Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: The USS SKATE (SSN 578) was the first vessel ever to surface at the North Pole, when on March 17, 1959 she surfaced there to conduct memorial services for the renowned Arctic explorer Sir Hubert Wilkins.
My first Thanksgiving in the Navy
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Ric
Posted 2021-11-27 3:35 PM (#101543)

Plankowner

Subject: My first Thanksgiving in the Navy

June of 1964 I enlisted in the Navy. By September I had entered my post bootcamp "A" school and had volunteered for Submarines. So as the end of November came around I was on a train heading to the East Coast and Submarine School. Thanksgiving day dawned as the train pulled into the station in Chicago. I had to change trains which even entailed changing stations. I had to take a bus from one to the other. (This is where my Sea Bag and I parted company but that is another story) After aboard the "New York Century Star Limited" (what a name) I checked my funds and decided to see what I could find that I could afford in the dining car. (I was traveling in uniform). I was seated and an older black waiter came to my table and showed me a menu. I looked and, even for 1964, things were not cheap. I slowly made my choice which was not very Thanksgiving like but what I could afford. The waiter took the order. I waited only a few minutes before the waiter came back to my table and placed a whole heaping plate of turkey and dressing and the works in front of me. He told me there was no charge and to enjoy the meal. I was shocked to say the least at the meal and to the kindness of this man who I had met for no more than 5 minutes and haven't seen since. I have never forgotten him. I wish him Happy Thanksgiving every year.

Pedro
Posted 2021-11-27 4:16 PM (#101545 - in reply to #101543)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: RE: My first Thanksgiving in the Navy

Great story Ric. He was probably an old veteran himself to make such a kind Thanksgiving gesture to a young sailor.

Pedro
Gil
Posted 2021-11-27 11:03 PM (#101546 - in reply to #101543)
Master and Commander

Thank you for sharing that.
Runner485
Posted 2021-11-28 5:33 AM (#101548 - in reply to #101543)

COMSUBBBS

Real nice story Ric. Thanks for posting it. Hope your Thanksgiving was another one to remember.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software