Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: In their history, submarines were called by many names such as 'eel boats', 'plunging boats', 'devil divers', and 'pig boats'. Technically, and by size, the submarine is a ship, but it has been called a boat since its earliest days, and the term is steeped in tradition. Submariners almost invariably call their ships 'boats".
How I volunteered for subs..
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> How I Got Into SubmarinesMessage format

Lee Davenport
Posted 2008-09-13 11:54 AM (#19601)
Crew

Subject: How I volunteered for subs..

I joined the U.S. Navy in Jan 1952. During recruit training, at San Diego, I went, along with all my recruit company, to be interviewed as to what I wanted to strike for. About the only work I had ever done, was on heavy machinery. IE. Bulldozers, Earth movers, etc.. The interviewer was a Chief Radioman. I told him I wanted to be a SeaBee and he told me they were going to give me a test and do the best I could on it. I couldn't figure out what a code test had to do with being a SeaBee, but I took the test and wound up in RM school at San Diego. (While waiting for my class at RM school, they put a whole bunch of us on a Destroyer Tender somewhere around San Diego and we worked around the shipyard every day. The food there, boot camp and school command was terrible.) Back then, they had what they called "returnable quotas". If you came to school from a ship, you returned to that ship after school. My bunk mate was a SN off a San Diego Sub.. (I don't remember which one, except it had not been converted to GUPPY. One sunday he took a few of us down to "His Boat". After seeing it and being treated to all the steak we could eat, we all volunteered for subs...

"If you don't read newspapers, you are not informed. If you do read them, you are mis-informed.." Mark Twain
joe griffith
Posted 2008-12-20 4:26 PM (#22718 - in reply to #19601)

Mess cooking

Subject: RE: How I volunteered for subs..

Joined Navy in 1954. Did Boot camp in San Diego then I.C. Electrician school. One day they asked if anyone was interested in Subs. If yes you got a day off from school to go to a Tender for pressure testing and then more testing. Last I remember I graduated from I.C. school and had orders for New London to Sub school then another school, Advanced Electricial. Then Norfork,VA USS Orian to the Grampus.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software