Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: "... The Navy's best are found upon; The pigboats black and trim; For men must be of sturdy stuff; To sink and still to swim ..." part of a poem, author unknown
Liberty ports and SUBMARINE bars
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

dirty dave
Posted 2007-09-14 4:28 PM (#7592 - in reply to #7579)

Crew

Subject: RE: Liberty ports and SUBMARINE bars

Ay yes,Elfie's and the El Bolaro...Spent a few hours there when building the 643 at EB...The Villa Capris was an other nice place to have a few pops.There was an other place of Thames called Danny Shea"s, a great bar with a lot of old natives hanging out there(long ago in the Fifties)./Danny had an order of the Yellow Dog and I still cary his card.A lot of merchant seaman hung out there.A bunch of us guys in SUBSCHOOL" 55 " got the sh-t kicked out of us when onf of the guys refused to pay up on a shuffle board game loss...low ond behold he was their skipper and the crap hit the fan.Scars to remember.

Pete's in Aiea was a big hang out for sub sailors in the fifties and sixties,a lot of the people from GUMU 90 hung out there,Gilley Willy for one and Narcodic Nick for an other. lots of ladies from Naval housing used to hang out there when their ole man was in West Pac.Most of the boats hung out at the Dolphin Club then,cycling between Pete's White Palace and Louie's Log Cabin.

An other hang out was Fran's in Groton.You would have to keep a close eye on your money because Tex one of the bar tenders had verty sticky fingers.I think he was the brother of the owner.

San Diego just had too many watering holes to mention,Barbette,Green's,Green Door and three or four oriental bars along Fifth Street.

Dirty Dave...48-67

Donald L. Johnson
Posted 2007-09-14 11:58 PM (#7595 - in reply to #7591)

Great Sage of the Sea

I don't recall the Hong Kong Sailor's Club, but all 4 times I was in Hong Kong we had at least one ship's party at the China Fleet Club. Didn't spend much time in the Wanchai bars, too much noise and/or too many yuppies/tourists.

After a more senior shipmate showed me where they were, I spent most of my time in The Bull and The Bear in Victoria, or either the Waltzing Matilda or the Kangaroo Pub in Kowloon. Mostly Brits & Aussies in there, still had a good time.
Gil
Posted 2007-09-17 4:34 PM (#7649 - in reply to #7595)
Master and Commander

Thanks Don it was the China Fleet Club. I went back to Hong Kong in the 90's and could not get in because I was not military anymore.
Buff
Posted 2007-09-17 10:26 PM (#7652 - in reply to #7482)
Crew

Mike,
If memory serves me, Ingrid would only serve the maximum of TWO Swedish milkshakes per person.

Best regards,

Buff
MAD DOG
Posted 2007-09-17 10:50 PM (#7653 - in reply to #7587)

Master and Commander

Gil: Was June's a "buy me drinkee" joint inhabited by ladies of the Korean persuasion?If so, been there-done that! DOG

Edited by MAD DOG 2007-09-17 10:52 PM
Gil
Posted 2007-09-18 10:19 AM (#7662 - in reply to #7385)
Master and Commander

Mad Dog,
It sure was. Some of my shipmates and I went there before Westpac. The purpose was to get qualified to handle the "you buy me Honda no sh*t" ladies of Yokosuka. June's got torn down before the Pearl City Tavern.
MAD DOG
Posted 2007-10-25 7:12 PM (#8501 - in reply to #7385)

Master and Commander

Dave:Is the "Albino Swine"aka White Pig still just outside the back gate Bremerton? As I remember,it was next door to a barber shop and the bar was used as the "Waiting room".There was a hole in the wall where the barber would yell out the number of his next victim.It was always a good excuse for early liberty(gotta get a haircut chief). Slanted floor,shuffleboard table never was level,great joint!
MAD DOG
Posted 2007-10-25 7:12 PM (#8502 - in reply to #7385)

Master and Commander

Dave:Is the "Albino Swine"aka White Pig still just outside the back gate Bremerton? As I remember,it was next door to a barber shop and the bar was used as the "Waiting room".There was a hole in the wall where the barber would yell out the number of his next victim.It was always a good excuse for early liberty(gotta get a haircut chief). Slanted floor,shuffleboard table never was level,great joint!
PEP
Posted 2007-10-25 7:43 PM (#8509 - in reply to #8501)

Senior Crew

As I remember,it was next door to a barber shop and the bar was used as the "Waiting room".There was a hole in the wall where the barber would yell out the number of his next victim.It was always a good excuse for early liberty(gotta get a haircut chief)

Boy I think you just descrribed Guam. barbershop, bar and attached tattoo shop all in one!

PEP
dirty dave
Posted 2007-10-25 8:15 PM (#8513 - in reply to #8502)

Crew

No,Mad Dog .Every thig in that area was torn down to construct the Bremerton Gateway...sad,sad,sad.

With all the views on this thread only about five or six of us ever went into a bar!!!!What in hell happened to the blue blooded submarine sailor?

Dex,I never had the priviledge of riding a boat with you,but I know for sure we would have been running mates.

Dirty Dave...A sailor that used to frequent bars all over the world.....
MAD DOG
Posted 2007-10-26 3:49 AM (#8520 - in reply to #8513)

Master and Commander

Thanks Dave. Good to hear from you.You are probably right about the 5 or 6 of us, but we would have made a hell of a crew.LMAO .........BTW:Dex.ditto what Dave said!!

Edited by MAD DOG 2007-10-26 4:05 AM
Runner485
Posted 2007-10-26 5:54 AM (#8522 - in reply to #7385)

COMSUBBBS

Bells is the only one that rings my bell. However, when I first landed in NOrfolk, early '60, TAD to the USS FDR CVA42 a buddy and I would up on Main Street. WOW! What a Sodom and Gomorah, (sp). Burlesque houses, 1000 bars on the strip with 10,000 sailors reeling from door to door looking for the best beer, sweetest barmaid or whatever. One year later they bulldozed Main Street. Where did all those sailors go to after that. D&S Piers had all the bars on the strip outside Gate 2. That's where we converged.....Bell's and the ever lovely Thelma. Which just goes to show you, how gorgeous some of these barmaids became after a dozen beers. Thelma, despite all the talk about her beauty was one very unpretty woman. Ah yes, drunken sailors and the love of their lives.......
GaryKC
Posted 2007-10-26 7:33 AM (#8524 - in reply to #7385)

COMSUBBBS

This was a great floating SUBMARINE bar(ge). Guantanamo Bay, Cuba 1971

(gitmohilton75.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments gitmohilton75.jpg (43KB - 2481 downloads)
Ralph Luther
Posted 2007-10-26 7:44 AM (#8525 - in reply to #7385)
COMSUBBBS

Been there many times, the day it arrived and also the day they took the old one away.
Larry Smith
Posted 2007-10-26 7:02 PM (#8566 - in reply to #7414)

Senior Crew

There was a story in the local paper a few years back about that sub from the H&C Ballroom.  Some guy found it in a mountain of trash in his back yard.  How Sad!
Larry Smith
Posted 2007-10-26 9:45 PM (#8567 - in reply to #7588)

Senior Crew

The Dial Tone that I remember was in the Groton area.  It was there when I was in SubSchool in `73, but was gone when I went back in `78.  Seven Brothers was also gone by then.

I worked as doorman/bartender/janitor at the Cafe Del-Mar on Rt 12 while going through Mk 113 "C" school.  I couldn't believe I actually got paid for hanging around the place.  And as long as I tipped the waitresses, I didn't pay for drinks on my off-nights.
dirty dave
Posted 2007-10-26 9:56 PM (#8568 - in reply to #8567)

Crew

Larry,you could have worked at a high class joint....Rosey's canteena
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software