of them although at the top of one it says commissioning, but then in the article explains it was not commissioned. Also a letter explaining why the CO is called the CO even though not a commissioned vessel. What Jim says and Wendy says makes sense. I have the Decommissioning Brochure and have a newsletter copy of the Being placed in Service ceremony brouchure. Wouldn't make sense to me that they would wait until 2 years before the Mackerel was going out of service to commission it. Perhaps if we find out that neither of them were commissioned, then I will be able to get copies of the message traffic about them being placed out of service. The Mackerel was placed in service first, but they both had ceremonies, for being placed out of service/decommissioning on the same day and held together from what I can read.

I want to be able to give our visitors the right information.

Thanks Jim for all your looking. Fraid I am 1500 miles away from where all these records are kept.

Bill

viejo
Posted 2011-04-14 10:52 AM (#47088 - in reply to #47042)

Senior Crew

Here is a copy of one of the articles I have that mention the Marlin being put in service and also explains about the fact that the CO or other office of the Marlin does not have to meet the always on board requirement of commissioned ships.

Viejo

viejo
Posted 2011-04-14 10:55 AM (#47089 - in reply to #47042)

Senior Crew

Here is a copy of one of the articles I have that mention the Marlin being put in service and also explains about the fact that the CO or other office of the Marlin does not have to meet the always on board requirement of commissioned ships.

Viejo

(Marlin in service (638 x 798) (478 x 598).jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Marlin in service (638 x 798) (478 x 598).jpg (56KB - 2070 downloads)
hwscott2
Posted 2011-08-28 8:40 PM (#50521 - in reply to #47010)
Mess cooking

U.S.S. Marlin was commissioned as USS T-2 on 20 November 1953 with Lieutenant Edward Holt in command. Renamed Marlin on 15 May 1956. Marlin and her sister ship Mackerel were decommissioned on 31 January 1973 in a dual ceremony at Naval Station Key West. Both also were stricken from the Naval Vessel Register that day. See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Marlin_(SST-2)
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software