Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: In 1921, a United States submarine, the R-14, having run out of fuel at sea while looking for the missing tug USS Conestoga, rigged sails from blankets and hammocks sewn together. Bunk frames were used for yardarms and booms. The torpedo loading king post for a fore mast, the torpedo loading boom for a mizzen mast and the telescoping radio mast, for the main mast. The R-14 sailed 100 miles in five days to the port of Hilo, T.H. at a speed of two knots. It has been reported in March 2016 that the Conestoga has been located 3 miles off Southeast Farallon Island, probably sinking with-in a day of leaving port. All hands lost.
Favorite Pictures (NSR)
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1 2 3 4
Now viewing page 3 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Ralph Luther
Posted 2009-01-12 6:27 AM (#23482 - in reply to #23461)
COMSUBBBS

Subject: RE: Favorite Pictures (NSR)

Awww geeezz Gary, you must be trying to make me homesick for the 484 and the Gitmo Hilton. I was one of the original Plank Owners to the Gitmo Hilton. Sure had some good times there.
John Bay
Posted 2009-01-12 2:53 PM (#23501 - in reply to #23253)
Old Salt

Subject: Look closely- VERY closely!

One of my favorite railroad pictures!

(105867850.RrYVk37U[1] (Small).jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 105867850.RrYVk37U[1] (Small).jpg (60KB - 601 downloads)
whalen
Posted 2009-01-12 3:37 PM (#23502 - in reply to #23253)

Great Sage of the Sea

Winners in the Darwin Awards!  The losers did it up on the rail and ended up as tiny toad frisbees.

(For POD: "Why don't we do it in the road?"  "That's why!"

Park Dallis
Posted 2009-01-12 4:12 PM (#23504 - in reply to #23414)

Old Salt

Subject: RE: $$ Rabbit $$

The Brat - 2009-01-10 3:40 PMPetrie, the prize winning rabbit brought $400.00 at the premium sale today. Boy was my daughter excited!

Man, that's some expensive hassenpfeffer!
viejo
Posted 2009-01-12 4:40 PM (#23505 - in reply to #23266)

Senior Crew

I didn't take this one, but it is one of my favorites of my qual boat the Snook. I don't think too many other subs ever joined the Rebel Navy.
Viejo

(Leaving PascagoulaJack stole flag.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Leaving PascagoulaJack stole flag.jpg (61KB - 652 downloads)
BlackBeard
Posted 2009-01-12 10:42 PM (#23512 - in reply to #23253)

Great Sage of the Sea

Hey Bill, Did the fairing behind the sail house a towed array or something else or was it just for hydrodynamics? Also I noticed on another post that you guys had the brow crossing over to the fairwater planes. Was that the SOP when you tied up?

Curious minds wanna know...

BB
steamboat
Posted 2009-01-13 7:46 AM (#23517 - in reply to #23505)
Master and Commander

Vieho, What a great pic of Snook flying the Confederate Navy jack!
I gotta take a copy to my next Sons of Confederate Veterans camp meeting. Can you give some of the details of the this historic event??
Steamboat sends
Launcher Lary
Posted 2009-01-13 7:49 AM (#23518 - in reply to #23517)

Senior Crew

...duh, just what it appears bubba, bunch o' rednecks dun stole a boat for the weekend for a joy ride...geeze, buy 'em books, send 'em to school and they don't learn a thing...

heh heh heh

Billy Bob
steamboat
Posted 2009-01-13 8:00 AM (#23519 - in reply to #23518)
Master and Commander

Launcher Lary - 2009-01-13 7:49 AM

...duh, just what it appears bubba, bunch o' rednecks dun stole a boat for the weekend for a joy ride...geeze, buy 'em books, send 'em to school and they don't learn a thing...

heh heh heh

Billy Bob

THE SOUTH SHALL RISE AGAIN ! YEEE HAAAA! (Thats an abreviated Rebel yell, for all Ya'll Yankees that ain't heard the fearsome sound yet).

Steamboat sends
Jim M.
Posted 2009-01-13 8:19 AM (#23520 - in reply to #23519)

Great Sage of the Sea

steamboat - 2009-01-13 8:00 AM

THE SOUTH SHALL RISE AGAIN ! YEEE HAAAA! Steamboat sends

Hey Steamboat..

UNION FOREVER

hehehehe
viejo
Posted 2009-01-13 10:02 AM (#23526 - in reply to #23512)

Senior Crew

Sean, that is part of the snorkel and diesel exhaust system. To see how it worked, go to: http://snook592.sail.to/ click on compartments and tanks, then under ships systems, click on snorkel.
I am not sure I remember all about line handling. We never were in that often to do it much, but I wonder if where you tied up made a difference. I know sometimes we would use tugs and sometime the SPM to manuver in and out. I think it may have depended on the skipper, but probably some on this board remember a lot more about that than I do. I only handled lines a few times on the Snook and doubt if I ever did on the Scorpion.
I'll tell you, yesterday on the USS Marlin, I was sure wishing we had drawings like these. There actually is a passway on the starboard side of the shaft that is too small for me to walk along, but there are several places outboard of panels that we'll have to get some kids to crawl into to get to things. So far we haven't been able to find any drawings of the compartments, tanks, or piping systems for the Mackerel class boats.
Bill
Tom Conlon
Posted 2009-01-14 4:04 PM (#23569 - in reply to #23253)
Old Salt

Here's one that I like. I'm a big fan of black & white photography.

Sometimes I think that you can do more with b/w than color. It's all in the composition and light and shadow.

BW0005
Flapper
Posted 2009-01-14 5:09 PM (#23571 - in reply to #23512)

Master and Commander

BlackBeard - 2009-01-12 11:42 PMHey Bill, Did the fairing behind the sail house a towed array or something else or was it just for hydrodynamics? Also I noticed on another post that you guys had the brow crossing over to the fairwater planes. Was that the SOP when you tied up?Curious minds wanna know...BB

Bill answered your first question; as to the second, Skipjacks (like all teardrop nukes except the boomers) had only 6 or 8 feet of free-board waterline to topsides, so if you moored to a pier that was 20 ft above water, a brow to the planes was a good alternative unless there was a sophisticated gangway from the pier. Otherwise returning liberty hounds would end up going over the side coming down a really steep brow!
viejo
Posted 2009-01-14 10:15 PM (#23574 - in reply to #23569)

Senior Crew

Tom, Ansel Adams would sure agree with you. It also teaches you a lot more about those three things you mentioned as there is nothing to cover up your mistakes. Here is a catus shell sitting outside a doctor's office west of Tucson. In color it doesn't standout and show, but in black and white, you can see I should have widened the focal area. Yours has much better detail. What I need to do is program my camera, so I can go back and forth easily between B & W and color, then shoot in B & W to set the shot.
Viejo

Edited by viejo 2009-01-14 10:36 PM

(CatusShell (640 x 480).jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments CatusShell (640 x 480).jpg (99KB - 663 downloads)
viejo
Posted 2009-01-14 10:20 PM (#23575 - in reply to #23517)

Senior Crew

Steamboat, I'll drop you an email with what I know about it. Got to protect the guilty(Grin)
Viejo
BlackBeard
Posted 2009-01-14 11:06 PM (#23576 - in reply to #23253)

Great Sage of the Sea

I irritate my wife all the time because I take so many pictures in B/W. I love it beyond all other photography and am a big fan of the master Mr. Adams. The Center for Creative Photography in Tucson (UofA) is the lucky recipient of most of his negatives -- he willed them. If you ever get the chance, it's worth a day-long visit (along with the Air museum, Desert museum, Boneyard at DM, etc...) From a purely entertainment value we ought to do a convention in the Old Pueblo. I know I'm going to stir up a hornets nest but some of us have wives and family that attend the conventions and want to do things other than the meetings. (Hey, I attend the meetings.)
My photos from the Alaska cruise are about 60% B/W, I'll cull some out and post them soon.

BB
subvetss
Posted 2009-01-15 11:53 AM (#23581 - in reply to #23253)
Senior Crew

Subject: RE: Country living

Here's a picture of my grandson Matt collecting fishing worms. Our house is obscured by the old chicken coop. Our grandson is now 23 and 6'2'' at 275#.
Picture taken about 1989 in North Branch, New York.
Yes New York has a lot of beautiful country.
Joe'the'Most
subvetss
Posted 2009-01-15 11:54 AM (#23582 - in reply to #23581)
Senior Crew

Forgot the picture.
subvetss
Posted 2009-01-15 11:56 AM (#23583 - in reply to #23581)
Senior Crew

Forget the picture. Can't get it small enough.
Joe'the'Most
viejo
Posted 2009-01-15 12:12 PM (#23584 - in reply to #23583)

Senior Crew

Joe, I have a free program called pixresizer that works well for making smaller pixel sizes. Also converts many formats to jpeg.
Can find it here at: http://bluefive.pair.com/pixresizer.htm
Viejo
Tom Conlon
Posted 2009-01-15 4:16 PM (#23595 - in reply to #23574)
Old Salt

Bill,

You mentioned focal length, etc. & composition. I had to learn the relationship between shutter speed and f-stops the hard way.

My first 35mm camera was a Yashica that I bought for $125 at the Navy Exchange in Rota, Spain. It had through the lens "match needle" metering and it was a joy to use. Later it got doused with salt water and the meter never worked again. However, the camera soldiered on for several years after. I did a *lot* of experimenting with speed, f-stops, focus, composition, etc. Burned up a lot of film, too.

I've long since moved to digital, but I still like to use the manual settings on my Nikon. The great thing about digital is that I can see the results immediatly. I can also shoot a lot of pics and select the ones that I really want to use.

Here's another B&W for your enjoyment.

BW0001

iPOD
Posted 2009-01-15 6:10 PM (#23601 - in reply to #23576)

Master and Commander

I just irritate my wife!!!
viejo
Posted 2009-01-15 7:53 PM (#23603 - in reply to #23595)

Senior Crew

Tom, you are right. My first camera was a Richoh, then I had a Yashica, which is what I used to take the picture of the Scorpion in Scotland. I got used to taking so many portrait types and having fixed long length lens with 2.8 and lower speeds, that I have to stop and think about making sure that sometimes I need everything in focus. Also I miss the speed of some of my older lenses. I also liked the fact that on the older lenses, I could look on the lens and tell about how much would be in focus. Digital does a lot and is much more convenient, but I still haven't gotten a feel for it yet. I shoot most stuff in aperture preferred on all my cameras but am still trying to get used to the slower lenses and how even in long lengths some things are still in focus with the digital lens. I bought my Sony A-100 on purpose so I could use my old minolta lenses, then had to learn that they aren't the same lens in a digital camera. But it is fun and I just need to get out and shoot more. Maybe when the temperature is above zero again. I also liked the needles and then the little circle that would come and go as you got in focus. The way I learned about speeds and f stops was from an old Peterson book and it explained that you needed so much light to make a picture, so you could have a little light, small fstop number, for a longer time, or a lot of light, bigger fstop number, for a shorter time and of course the smaller fstop number made your focal distance less. I also learned to shoot in front as what was behind was more in focus and so still would be if I focused to the front. Some of this seems to apply, but it doesn't always come out like I think when shooting with a digital. But as you said, you look and then take it over again. And by the way nice picture I like the white around the grey.
Bill

Edited by viejo 2009-01-15 7:54 PM
BlackBeard
Posted 2009-01-16 11:24 AM (#23623 - in reply to #23253)

Great Sage of the Sea

My first camera was a Pentax Spotmatic f. I still have it and a great set of Takumar lenses. I bought the Canon Rebel right before the convention cruise and just love it. I really like being able to set up all the B/W settings (including filter settings) on one selection so I can quickly switch between color or B/W, as I did on many of the glacier photos.

BB

(GlacierShadows.web.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments GlacierShadows.web.jpg (60KB - 625 downloads)
GaryKC
Posted 2009-01-16 8:39 PM (#23635 - in reply to #23253)

COMSUBBBS

It took me a while to locate and scan a photo from my qual boat, a statue of Ralph that the crew paid homage to daily.

(sirralph.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments sirralph.jpg (59KB - 610 downloads)
Jump to page : 1 2 3 4
Now viewing page 3 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software