Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: "I don't know why we have to be down here on this hold down exercise(at the 60th hour). Hell, I went through this on the Thresher (SS 200) during WW ll with a Nip Sea Going Tug hooked onto our screw guards, trying to lift our butts out of the water. They didn't get us then, and these Tin Cans (ours) ain't going to get us now." -- "Hambone" Hamilton SD1 (SS). "Hambone" made 13 war patrols on USS Remora, SS-487, uttered these words in July 1957 during a hold down exercise off Kobe Japan.
Ron" Warshot" Smith arrangements
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Ralph Luther
Posted 2009-02-25 4:35 PM (#24646 - in reply to #24642)
COMSUBBBS

Subject: RE: Ron" Warshot" Smith arrangements

Oh geezz, if Blue sees this I know he'll hold it over my head,
Jim M.
Posted 2009-02-26 11:53 AM (#24659 - in reply to #24637)

Great Sage of the Sea

Subject: RE: Photos

miss lumpy bumps - 2009-02-25 2:15 PM

We can do a sort of "exchange deal"...Jim, when are you coming up???

I'm kinda sorta local - coming from Annapolis. I'm probably just going to drive to Arlington Cemetery and meet people there.. I can take 4, 5 with squeezing in, in my minivan. And yes, I'll bring my laptop... and digital camera..

Like I said, I can turn and burn CDs without any problem.. just need blank CDs
Curt
Posted 2009-03-08 5:55 AM (#24862 - in reply to #24454)

Old Salt

One Week and Counting...

http://www.bottomgun.com/bbs2/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=5421&posts=16

Map - http://www.cdhaggard.com/S-VA1.JPG
--- L is the Legion - http://www.vapost176.org/
--- H is the Springfield Hard Times - http://www.hardtimes.com/location/detail.aspx?LocationId=15
--- K is Kates - http://www.katesirishpub.com/
--- B is the Best Western - http://www.bestwesternvirginia.com/hotels/best-western-springfield
Jim M.
Posted 2009-03-10 5:18 AM (#24897 - in reply to #24454)

Great Sage of the Sea

Just in case, I'll be arriving sometime after 0900 hrs on 17 March at the cemetery. I can take five (5) additional people to Old Post Chapel. I will be heading to the Visitor's Center first to get directions to Old Post Chapel and to get information on visiting my best friend, who is in the Columbarium.

If anyone is needing a ride, please send me a PM so that I can give you my cell phone number.
ELT627
Posted 2009-03-11 11:13 AM (#24935 - in reply to #24454)
Mess cooking

Ok, now you guys have me totally confused, being a total foreigner to DC and the local environs. I leave for MD early tomorrow morning. Visiting my Mom in Hagerstown (she left those nasty environs of Long Island a few years back) and then meeting up with Georgianna and family on the 16th at the Best Western Rosslyn.
Now just which hard times are we going to be at? Springfield or Arlington?
And I hope my GPS doesn't blow up because this nuke don't know nothing about navigating! Thank God for all them folks up front that kept us pointed in the right direction. I'll provide the power, you guys navigate!!!
Looking forward to seeing everyone on the 16th if you spot me in the right direction. Not sure about meeting that Aussie, great on email but not sure about this face to face stuff with someone from below.
ELT627
Ric
Posted 2009-03-11 11:19 AM (#24936 - in reply to #24935)

Plankowner

Don't worry, I'm sure he will have something in his mouth. Just follow the trail of food crumbs.

I leave Sat morning and meet up with Jon Krup at Midway in Chicago and we fly in together to Dullas. Dex is picking us up I understand. I guess we'll have to just look for the Viking horns. See you Monday, Gil, at where ever it is we are going.
Olgoat
Posted 2009-03-11 12:23 PM (#24937 - in reply to #24454)

Mess cooking

Greetings mates!

Couple of things that need to be mentioned...

Dex & I went to Ft. Myer to followup on a few details and also check out the Abrams Room at the officers club, where the reception will be held (they changed it from the Campaign Room, where it was originally scheduled). No problem, as you'll be directed to the right room as soon as you enter the club.

I've been informed by the staff that you WILL need a vehicle pass if you're going to the officers club. You can get one at the gate, just make sure you have a picture ID with you. I'm not sure if you need one to get into the chapel, but you will likely need one to get to the reception - with your vehicle.

Now, for the gathering for din-din on Monday, the 16th. I STRONGLY recommend everyone meet at KATES, rather than HARD TIMES CAFE, for a couple of reasons... First, seating at Hard Times is in booths - which hold six people each. It is unlikely we would get booths 'together' (they're not set up that way) so our 'group' would be pretty much scattered around the place. Also, they cater to the pool crowd (they have several pool tables) and a younger crowd, and it could be crowded.

Seating at KATES is much more flexable, with a reserved separate seating area and large tables accomodating large groups. Their food is excellent, very reasonable and their beer, wine, or liquor selection is outstanding. I've spoken with Mike the owner, and he will definitely comfortably accomodate our group.

Check out their website at http://www.katesirishpub.com/ for directions, menu items, etc.

See you there???

olgoat
Curt
Posted 2009-03-11 1:57 PM (#24940 - in reply to #24454)

Old Salt

Plus, It's Closer for the BW Group (Almost Within Crawling Distance...)!

... http://www.cdhaggard.com/S-VA1.JPG [B<->K instead of B<->H]
Jim M.
Posted 2009-03-12 5:39 AM (#24949 - in reply to #24937)

Great Sage of the Sea

Olgoat - 2009-03-11 12:23 PM

Greetings mates!

Couple of things that need to be mentioned... I'm not sure if you need one to get into the chapel, but you will likely need one to get to the reception - with your vehicle.

Ray.. it is strongly advised that those attending the service at the Old Post Chapel stop at the Visitor's Center first to get directions. You can get there through the cemetery gate. I called the other day to verify, and to get the niche location of where a friend of mine is.
Curt
Posted 2009-03-14 5:42 AM (#24987 - in reply to #24454)

Old Salt

...Anywho...

Day after tomorrow, see you in Springfield!

Ric
Posted 2009-03-14 5:50 AM (#24988 - in reply to #24987)

Plankowner

Shuttle is picking me up in 30 minutes. I'll be in DC by 10 this evening their time. See everyone there.

Curt
Posted 2009-03-16 3:07 AM (#25033 - in reply to #24454)

Old Salt

See #8 for tomorrow... http://www.arlingtoncemetery.org/daily_schedule/3-17-09.htm
miss lumpy bumps
Posted 2009-03-16 4:45 AM (#25034 - in reply to #24940)

COMSUBBBS

Good morning, ALL...well, Curt, I would not want to "crawl" from there...not at night anyway...but I agree.  I can't speak for anyone else, but if last night was any indication of what is to occur in the next few days...Warshot will have a send off of
giant proportions...plus "we" have evidence...hehehe!!

P.S. Roy Ator seems to be "on schedule"...so, he should be arriving here between 12-1PM on the East Coast.

Now, if the rest of the crew gets here all in one piece...
Jim M.
Posted 2009-03-16 4:57 AM (#25035 - in reply to #25034)

Great Sage of the Sea

Now, if the rest of the crew gets here all in one piece...

I'm already here.. I think.. working today, off tomorrow.. if anyone wants a ride from the Visitor's Center to the Old Post Chapel.. I should be arriving at the Visitor's Center at approx. 0900. I will be visiting a friend's grave then going to the Old Post Chapel..
miss lumpy bumps
Posted 2009-03-16 5:02 AM (#25036 - in reply to #25035)

COMSUBBBS

Jim, I wasn't talking about you...but the "rapscallions" who are "hitch-hiking" North...I see one of them is on here.  Good morning, Ralph.  I will talk to y'all later.  I'm going to get me some chow.
Jim M.
Posted 2009-03-16 5:22 AM (#25037 - in reply to #25036)

Great Sage of the Sea

miss lumpy bumps - 2009-03-16 5:02 AM

Jim, I wasn't talking about you...but the "rapscallions" who are "hitch-hiking" North...I see one of them is on here.  Good morning, Ralph.  I will talk to y'all later.  I'm going to get me some chow.

Ah...right .. jolly good... don't worry, the boys from the South (includin' that Steamboat feller) will be met.. by the appropriate authorities..hehehehe
Curt
Posted 2009-03-16 6:06 AM (#25040 - in reply to #24454)

Old Salt

/////
See #8 for tomorrow... http://www.arlingtoncemetery.org/daily_schedule/3-17-09.htm
/////

I can see why Warshot preferred his middle name. "John Smith," you know??
ELT627
Posted 2009-03-16 12:09 PM (#25048 - in reply to #24454)
Mess cooking

Just arrived at the hotel where Georgianna is staying. Is there a gathering for supper tonight and if so where? Would someone call me on my cell phone and let me know?
I have a rent car and would like to see all of you if possible.
713-823-9687 is my cell.
Using hotel computer as I did not bring laptop.
miss lumpy bumps
Posted 2009-03-16 9:01 PM (#25052 - in reply to #25048)

COMSUBBBS

Hey Gil...I think ya found "us"...and I want to know who let out the "giggle patrol"...I haven't stopped laughing since arriving
here...and I want to thank everyone who signed my hat tonight...gotta remember to thank Whelan...he was the instigator...
the old "Miss Lumpy Bumps" has become a collectors item of sorts...gee, I hope there are no hiccups out there tonight.

Night all...early day tomorrow...have a good one!
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software